Oh Octatrack, can we make this work?

Hello Octatrackers!

I used to be like you.

I used to dream in black, grey and red. In fact, there was a time when I didn’t know where my Octatrack ended and I began.

Unfortunately she never seemed to play nice with the rest of my gear, especially all those ones and zeros, which is on me of course, but I suppose this along with the hours spent trying to figure her out, meant one dark evening, I decided we should part ways.

It’s me dear friend, not you.

It’s been a tough few years. Remembering the fun we had, the memories we shared - often at 4am with no one else around to witness the magic. I just feel we shared a bond no one else could really understand.

It’s always been niggling at me, though, could we have made it work? I know I should just try and move on but I find myself thinking about how we could rekindle the relationship, only to be shaken out of my trance by concerned friends shouting at me ‘but she wasn’t good for you mate, you know that’! Surely we’ve both matured since then though, right? I just fear we’d fall into the same co-dependent existence again - I need to hang out with other gear too you know!

So I’ve been doodling away in my notebook on how I could make this great reunion work, really just trying to find a way to justify that which I know I’ll do anyway, but I’d really appreciate if some of you more knowledgeable people could take a quick look and advise me on any potential problems. I want to have my computer involved for various reasons, but I feel latency could be an issue, and, is midi latency a thing??

So the plan is:

Bitwig Slaved to Octatrack

Midi:
Bitwig sends midi to Octatrack (from clips or keyboard input)
Octatrack midi tracks send the same incoming midi out to channel 1-8 depending on which midi track is selected (1-4 back into Bitwig for controlling VST synths, 5-8 for controlling hardware synths)

Audio
Synths 1-4 are VSTs in Bitwig, synths 5-8 are hardware which goes into an audio interface into Bitwig.
Bitwig sends all 8 audio tracks through the audio interface to Octatrack A/B
Octatrack tracks 1-4 either have through machines or sample the incoming audio, and manipulate it in that way only an Octatrack can.
Octatrack is in studio mode so sends these 4 tracks of audio directly back into Bitwig.

What I like about this setup is:

In Bitwig I can write chords/melodies or tap keys and easily choose where this midi data is sent by simply selecting an Octatrack midi channel, and I can immediately write this midi to the Octatrack sequencer if I chose to.

Four Octatrack tracks are going directly into Bitwig, I can perform with scenes etc and then these can be mixed alongside a larger project.
I can utilize some of my favorite plugins alongside Octatrack and hardware goodness.

It just feels very cool to have Bitwig taking orders from Octatrack.

While input C/D and tracks 5-8 remain unused, I know they will easily get used , I just want a bare bones understanding of whether the above will work

So my main question is whether latency could be a problem/whether this could be overcome, and also whether there is anything about this setup that just simply won’t work, or seems rather silly.

Really appreciate any feedback you can give,

Cheers

1 Like

Latency, in this instance, comes down to a few things:

• Your audio interface, and its capability to operate at lower latencies. Modern MOTU, RME, Apogee, Focusrite (Scarlett MK2 and Clarett), and Universal Audio interfaces are best in this regard.

• Your computer’s CPU. This will help in running your interface at a low 64 samples buffer.

• The plug-ins you choose. Look for plug-ins with 0 added latency. Like Waves, Audio Damage, *some Kush, *some WaveArts, etc. Be mindful about using compressor/limiters with lookahead.
    " * " = some plugs have an option to toggle OFF “oversampling” and will work at 0 added latency.
    Of course these are audio processing plug-ins. Not all modern synth plug-ins are low latency. Do some research and use the ones that will operate at lower latencies. I know that NI Reaktor/Monark are 0 added latency.

I use my OT MKII with Ableton in a very similar way that you describe, and I go into greater detail in this post. , and there’s a healthy discussion regarding latency in the comments.

OT + DAW is a monster, but a great interface, solid computer, and carefully chosen plug-ins all combine to make all the difference.

Good luck!

Thanks so much for the quick, precise and positive reply!

I will read through your post tomorrow, it looks extremely helpful.

Great line to fuel my enthusiasm! And while I’m pretty confident in my computer and have plenty of plugins I can cherry pick, I’m very much in the process of clearing out what I don’t need and building a streamlined setup, so this is advice i will give close attention.

Out of interest do you use this setup in the studio, live or both? It would be very tempting to drop the computer for live use but I do like the idea of being able to play plugins live, if the latency can handle it.

Hope others will chime in with any experiences they have of using a similar setup with so much back and forth of audio and midi, especially any experience using Bitwig in such a way…

1 Like

Studio only.

For live, I just play back the DAW VST recordings as stems on the OT, and be sure to mangle them up nicely with the cross fader.

1 Like