Octatrack + Roland JU 06

Today I received the little Roland JU 06.
My idea was to use it for padsounds in my set up with AR, AK , A4 + OT…
But no matter where I put it in the chain, as soon as I start the OT the sequencer in the JU 06 starts to run and when I stop the sequencer in the JU 06 everything else in the chain after the Roland stops playing :frowning:
Any other idea rather than putting it at the end of the chain?
Has anyone else maybe any experience with it? I like the sound of the Juno very much and thought of it as a good choice for a multi timbral synth to take care of the pads rather than wasting 3-4 voices of the AK…
I only have the module and play it with the OT as the JunoSounds are not velocitiy sensitive anyway…

I don’t have a JU-06, but what happens if you set its MIDI Clock Source setting to “[2] (INTERNAL)”?

Its poor MIDI spec makes it seem as though it should go at the end of a MIDI chain anyway.

…but if I place it at the end after 1.OT 2.AR 3.A4 4.AK it doesn´t sound…
I have no clue how to get the MidiNoteMessages thru all the machines without making them sound… :frowning:
Any help is welcome here.
Thanks for your reply anyhow!

Probably I’ve missed something but: what do you mean with “in the chain after the Roland”? JU-06 hasn’t any Midi Thru or I’m wrong?

(Similar discussion here, might be helpful)

Did you try what I suggested with the JU-06’s settings?

Why don’t you also tell us what MIDI connection you have made in your setup at the moment? Be specific, like “OT MIDI Out to AR MIDI In”, “AR MIDI Thru to AF MIDI In” etc.

Also tell us which instruments are supposed to be doing what, for example “OT sequences AR drum sounds”, “AK is synchronized with OT” etc.

i initially made the sequencer have no notes in it, but default is a bit annoying as it triggers the seq

im pretty sure you just turn sync to internal instead of auto , but i also wondered if it might impact the delay in any way… i dont know if its tempo syncd or not.

this leads me to another question.

i have a social entropy engine linked to multiple boxes , all of which have their own internal sequencers.

do people generally just sync things up and trigger notes on the gear without an internal sequencer , or sequence everything from something like an Engine .

I’m unsure which way to go, though i did like using the tr8 for the main drums and triggering fills from the Engine over the top.

the ju06 sequencer is too basic , i plan to trigger notes from Engine.

Sorry guys for not beeing exact with my info !
I apologies…
My live set up is OT is the boss. MidiOut/OT into MidiIn/AR. MidiOut/AR into MidIn/A4. MidiOut/A4 into MidiIn/AK. The only Mididata that goes from OT all the way to the AK is MidiClock + Transport. They all run on their own sequencer ( so far )…
The idea was to put the JU 06 between the OT and the AR. I turned the Midiclock on the JU 06 to internal but than there is no sound (I put it on MidiChannel2 and run it on the same channel on one of OT´s MidiTracks).
I have no clue if there is a way to set the Midisettings on the ElektronBoxes that pressing the keys of the OT in ChromaticMode will only reach the JU 06 while placed at the end of the chain…

Use the Thru port to AR, but I see the JU06 only has IN and Out. Can you configure the Out to be a Thru?

…unfortuantely no :frowning:

Your setup, with 5 instruments (all of which include sequencers), is potentially very complicated.

For the signals from the OT to reach your entire chain, you will be temporarily better served by connecting:
[ul]
[li]OT MIDI Out to AR MIDI In,[/li]
[li]AR MIDI Thru to AF MIDI In,[/li]
[li]AF MIDI Thru to AK MIDI In,[/li]
[li]AK MIDI Thru to JU MIDI In.[/li]
[/ul]

Because the JU appears not to have a MIDI Thru feature, it is best for the moment not to put anything in a chain after the JU.

Depending on what settings you have on each machine, you might not get them all synchronized until we adjust some settings.

