Open Letter To Elektron

Pickup machines can sync to clock. What do you mean by non destructive?

edit: @bluewolfse7en… I tried to quote but this forum is a bit weird for me sometimes.

You see. Things like this. Real user problems. Where do we stand on these?
I’ll throw another one in (though I said I wouldn’t): move the Track Mute to pre-fx so the audio doesn’t completely cut off when you mute a track. Even better, add a Customisation parameter to decide if you want mute pre or post fx.

1 Like

Interesting thread.

popcorn.gif

The one thing I don’t see is an OT 2.

It’s really not that old tbh and you’re more likely to see an updated MnM or MD, but seeing as they now have the A4 and rytm I’d dare say that there’s no rush to replace those older machines, even though they are digi vs analogue, I would, however, think that is where resource would go before replacing the OT. There’s simply nothing that’s like it out there so why make a mk2? Makes no sense.

take a look at some of the better instruments of time, they weren’t replaced inside a decade, this is one of the better creative weapons of this millennia

Elektron giving out their roadmap? No chance. They might as well help the opposition get their customer base. I’d love to know as much as the next user if there will be new engines/machines whatever for us to use but after 25 years in music tech I’m used to not knowing and stopped expecting companies to tell me a looooong time ago.

Going back to scenes anyway, I’m deep into it right now

Try to overdub or change pitch or do most anything with a pickup machine other than straight record while synced to external clock.

The OT is unique and despite my comments over the years I still own 2 of them and do not foresee getting rid of either of them.

Fix bugs, shore up shaky promised features, maybe throw in something new and call it a day.

Hey JSZ
Yeah by non destructive i mean like the erase head has tape over it so you can layer.
With External clock you can loop Flex machines but they are destructive.
Pickup machines allow you to overdub but only when running on Internal clock! Clock Externally & you get the infamous ‘Dub abort’ message!
http://www.elektronauts.com/t/pickup-machine-as-slave/6014
http://www.elektronauts.com/t/pick-up-machine-help/1649
http://www.elektronauts.com/t/a-bunch-of-questions-before-i-spend-1-2k/5687page:2
http://test.http://www.elektronauts.com/t/pickup-machines-sorely-missing-functions/12357

Well, almost 2 years of development of Overbridge so no attention for Octatrack OS.

Overbridge seems to be the path for the future of Elektron and i can’t imagine that the whole Overbridge thing will be only for the Analog series. 2 years of development and every time with a new computer or DAW OS they have to work on Overbridge to keep Overbridge running. So much trouble only for the Analog series I don’t think so. Something so big as Overbridge must be for the complete Elektron line!

Just my opinion about the Octatrack, a mkII is not the solution. Workflow on the Octatrack is way more cumbersome than intuitive… The Octatrack needs a complete redesign to do it right!

So invisible silence from Elektron and time will tell!

If I had to narrow down to 2 requests it would be this plus pitching using speed (like any cheap sampler).

In my book, there were already two new versions of OT OS in 2015, and 4 in one year.
It’s unfair to say OT is forgotten.

Hey JSZ
Yeah by non destructive i mean like the erase head has tape over it so you can layer.
Pickup machines allow you to overdub but only when running on Internal clock! Clock Externally & you get the infamous ‘Dub abort’ message!
[/quote]
Yeah this is a shame, I am not sure they can fix it though, a tiny deviation in the perceived clock upsets the looper concept.
Even with sample accurate midi clock at the input to the octatrack you will get this problem. My theory is that the octatrack is possibly too sensitive to midi clock changes, so even when there is no change its own internal clocking of the midi input stream detects one and shifts.
I’ve raised the above with them, with an example that highlights it, even without using the pickup machines and they were suprised by the bug and said they would look into it. Just for those interested an example would be:
Sound input to AB on octatrack

Track 1 record machine set to AB, 16 step pattern, 16 step sample length with a trigger on step 1.

Track 1 play machine set to Flex1 Record machine, sample on step 1. playback mode on timestretch is on.

If you have this setup with external sync to the octatrack, even the most accurate of midi clocks will drop the sample recording every so many loops, it just cuts out.

Switching the timestretch off sorts it.

2015 is a puzzling chapter in the Elektron story.

