OT and Piano ambient

Woke up with some ideas about the OT as a futuristic tape machine, surely inspired by the Hainbach videos I have been watching recently (though digital).

Recording into track recorders that are being played back by more than one flex machine all with different SRC, LFO, and FX is super-fun. Pressed record on a random two minute snippet.

Happy Tuesday.

28 Likes

I would listen to an hour or more of this. Yeah. Time to make an album. No pressure :wink:

4 Likes

:bowing_man: - a reply more kind than I thought I’d get. Thank you - I’ll get right on that album. :wink:

3 Likes

I am interested to hear about your workflow, lovely textures!

Thanks.

T1: Flex/Recorder1 - INAB - RLEN 16 - TRIG ONE - QREC/PLEN
T2: Neighbor
T3: Flex/Recorder3 - INAB - RLEN 16 - TRIG ONE - QREC/PLEN
T4: Neighbor
T5: Flex/Recorder1 
T6: Neighbor
T7: Flex/Recorder3
T8: Neighbor

48 bpm -> 5s for one bar

Record nice loops into recorders 1 and 3. Initially I had a more minor/diminished vibe, but replacing the recorder buffer contents once everything is playing is too fun. By the time I captured the main out, the recorded loops were I/IV/V major things.

Trigs on the one of each track, TRC 1:2, with LOOP on (this is important, since with lower RATE, playback exceeds a single bar). Scenes with different settings for SRC/RATE (make sure RATE is TSTR) for tracks 1 and 3. RATE 32 + PTCH -12 is as close to Hainbach tape I’ve found. Track 5 has some pitch p-locks, and track 7 has a random LFO on pitch, with trigs on 1/5/9/13. Don’t be afraid of negative rate… Reverse play into the effects is nice.

All effects are engaged, with neighbor typical chain is LOFI -> Delay -> Filter -> Dark Rev. Copies of scenes introduce more SRR and BRR for extra fuzziness, delay time is typically 48, filter is used to tame high frequencies (and often has LFO on WIDTH for tremolo-ish). Some scenes also XLEV out some layers, so as extra lo-fi comes in, lower registers drop out.

Performance is then scene/crossfader manipulation - and if you’re feeling spicy, overwriting the recorder buffers live.

Pretty fun.

11 Likes

This is beautiful! How about sharing the whole project?

1 Like

Thanks.

The recorder buffers are lost because of power-off, but here’s the project file. Chances are that putting almost anything in recorder buffers 1 & 3 will result is something, ha!

AmbientPiano.zip (67.9 KB)

Warmly.

13 Likes

I’m totally playing some saxophone into this project tonight. That’s no innuendo.

Edit - I really wish that record trigs could have conditional options.

1 Like

Great stuff, thanks for workflow details, just skimmed it now but will revisit it next tume i power up the ot.

Thank you very much!
I’ll give it a try with hang drums and/or cello.

1 Like

Hi!
Thanks for sharing!
I tried to open OP project in OT but it seems there’s nothing…just 8 static tracks with normal filter delay fx…no trigs…no recorder trigs…is it normal? Have someone other tried it successfully?
Thanks!

OP here.

That’s unfortunate. I’ve never shared a project before, maybe I did something wrong? I dragged the folder from the CF card to my drive and zipped it up. Is there more to it than that?

I would try again, but I changed it quite a bit yesterday afternoon. Maybe it’s lost to the sands of time. :wistful:.

Take care.

1 Like

I wouldn’t say you done something wrong, it was more what i’m doing wrong… :wink:
I think the procedure is as you say, so maybe, it was lost to the sands of time …hehehe…
Don’t worry to much, i changed it and started to put some recording trigs and fx…no piano here, I was doing some noise with kalimbas…must try one day with my upright bass…
Thanks anyway for trying to find an answer!

2 Likes

Maybe your samples are in AUDIO folder.
You can use Project > Collect Samples function to copy used samples in the project folder.

Default recordings folder is AUDIO but you can select PROJECT FOLDER in Personalize menu, so that recordings are already in project folder.

2 Likes

Lovely stuff, this has a bit of the same vibe as Alva Noto and Ryuchi Sakamoto’s work together!

Lovely. I have encountered both these artists, but didn’t know their names. Lots to listen to now, :slight_smile:

Ooh yeah you should definitely check all their collaborative albums, they are on Spotify etc. I think “Insen” is my favourite but they are all good. Individually, Alva Noto is much more experimental electronic (really awesome stuff) and Sakamoto has done all sorts (his latest album Async is fantastic), but together they make this really beautiful, primarily glitchy piano based music :slight_smile:

Awesome to see live too, there are videos of their performances on YouTube… austere German dude with a laptop and sine wave generator on one side, Sakamoto opening up the piano and smacking the inside and all sorts on the other, and awesome visuals.

1 Like

awesome sounding setup, need to test this sucker out, thanks for sharing :slight_smile:

1 Like