Perhaps in the short term, we could try simply using the OT to sequence the JU. If so, try the following:
[ul]
[li]connect OT MIDI Out to JU MIDI In,[/li]
[li]do not connect the other instruments for now,[/li]
[li]set the MIDI channel for one track of the OT’s MIDI sequencer to be a non-default number, for example 16,[/li]
[li]set the MIDI channel number for the JU to match the number you used on the previous step, for example 16,[/li]
[li]enter a sequence in the OT’s sequencer,[/li]
[li]try running the OT’s sequencer and see whether it plays back the sequence and sound comes out of the JU.[/li]
[/ul]

Report back with your progress and any questions

The thru port is you best option IMHO.
If everything else in the chain is running on its own sequencer the the second devices midi thru could easily be conned to the in of the Ju-06 and it would just pass on the sequencer data on that Midi Channel into the JU by default.
I am curious as to why you sync them via in to out into to out ?
I use my 2 x Monomachine’s and the A4 all independently and always go out to in on the first MnM then Thru to In on the other A4 and MnM.
This allows me to use the out on either MnM to sequence any other hardware away from the DAW or conversely to program more complex passages via my DAW to sequence parts on my my second MnM or A4 as well.
But my JD is sequenced via USB in Logic and the V-Synth is usually played live so my needs re probably a tad different to yours.
Phenol, the Audity 2000 and other bits and bobs usually get sequenced via one of my MnM’s invariably.

you could try a quadra thru box, 55 €, and is powered from OT:

http://www.thomann.de/de/midi_solutions_quadra_thru.htm?ref=search_rslt_midi+thru_183972_2

I use it myself, OT signal into qaudra thru, and from there 4 cables to 4 synths. works perfectly.

Woooow,
thanks for all the info and helpfull tips!
I will dive into all this information later
tonight!
Great forum and members, you rock!

1 Like

I use a Kenton Thru-5 to avoid this kind of hassle. Compared to the Quadra it comes with an extra A/C adapter, which seems to make it a little less error prone, judging by the feedback at Thomann.

1 Like

Your setup, with 5 instruments (all of which include sequencers), is potentially very complicated.

For the signals from the OT to reach your entire chain, you will be temporarily better served by connecting:
[ul]
[li]OT MIDI Out to AR MIDI In,[/li]
[li]AR MIDI Thru to AF MIDI In,[/li]
[li]AF MIDI Thru to AK MIDI In,[/li]
[li]AK MIDI Thru to JU MIDI In.[/li]
[/ul]

Because the JU appears not to have a MIDI Thru feature, it is best for the moment not to put anything in a chain after the JU.

Depending on what settings you have on each machine, you might not get them all synchronized until we adjust some settings.

Perhaps in the short term, we could try simply using the OT to sequence the JU. If so, try the following:
[ul]
[li]connect OT MIDI Out to JU MIDI In,[/li]
[li]do not connect the other instruments for now,[/li]
[li]set the MIDI channel for one track of the OT’s MIDI sequencer to be a non-default number, for example 16,[/li]
[li]set the MIDI channel number for the JU to match the number you used on the previous step, for example 16,[/li]
[li]enter a sequence in the OT’s sequencer,[/li]
[li]try running the OT’s sequencer and see whether it plays back the sequence and sound comes out of the JU.[/li]
[/ul]

Report back with your progress and any questions[/quote]
Your first version got them all synced, WUNDERBAR !
The only thing that is possibly a problem with JU 06 OS
is the fact that the sequncer starts running every time I
hit play on the OT. I changed the clock on the JU 06 to
internal and now it works! I don´t know why but before
the MidiIn of the JU 06 didn´t took any note on/off at
all after I switched the clock to internal…
So tomorow arrives my very own christmas present,
the MOTHER 32 let´s see how I will integrate it into the
system (it only has MidiIn). Maybe it is time for one of
the MidiThruBoxes that have been recommended :slight_smile:
Thanks again for the input of all of you!
I´m helpless with Midi so I might come back :wink:
Peter

1 Like