Octatrack MKII, Digitakt Sampling Comparisons

Hi All,

I finally got a MKII Octatrack and have been pouring over it. I had a MKI awhile back and never vibed with it … too much menu diving, etc… to take you out of making music. Anyway, I got the Digitakt awhile back and it’s ease of use/immediacy wet my tastebuds again for Electron Samplers and I thought I’d give the Octatrack another go … this time the MKII.

There are a few features I’m really digging on the Digitakt that I’m trying to figure out how to use similarly on the OT.

1. I like to take a sample (Say a Guitar) in the DT and set different Parameter Locks within the Sample … So, for example, Start, End, Loop, Reverse, etc… It’s a nice way to mix a sample up. Anyway, I know I can go into the Audio Editor in OT and Slice it that way, and then edit it and do those things.

My question is … Is there a way to this “on the fly” as you can in Digitakt? Like, have the Sample playing, and immediately start setting Parameter Locks on what I mentioned above … without having to stop, and menu dive? I’d like to have the Sample Open/Playing and Start adding those varieties in to individual steps without having to Slice, Choose a Slice, Edit the Slice, etc… I hope this makes sense. Basically looking for similar workflow to the DT. Thanks

3 Likes

yes

1 Like

lol … thx

any possibility for details on how to do this?

cheers

1 Like

Press and hold the the trig key and adjust the parameter of your choice.

1 Like

I’m kind of in the same boat, I got an OT mk2 because I enjoyed my digitakt so much. I wanted the OT to basically be a digitakt but with time stretch and song mode. What I have found is that they are completely different instruments and their took kits are complementary.

I don’t know how to do exactly what you are asking on the OT, but in general if you can do what you are looking for on the DT you should just plug your DT into the OT and use them together playing off their strong points.

U can do all your sample editing while the track is still playing, there never really is a need to stop playing the pattern at all, this is also true with MK1. You can even set all the parameters before even selecting or recording a sample and when you load a sample in all the parameters and edits/slices will remain.

I suggest checking out the manual and merlins guide, there is no reason you should have sold the MK1 to get the DT in the first place, the features were all there.

I understand how parameter locks work … maybe re-read the question?

I find the internet interesting when people presume to tell you what you should or shouldn’t have done knowing a bare minimum of details. Maybe I’m old-fashioned.

I have checked out the manual, and couldn’t find what I wanted, which is why I’m here.

What’s the purpose of the forums, if people just comment saying “check out the manual”.

I agree with Robert above the DT is different than the OT and I understood that coming back into it. I’m just asking if it’s possible to do what I’m after. If you don’t know, probably just best not to respond? That’s what I would do anyway.

1 Like

didnt mean to come off in any negative way but its just that this particular feature you are asking about is one of the main selling points of the OT and it is kind of a basic feature of the box. Im just trying to give advice for your wallet cuz I do feel that if you had just spent just some more time with the OT Mk1 u wouldnt have had to get a DT and then the Mk2.

I don’t take it negatively … maybe just presumptive.
Also, I want the DT + the OT, they are different.

If this particular feature is so prevalent and a main selling point, can you point it out?

I think it’s possible you might be missing my question, or I’m not explaining it well enough. I understand parameter locks, slicing, editing, reversing, all of that … I’m trying to do this in a similar fashion that I’m able do it on the DT, but it seems I have to menu dive a bit on the OT.

Let’s make this easy.
How can I parameter lock a reverse, or start/end, etc… at any point on a sample without slicing it, as you can do on the DT? I think this is the best phrasing.

1 Like

Hi All,

I posted a question yesterday and I don’t think I worded it very well.

On my DT I’m able to easily Set Parameter Locks (Hold down a Trig and Edit a Parameter) in the SRC Audio Editor for things like STRT, LEN, LOOP, LEVEL, TUNE, PLAY, Etc…

Can I do the same thing in the OT? I can’t seem to figure it out, or maybe it doesn’t allow me. I’m able to Slice a Sample, Edit a sample, etc… But I seem to be unable to do what’s described above. When I’m in the Audio Editor and Try to Set Parameter Locks for Start/End it doens’t allow me to. It really kills the vibe to have to menu dive and choose those things.

Again, this might just be DT vs. OT difference … I just want to make sure I’m not missing something I want in OT.

Thanks