Octatrack studio mode....resampling T8

Hi guys really need some help…

So I have studio mode setup with T8 as master.

Tracks 1 + 2 are hard panned left through MAIN
Track’s 3 + 4 are hard panned right through CUE.

I have channels 1 - 4 setup in Ableton accordingly, and I am able to record individual outputs seperately perfect. Great! However…

I want to use T7 to resample T8 (master) for further mangling. When I resample I am only able to record the tracks that are audible through MAIN. I’ve set T7 record menu to SRC3 T8.

Surely I should be able to resample everything I hear regardless of whether it’s routed to MAIN or CUE? Or am I missing something simple.

Resampling is a huge part of my workflow so I’d appreciate any help with this.

Many thanks

SRC3 = T8 is acting just the same as Main in this case

Cue is a separate Mix for a reason - you’ll notice that exclusively Cued signals are NOT getting treated by the Master track FX on T8 because they don’t go there - so you’re not sampling them - this is as expected

You can hear both in your cans because you have the Master/Cue mix set accordingly, but the headphone Mix is a combination of two separate buses

I’m not sure how you’d simply record both to one buffer - there isn’t a Main+Cue source

2 Likes

There is, as you said, headphones. Not elegant, but maybe you can plug headphones to inputs and sample it…

2 Likes

nice fallback if headphones/inputs not tied up :thup:

especially since OT converters are decent :wink:

1 Like

I wonder if there are risks of feedback… :sketchy:

not if you just sample without realtime playback, I suppose it depends on use cases what will be acceptable or not

but it’s good to learn to think outside the box to get the most from the flexibility of the OT

Yeah that’s what I was thinking, as I usually use realtime playback. Feedback can be interesting though ! I used it with OT to A4 with Cue, à la Ohm Force Predatohm ! :loopy:

2 Likes

Yeah cheers for your replies guys, you confirmed what I thought.

It’s not a deal breaker. It can actally yield some interesting results and textures. My workaround is to set up two flex tracks…one to recruit main, one to record cue. Then resample those two tracks via T8.

Uses more tracks than I’d like but I can always use a different Part for resampling and a blank pattern

1 Like