OT TRig Conditions (TRC) thread

As happy as I am about this on behalf of everyone else, I’d personally have rather had pattern transpose in the MIDI section and/or the option for pre-effects mute.

But this is still fantastic news.

OH, I haven’t read the whole thread yet but did anyone else notice “256 sample slots per project” in there?

2 Likes

Just in case you were unaware, each midi track can be transposed individually with the arp transpose setting, even if it’s not on…
I imagine you probably know about xvol and scenes for pre fx mutes, there’s also function+amp vol to drop it to 0 real quick… With a midi controller you can make a toggle that goes between 0 and 64 to amp vol…
Not negating your wishes, just suggesting workarounds… :wink:

4 Likes

I know about xvol and scenes, I just wish you could do it from the mixer screen. I didn’t realize the arp transpose would work for the whole track though, I thought plocked notes wouldn’t be transposed. Thanks for the tip!

EDIT: also, to be fair, I was downplaying how psyched I am about conditional trigs just to be contrarian, as soon as I posted that I texted my friend who I’m collaborating with right now specifically to tell him I’d have conditional trigs soon. We’re doing long, evolving, vaguely Berlin School inspired semi-improvised stuff so it’s actually a huge thing for my part in that.

I think I can probably pick up a Faderfox UC4 in a few weeks, so once I have that I can just set up a configuration with the faders controlling playback volume for pre-FX drops and another with them controlling track volume for normal mixing.

1 Like

A post was merged into an existing topic: Introducing Octatrack MKII

Copied and pasted from Elektronauts! :ecstatic:

3 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: Introducing Octatrack MKII

For a long time I noticed people swooning for OT trc and just thought, whatever… But in the last couple weeks I’ve been getting into them more on the Rytm and seeing how awesome they are. For me as well it’s mostly about getting longer sequences going well beyond our 64 step confinements, x:8 gives us 32 bars!
OT has track scale too, so at 1/8, 256 bars!! :grinning:
Random ones haven’t interested me too much but the pre and nei conditions I keep meaning to explore as these could get really interesting, launching certain sequences…
I didn’t know I’d get excited about this, but I’m feeling pretty stoked! :grinning:

3 Likes

Nor do I from my perspective, I like to leave things to chance, so I hope it will be possible … but there’s something odd about doing an ordinarily affirmative action like Yes arming an idle recorder for it then to not record on account of your settings … it’s user error to not anticipate the potential outcome, but I can still see that throwing someone … it just makes me wonder if recorder trigs will also have trig conditions (inc one shots) … I hope so but it wouldn’t surprise me if it went either way, but randomly recording into a buffer really excites me … yep, this has to happen

I’m VERY excited to hear that Conditional Trigs will be incorporated into the OT.

Assuming the OT gets the same “conditionals” as the AR & A4,

• Fill
  • _Fill
  • Pre
  • _Pre
  • Neighbor
  • _Neighbor
  • x:y
  • %

and if these “conditions” are applied in the MicroTiming window, then I hope they also apply to RecTrigs (which already get their own MicroTiming).

“Conditional RecTrigs” suggest an interesting possibility:
Many people are used to jumping between tracks to record one-by-one, but a carefully planned set of conditional RecTrigs could let the the FILL action (from Scale button) trigger a whole macro of behavior, such as re-arming the fill-conditioned recorders on (multiple) Flex Tracks, replace audio in multiple tracks simultaneously with one button.

This could create a method “one-touch looping” with the distinction of having its length determined by the Pattern’s/Track’s Scale.
I’d been frustrated with the fact that the PickUp machine could only change it’s loop length by setting RecLen on Rec Setup Page 1 by knob.
However, putting a fill-conditioned Rec Trig on step 1 of a Flex track would effectively have a Flex track’s play/reTrigger/reRecord “loop length” based loop directly from Track Scale, getting it closer to the “Scale-scaled PickUp” territory that I’ve been seeking.
…if only they could add the small connecting feature on the Rec Setup 1 page to make RecLen set to “TrackLength” (# of steps defined by track’s Scale), instead of 1…64,Max, …then the whole process could be much more rhythmically agile for all playback machines equally.

Also consider the OT’s “modularity” create a new level of useful conditions.
The OT interprets Part-assigned Recorders and PlayBack Machines, running with arbitrary assignment across tracks, tweaked by Scenes, all completely separate from Step or Live control by the Patterns…

…perhaps the OT’s conditional trigs could consider a few condition for OT-specific conditions

• FillActiveTrackOnly
  • _FillActiveTrackOnly
  • thisTrack’sRecorderRunning
  • _thisTrack’sRecorderRunning
  • neighborTrack’sRecorderRunning
  • _neighborTrack’sRecorderRunning
  • anyTrack’sRecorderRunning
  • _anyTrack’sRecorderRunning
  • Part# (1,2,3,4)
  • fader A>B (fader in left 2/3 )
  • fader A<B (fader in right 2/3 )
    … this way the middle 1/3 of fader travel would trigger BOTH conditions.

Inter-module conditions like these could REALLY raise the bar for OTs capacity for automatic and generative behavior… not to mention having Audio and/or MIDI sub-sequences from CrossFader or Parts

Elektrons continued support of the OT (and other products) makes me very proud to be an Elektron user.

9 Likes

This would be totally awesome!

I’m really happy about the conditional trigs for the OT. Elektron made my favourite machine even better. :loopy:

2 Likes

definitely. It opens up the possibilities to get some really interesting generative/feedback stuff going on!

3 Likes

Thanks so much for making this available on the MKI! I’m going to be living in the OT now. Much appreciated.

1 Like

Yeah this is going to be absolutely nuts for my OT+nord setup. Even just making tracks on the OT by itself will be enhanced greatly. I’m super excited for this!

2 Likes

If this is to be driven by the retrig menu, do we have direct access to that for Rec Trigs? Or are you guys only considering MIDI loop back WRT conditional recording?

Got a MK1 almost new…Man this thing is amazing! And now they are gonna upgrade? Jeez…

You can micro time record trigs, the page exists, so hopefully we get conditions there…

1 Like

Good point about the track scaling. OT will have a “pattn lenght” of up to 128 bars! That’s quite a healthy number for a x0x sequencer :diddly: :diddly: :3lektron:

1 Like

Of course! Thanks. That’s even better :pray:t2:

i wonder if the Fill options are available with the Trig bonus upgrade for the OT.

That would be way cool, although i thought there was a custom button for the Fill to happen. Anyway if possible, having Fills would be amazing.

1 Like

You already can make “Fills” with one shots and Fn + Yes (Arm All). :wink:

4 Likes