OT 1.25H RE: Recorder Trig Sampling

Can someone please confirm this is not a bug?

1. Create a New Project
  2. Set Control>Memory>

Flex Format 16-Bit
Dynamic Recorders Yes
Recorder Format 16-Bit
Reserve Recordings R1
Reserve Length 256

1. Exit and Yes
  2. Input source AB and CD - Mixer 127 for both Ins
  3. Recorder 1 Setup 1

RLEN MAX
TRIG ONE2
SRC3 -
LOOP OFF

1. Recorder 1 Setup 2

FIN/FOUT 1 Step

1. Pattern Settings>PAT>Scale Mode>Per Track
  2. Scale Setup

Master 256
64 Steps
Multiplier x1/8

1. Rec On
  2. Track Trig Edit
  3. REC.TRG and enter a One Shot Recorder Trig
  4. Play

Notes: The Track Recorder still records after passing over one shot recorder trig. Double click Playback T1 and assign Flex Recording slot R1. Then open Track Edit and you can eye ball the recording. Isn’t one shot recorder trigs meant to trig sampling only once and then stop recording?

After much regression, there seems to be a ghost in the machine, that is it’s reproducible on my machine but needs verifying on another persons machine before I submit this issue to Support and perhaps waste their time.

I have 2x audio input sources with the Mixer channels up full, after creating an empty project. Sync some machines, Rec On and enter a one shot trig via Track Trig Edit. Press Play.

What’s observed is the recording passes over the one shot trig after sampling is initiated and continues recording 'til the track buffer is full. This device is a new machine and shipped with OS 1.25H, a past Octatrack I owned shipped with an OS prior to 1.25 and sampling via Recorder Trig Sampling worked as described, obviously.

I’d value an Elektronaut confirmation. Additionally, the OS has been flashed again with OS 1.25H with no solution.

Not 100% sure as I don’t have my OT set up at the moment, but wouldn’t you need to re-arm the one shot trig to trigger the recording to stop, because it is set to ONE2? Having RLEN set to max means it will keep recording until it is told to stop.

I usually use the ONE2 setting with a direct recording setup and, for me, I have to press to start recording and then press again to stop recording. Its a 2 step procedure.

Hey djenzyme, thanks for chiming in, I could’ve sworn in previous revisions one shot trig initiated sampling and also stopped sampling once the loop was complete by passing over the one shot trig again. Incidentally, re-arming the one shot trig initiates sampling again and having RLEN set to max is because the sequencer is running scale multipliers. So, using one shot trig automation does not create perfect looping when using scale multipliers. Doesn’t having to manually stop sampling defeat the purpose of automated one shot trig sampling? This is why I wrote a bug report and seeking confirmation as I could have sworn it automatically stopped but if it’s pilot error so be it.

I use the scale multipliers all the time too, four bars is just not enough for me :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

The way i have my recorders set up, I have RLEN set to PLEN and use ONE2. This way I can capture the exact length of the patterns and the recording is perfectly quantised to the start and end of the pattern.

Not too sure about your problem, but I thought one shot recorder trigs are only active for 1 pass, I might have that wrong though.

My understanding of one shot recorder trigs seems to be the same as yours, however my point is simply automating a stop sampling. Recorder Setup RLEN set to max does not automate a stop.

Say, I’ve created this great grinding synth pad on the MnM, run it through an effects unit with a very slow phaser that takes roughly 512 steps (1/8 Multiplier) to complete one cycle (maxima) 64x2x2x2=512 multiplied steps. Allocated reserve track recorder RAM, hit Play, set a one shot trig so that the sample includes the decay, delay and reverb tails at the start of the loop upon initiating sampling and automate a stop sampling, wait you can’t.

djenzyme, can you explain how I set RLEN to PLEN, please? And in the above scenario would the way you setup your Recorders work for me?

Sorry I didn’t explain that correctly, I did say I didn’t have the OT in front of me!

The way I have it set up is RLEN=MAX and QREC=PLEN. The only drawback is it only starts recording at the 2nd pass at the earliest meaning the ‘tail’ of the previous pass is ALWAYS recorded, it cannot be avoided.

I’m not sure if it will work for your needs, but you can certainly capture perfect loops beyond 64 steps and until you run out of memory. I should point out that this setup does not use recorder trigs, you just hold a track button combined with the AB or CD while the pattern is playing. Recording begins on the next pass of the pattern.

Thank you djenzyme, it’s been good bouncing thoughts and ideas, you’ve helped out heaps. By the way, dig your avatar image.

Thank you! If you did want to try the method that I use, its described in this thread :

http://www.elektronauts.com/t/64-step-recording-sequencing/9643

djenzyme, thanks for that link, I now see what you mean, that method although not automated, starts and stops sampling at the duration of the pattern what ever that length maybe and that works perfectly fine for me, well it has too, it’s the only way. Again, you’ve been very helpful, thank you.