Octatrack questions

Yeah, I know how to clear buffers one-by-one. However a button combination or a menu option would be very useful to clear all recording buffers by a single action. Especially when recording live shit using multiple recording buffers for external sound sources and I have to restart the jam a lot of times because of mistakes :smiley:

I know you know. :slight_smile:
Just a reminder.

Did you try Memory Config changes ?
It clears all buffers.
You can change reserve length for example.
It stops sequencer unfortunately.

1 Like

No, I haven’t yet. I’m aware of this side effect of adjusting recording buffer settings but I find this method more artificial, difficult and risky than just clearing the slots one by one.
Don’t know if @Elektron can take this as a feature request of having a menu option to clear all recording buffers :slight_smile:

1 Like

It does worse than that - mutes all the slots

It happened to me, but last time I did it, it didn’t mute all slots. I had assigned samples for recordings.
Maybe it didn’t because I only changed reserve length…:thinking:

Yeah not sure with samples assigned in the recorders tbh. Plus I found the problem because I’m always turning off reserves completely - but in the ensuing discussion I think it was acknowledged that any memory settings caused it… But maybe tweaking reserve length gets by…

I have so little time to check lately but - wasn’t there a claim of a partial fix to this in the recent update release notes? Maybe they fixed it for static but not flex, or vice versa…

Here’s the reported acknowledgement (2 years ago!!)

2 Likes

When this comes up I always wonder why people clear the recording buffer instead of just recording again or mute if needed… :thinking:

3 Likes

Hello!

Guys, i accidently loaded files instead of recording buffers. And now i cannot set recording buffer to flex maschine. how to unload sample from slot?

Go above the slot > Fn + Play (Clear) to disassociate the sample from buffer.

plus it still works as a recording buffer even with the sample there - it gets overwritten

1 Like

Thanks for response! But i meant to clear slot. Already found out how to. ( In sample edit mode )

Hi all,

Not sure if there are any guidelines on bumping old topics, but as this is the “Octatrack Questions” topic, I thought this might be the most suitable place.

I’ve had my OT mk2 since a week and I love it. That said, it hurts my brain sometimes. I read the manual, the Merlin guide and watched countless tutorials. Yet, I run into issues that I don’t understand.

The situation is the following, I am building a track around a pretty long sample.
I first loaded into a flex machine on T5. I sliced it to my liking and saved sample settings.

I then loaded it into another flex-machine on T6 (using the same sample slot) so I can play the slices polyphonically.

I also manually saved the sample settings

No problem so far.

Now, I want to also play the sample in free play mode for the “break” part of the song.

As such, I’ve set up a static machine on T8. I loaded same sample (different sample slot, but these shouldn’t be shared between flex and static machines anyway right?). I’ve also set the track to 'free play". My intention was to trigger it manually once I arrive at the break in the song.

Now the problem: no matter what I do, the sample doesn’t start or end playing where I want it to.

I’ve tried to delete all slices, reset start, end and loop points and even cleared the sample slot a couple of times (and tried different ones as well).

If I press the button to trigger the sample manually, it always starts around the same point (where the cursor is below)

It does the same when I load up a completely different sample that I haven’t used before and I truly don’t understand what I am not getting here. Can someone enlighten me?

The strange thing is, I am able to make some changes by fiddling around with start and endpoints in Trim mode, but as I move one (start or end) the other moves as well. It seems to be fixed in someway?

Here are some more pictures of my settings:

If I remember correctly each machine doesn’t have its own sample pool, and the slice grid is linked to the individual sample.

I think the solution here is to make a duplicate sample without the slice grid, and refer to that for your free playing track.

2 Likes

Thank you, I will definitely try that. The strange thing is however, that the problem persists even if I use a completely unrelated sample.

Will report back though.

What is you SRC page START VALUE?
Check also if START is plocked to a scene…

In you settings pictures, I see that Slices mode is off, in SRC SETUP. In that case, Audio Editor Slices settings have no influence on start point, but SRC START value does.

2 Likes

So I have tried loading up the same sample under a different name, that doesn’t solve the problem. All samples I try seem to start about the same difference from the beginning of the file.

SRC page START VALUE = 0
LEN = 1

Tried playing around with different settings here. No luck.

No P-locks in place

As this problem persists over samples, could my problem be somehow bound to the TRK? If I go to pattern settings (FUNC + PTN)

The settings for T8 that I seen now are:

Start silent = AUTO
Plays Free = ON
Oneshot TRK = OFF
Trig mode = ONE
Trig QT = TR.Len

Edit: I found a work-around though, I now made one very long slice (from the beginning to the end of the sample) and trigger that instead. That seems to work.

I would still like to understand the problem though.

Maybe that is silly… and I should accept that ways of the OT are incomprehensible to mere mortals.

Maybe look to trigger the sample using a one shot trig instead? This should then always start from the assigned start point.

I think that when triggering the sample manually it will start wherever the cursor happens to be.

will try that later!

Thanks so much for all your help though. Much appreciated.

The Elektronauts community is a big part of why I love my Elektron gear so much.

In your second screenshot slices are off. Did you switch that on?

He has it set to quantized.

Even on Scenes A/B ?