Octatrack multitrack USB question

I’m fairly certain that there simply is no connection between the USB and the audio subsystems. Also, I doubt there’s the processing power that would be required. It’s my best guess though to be honest.

5 Likes

Yeah i saw that! Does that then allow multitrack recording? If so…then it might be worth it…

Spdif is 2 channels only.

1 Like

Hmmm…i admit i do not really know what im talking about…i just suddenly thought «how can that be truly impossible in this day and age»…

Right…

The USB on the ot is wired to transfer to the compact flash card and not to anything that routes audio unfortunately. This is what is meant when they say it can’t be done due to hardware restrictions.

4 Likes

USB on the OT only implements disk mode to give you access to the files on the flashcard. There is not even MIDI over USB.

In this day and age almost no synth/synth-like device implements multitrack audio over USB. The newer Elektron devices are quite an exception here, especially at their price point.

5 Likes

Yes, youre right obviously.

just to give you a perspective for your question.

Please name 3 synths from the top of your head, that are offering any audio-over-usb functionality. Not even multi-tracking, even one channel counts. No Elektron boxes, please.

3,2,1, off you go!

Roland boutiques, Virus ti, Jd-xi

But your point is totally valid. It isn’t many

1 Like

Yeah sure, no protest. I was actually more thinking about multitrack digital mixers…and then thinking about the possibility for a hack…since audio over USB is actually possible…

maybe Aira MX-1 is something to consider with 18 channels of USB audio

yes, now it’s possible and about 4-6 companies are doing that. Every one of these is writing their own firmware and tailoring their own hardware to make this work. There is no standard for this and no ready-made off-the-shelf solutions. Most of these audio-over-USB solutions are probably not future-proof and wont be used after company will disappear or will be dropping the development.

2 Likes

Although not something I’m desperate for, I must say I wondered if my mk 2 Octatrack had some hidden possibilities that were going to be unveiled over time as Elektron developed the mk 2 device further.

:grin:

1 Like

I still wonder why most companies use a none class compliant way to implement this, because it burdens the company to supply own drivers for each OS.

I mean class-compliance may be at first harder to get right, it may not have the lowest latency and you cannot extend it with your own features, but you get one side for free (plug-and-play) and it is future-proved as long USB exists.

Most companies completely underestimate how hard driver development and maintenance for multiple OS types and versions really is and also how crucial it is for customers.

2 Likes

Agreed. I’ll never buy an interface that isn’t class compliant again. Companies just aren’t going to continue to support 10 year old drivers and I can’t really blame them. Seems like a win-win if everyone just goes class compliant.

Possibly, but it won’t be Overbridge…

I want to be clear - the OP was not a OB moan - i simply wanted to understand the tech better and i hadnt heard any discussion about USB OT streaming as something apart from OB.

2 Likes

Cheers for the link.

It’s the best machine I have regardless.

1 Like

Sorry for the zombie post, but the Roland MC-707 does multi-track audio over USB…however, its limitation is outrageously limited sample length…60s per project :broken_heart: