Octatrack Time Stretch vs Dedicated Time Stretch Pedals

Recently got a Digitone, and I’m loving it so much I’m very much considering an Octatrack.

I’m primarily a guitarist, who plays a lot of effects, and I love a good time-stretch effect. I’m wondering if the time-stretch option on the OT is “better” than dedicated time-stretch pedals, like Cooper FX Outward, Red Panda Tensor, Pladask Fabrikat. Or, is the time stretch option on the OT pretty basic, and a dedicated pedal would be more useful?

I’d love to use the OT as a live signal processor for guitar in addition to its many other uses. And to help fund an OT, I’d probably sell off my Tensor… if the OT can do a convincing time-stretch.

(Or, does time stretching on OT only work on recordings rather than on live signals?)

Hi. OT is a great realtime fx for guitar, and you can use recordings immediately, hence timestretch (on recordings only, but in live conditions). Not the best timestretch, but it can be creative.

Shimmer test using Pitch Shift (timestrech on)

Guitar only straight in OT, “drums” are guitar signal processing

2 Likes

Wow, the guitar processing in the last clip is really good. The shimmer in the second is wonderful too.

I could see the time-stretching in the first clip being usable in some instances, but yeah, it does add some weird artifacts.

Thanks for the reply!

I layered several instances of the song, played with different speed hence phasing and artifacts. Totally exagerated settings. :tongue:

Anyway I don’t especially like timestretch in general, but some freeze fx are totally usable with OT.

Do you have sound examples of what you’d like to do with timestretch ?

3 Likes

I don’t really have examples. but if you look at the time stretch demos in the following YT demo of the Cooper FX Outward, that’s what I’m after. That may be a little ambiguous.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B541VoZ7TQo

2 Likes

Or ambitious ! Cool fx !
I’ll try to mimic it.

2 Likes