OT save functionality [resolved]

I am trying to wrap my head around the way that the save function works with this device. I have had a couple of situations where I accidentally deleted a pattern and have been unable to recall by re-opening the previous save state. Are there certain functions that can not be recalled? or certain functions that are just always associated with cache memory or something? I just can’t understand why reloading would not reverse the mistake If I didn’t save. what is the proper protocol for creating backups?

Save your parts save your recorder buffers and save your project. The recorder buffers clear on power off so make sure you save your samples to slots

2 Likes

For me autosave and reload works well, my OT was often turned off accidentally because of my power socket (easy repair), I didn’t loose a thing.

Projects are auto-saved in .work files, and .strd files are created when you save the project. At that state there are identical.

If you make changes, the project is auto-saved and the .work files will differ from .strd saved files, unless you reload the project, or save it again.

A new project have .work files, but don’t have .strd files before saving.

If you want to make important changes but want to keep a previous version, use SAVE TO NEW and save it once done (otherwise no reload).

Recording buffers can be lost if you use file manager (card full !), and if you change project, turn off.

Parts are saved with Banks in projects. I don’t save them, unless I want to use Reload function. For live purposes, I’d save them.

3 Likes

Thanks for this response. so if I’m understanding you correctly, reloading the project has the same effect as saving the project in its current state? This functionality would really confuse me if that is the case. It seems like the whole point of a reload project function would be to return to a previous save state, essentially as a backup in case you accidentally ruin your project. I don’t understand what the reload function is doing in my case as it is not reloading the project as I saved it previously. It’s really not reloading anything at all as the parameters that I changed don’t even reset when I reload. Is my machine faulty?

1 Like

No, you are right. Reload sets your parameters back to the previously saved state so you are not wrong about that. Reloading a part resets your machines , effects, scenes, volume, parameter settings back to the previous saved state. Not your triggers or p-locks tho. I’m too new to probably troubleshoot what might be happening tho :blush:

1 Like

I was talking about files on the card. Sorry for confusion, but this is how it works ! :slight_smile:

Of course Save and Reload are different functions and Save creates backup files you can reload.

Ok I think I get it : you are confusing Part Reload and Project Reload, which is in Project Menu, not with the button combination ! :wink:

Part Reload will work once you saved the part(s).

I read that many times, but I don’t remember where… :thinking: It’s broken for sure, don’t throw it in the bin and send it to me ! I have a special Octatrack cemetary :smile:

2 Likes

Thank you for the support! I figured out what I was doing wrong and it was a total newb mistake.

I was trying to change project and then change back to the original project to reload and not using the actual reload function lol.

I now understand what you were saying in terms of the .work vs. .strd files. :+1:t5:

3 Likes

Still having problems over writing my work.
Makes me scared to get something going that’s actually good, that I might lose it.
Say I just have 4 flex machines with samples.
Have t recorded any patterns or anything. Do I need to do a save as or something to prevent me from screwing things up? Almost wish I could disable the auto save and just reload something if I mess it up, like on other sampler type of machines. I’m having a hard time wrapping my head around this and I need to grasp this in order to move forward.

When you like where your at save the part and I’d also the project. The part save will let you reload all the settings used on the edit pages, fx, machine assignments, a few other things. You can mess everything up even switch machine and part reload snaps it back instantly even when playing. Saving project allows you to reload to the exact state the project was at when you saved.

1 Like

And when you want to be super cautious, you can always use “Save as new” to create a new project from the actual one. This way you can pile up tons of backups and you can go back to each of them whenever you want. CF cards are large and cheap. There is no need to be greedy with backups … :slight_smile:

BTW: before making backups the COLLECT SAMPLES functionality may be useful, too. It copies all samples used in the project into the project directory itself. This way even when you delete the samples from the global audio pool of the set (subdirectory AUDIO) the backup of the project is still 100% working.

1 Like