Octatrack Tips & Tricks (OT Tips)

This thread is amazing! I just got my new Octatrack and loving these tips.

1 Like

This ones good too: :smiley:

4 Likes

maybe a dumb first post, but i havn‘t seen this yet:

if you‘re in the flex or static slot list, you can select the next sample in the folder by pressing function + right to switch a sample very fast (or function + left to select the previous one). never seen this and is very practical if you sorted your samples by category.

dont kill me! :slight_smile:

cheers!

8 Likes

I wonder what’s the benefit of this? Is there a difference to press arrow up / down + yes instead of press func + arrow up / down?

on slot 1 you load a kick (kick1.wav) by selecting the slot, press yes (or right cursor), then the disk
menu pops up and you select your sample by pressing yes again.

if you highlight slot1 with your kick now and press function + right, it changes the sample to kick2.wav without further menu popping up or yes pressing.

hope that makes it clearer (or maybe i did miss something on my third manual run :))

1 Like

Clancy’s “separate patterns per track” workaround which is far less limiting now that we have trig conditions to make 16-step patterns evolve more <3<3<3 : Separate track patterns. Is it possible?

2 Likes

Didn’t know this! Great to know

2 Likes

:thup:
Also been playing with paste and paste again (=undo paste) at any time during the bar for fills etc.

4 Likes

Cool feature I didn’t know :
When Arp is activated, if note LENgth = 0, it plays a chord. :thup:

Exemple here, just 1 bar midi track with arp, TRC, random lfos on LEN and arp NLEN, VEL
Playing Micromonsta (monotimbral 8 voices synth), just tweaking its filter.
The idea is to play bass, chords, lead on 1 midi track.

Didn’t see it the manual. Is it well known ?

LEN sets the duration of the notes. When a note has finished playing a NOTE OFF command will be sent. A max setting equals infinite note length. This setting also controls the length of an arpeggio. When the set time has elapsed the arpeggio will be cut off.

After reflexion, from above it is logical if it’s deactivated with LEN with 0 value, as the set time is already elapsed. :slight_smile:
I was using Arp mode plock / lfo before, this LEN behavior is interesting too.

20 Likes

super simple tip:

to save a loop recording during a performance (to then revisit during the set or listen back to in grand solitude of the studio another day) - without interrupting the playback - use the menu option to “save a copy”.

7 Likes

good stuff! I am actually having the full manuals printed and bound at a local print shop since I like having a physical hard copy to read without using ipad or computer. Plus makes reading easier than stare at screen. People beef about not OB support but my biggest gripe is that Elektron is too stingy or cheap to provide a full hard copy printed manual for the MK2 products. They did provide for MK1 and sad they are not doing this anymore.

Fab find. The ot midi is my fav midi sequencer. Thank you

1 Like

Today’s thing.

On track 8 with delay trig control setup…

Add trigs for turning delay SND to zero , some to non zero
On the zero trigs , change the time value on the delay
Make the track free running , as one2
Make it a weird length and time multiplayer
Add a bit of a gap at the end of the pattern to reset the values , allowing you to easily stop the playback and make it sound normal.

Play track
Trig track 8 to play your pre specified delay control pattern whenever you want , press t8 to stop it.
Instant controlled delay things , let it play through , stop in the gap to return to normal or stop it during your trigs to have it continue trggering

Confusing ? Probably
Overall it hasn’t taken long to figure things out , there’s lots of options I haven’t used yet but I’ve done all the typical weirdness , not sure why I didn’t dig into octatrack earlier.

5 Likes

when sampling and resampling tracks, naming the file quickly requires lightning-fast reflexes [perhaps this is overstating the case]…

although i have already mentioned how upper caps and lower caps letters are the same for every letter, two levels directly above or below each other …

here’s another trick of the trade: the letter V sounds very similar in sound to the letter F, and these two letters are directly above/below each other.

now that i write this supposed “tip”, it doesn’t actually seem as valuable as i thought it would be.

anyway, naming files. it’s great. the alphabetical arrangement becomes like an organisational database technique of itself.

Freat tip. Vank you!

3 Likes

Vorgife me, I’m vrifolous, I ferivied, I’m not sure V and F sound the same, it’s convusing, that’s maybe avvectife.
I know you’re a verfent OT writer, gifing it new vlafours, fifivying wafevorm’s names.
Gife me vife ! :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Put grease on your hands and they’ll move quicker .

Use concrete to slow them down.

1 Like

it’s all about infusing that quintessential “va-va-voom!” into the track naming experience.

So valerius.

Can you time stretch the name processing algorithm?