1 Like

Wonder how long it will be before the Octatrack is no longer technically supported- must be well into its 8 year lifespan. Dont panic though, you will still be able to buy the parts they won’t have to fix it with from them.

It’s been a good ride and I’m not holding my breath for anything else. If you wanna ride the update cycle buy an analog machine. I feel like people cheat themselves a bit by getting hung up on the OT’s feature list. Make music and when ya hit an obstacle, be creative about it.

I want something new from Elektron. A mixer. A video synth. Something cheap, like a cute little Elektron machine. Multi fx unit. A flute.

Hey JSZ
http://www.elektronauts.com/t/pickup-machine-as-slave/6014
http://www.elektronauts.com/t/pick-up-machine-help/1649
http://www.elektronauts.com/t/a-bunch-of-questions-before-i-spend-1-2k/5687page:2
http://test.http://www.elektronauts.com/t/pickup-machines-sorely-missing-functions/12357
[/quote]
I did not know about this, I very rarely have anything else than the OT as master. I thought you meant starting the PU recording synced to the already running sequencer, my bad.

There are very good hardware around that is not any longer build, like the Spectralis or the MC909 or the Octupus sequencer. Most of the new equipment i see, does not have the features of the old era.

If Elektron announces a sales stop without announcing a MK2 version, i would by another one, just for backup purposes.

I just want to see the start point CC actually update the start point without a ~150ms lag (obviously it’s possible because there’s a workaround, although it’s awkward). Oh and for direct trigger to work on MIDI tracks. Other than that I’m pretty happy with it as it is.

I’m suddenly glad i’ve never come home to my OT having sliced and resampled my house.

i sorta stand by what i tried to suggest, as evidenced from some replies - by having these unfocused unseen informal feedback sessions we do ourselves no favours in terms of giving Elektron a helping hand in channeling the little time they may be able to attribute to finesse points and incorporate subtle universally sought user enhancements - i think we can’t expect too much insight from them, but by collectively highlighting genuine verified issues we can at least hope that those would get attention or feedback, especially (as re-stated already in this thread) if they are asked directly - there’s zero point of putting it on here imho
there’s no doubt that taking on individual issues and debunking/proving/understanding them is an onerous task -but it seems like the only way to to potentially influence the development path whilst they are busy supporting and developing newer products
talking about it here and getting upset that nothing changes is hopelessly naive imho - take for example the discussions (which i have contributed too) on the slice trigging via midi - there’s a lot of user insight there and not one single bit of feedback that i recall from elektron - we’ve demonstrated an unfortunate constraint and suggested workarounds - but nobody’s asked why it may be that way, i don’t think we can assume that every issue has a solution, it’s potentially a valid constraint as much as it may be a fixable oversight - the point i’m making is that we talk about our frustrations on here and keep bringing it up periodically - there’s nothing about this approach which isn’t a recipe for festering frustrations
let’s thrash it out (any big issue) and ask directly/collectively if it is something that can be fixed and then patiently cross our fingers rather than regurgitating these frustrations every month or so
surely the pre-fx post-fx mute thing has been commented on officially over the years, if not, wouldn’t it be a simple thing to get some quick feedback on (assuming it’s a gripe shared by many and there’s no obvious reason why it is that way once it is thought through) , it may be a simple matter to put to bed one way or another (like most of the impossible feature requests which are trotted out time after time)
as before, just my pennies worth - when i get the time i’m hoping to get to the bottom of why the pickup machines got dropped from their pr spec for the machine and to also highlight the areas where it fails to work as expected/described - but ruling out user error, expectation issues, lack of understanding etc takes time and support from the interested parts of the community.
anyway, this is a bit off topic in terms of what the op was looking for - but i’d urge anyone who has a particular problem (the midi slice trigger thing is a very good example) to start a Focussed thread that can be linked to in a formal request for support feedback via the devs

Agreed.

Did neilbaldwin ask Elektron?

Agreed.

Did neilbaldwin ask Elektron?[/quote]
my point exactly - plus when it’s done collectively and illustrates a real issue it’ll be more likely to solicit a response - i can predict the response to a solitary user’s conceptual query, but there’s often been some good insight coming out of gothenberg voluntarily so you never know, but here’s not the place