Octatrack MKII crossfader - it often gets stuck

5 Likes

Mine is smooth as hell, but if i push it upwards or downwards really hard and then try to push it left-right, it will be a little resistance…

1 Like

I have to pull downward a bit to ensure its smoothness in every situation when moving :smiley:

Since the mk II is brand new, I’d contact elektron support and ask for service under warranty or a replacement. There should be none of this sort of sticking with the xfader.

3 Likes

cute but rather modest sounding compared to regular scratching IMO. Reminds me a lil of those controllerist scratches, although this actually sounds more musical than most

1 Like

My mk1 has a tad of resistance if I am pressing upward as well as left or right, the shaft that it’s on can move up or down just barely like a millimeter or two and I believe it just rubs the dust protector slightly and has some resistance… Mine won’t get stuck though, just more resistance…
If these have the same dust protector material I would check if that’s rubbing or getting caught…
It’s bugged me a little here and there but not enough to send it in, I might be able to open it up and tighten something on the shaft to fix the slight wobble and cure it…

2 Likes

Going off topic but yeah, vinyls are unbeatable.
Ot can mimic simple scratch. You’d need to map start/pitch/rate with crossfader position and speed to do better emulation.

So with MKII you think it’s better for scratching with a turntable ? Maybe more weight needeed…

I’ve never had an issue with this on the MKI (but I have a pretty light hand on the fader), but IIRC there’s a set screw for internal resistance adjustment in the fader (moves a magnet that changes how heavily it sits on its rails, I think). I’ve never opened mine up so I don’t know, bu0 tit’s possible that increasing the resistance a little might also help keep it from having enough play to drag on the sides.

Here’s a PDF with adjustment instructions for an Infinium optical crossfader, not sure if it’s the exact model used in the MKI or if it’s at all the same as the MKII fader, though:

https://media.music-group.com/media/PLM/data/docs/P0954/X1_M_YY.pdf

2 Likes

I think this device is totally faulty. Scenes work strange. If track 3 or 4 are set to XLV MIN, it also fades out tracks 5 and 6 even if those are untouched by the scene. Reallly. I experience it with factory preset project as well as my own project copied over from OP1.

Hm. This may be related to older project. I can’t reproduce it in a brand new project created on 1.30. However older projects behave like this,

Try saving one, or rather “save to new” so you have your original backup…
Then reload it… Might work…
Maybe we have to wait for 1.3x for mk1 and save there first before bringing over…

Have absolutely no idea, just speculating…
Maybe someone official can chime in on this…

I’ve tried it. Didn’t help. I can’t work with my existing project this way :slight_smile:

I think its the same in scratch performance as the mk I. The bottleneck was/is the way you can only adjust the xfade curve so far, not the physical fader itself.

1 Like

There is a way to adjust the fader at a mechanical level, if i recall correctly. there is a screw to adjust the looseness. You might be able to do that to avoid having to send it back. Not sure if you can do it without taking the face plate off, but It’s supposed to be fairly straight forward. It may be that a few devices were just tightened a little too much during assembly.

The fader on my mk1 is super smooth in that i can flick it lightly to go from one side to the other.

edit: i think i found where i originally saw information about the screw, which may or may not be of help. Definitely contact elektron directly if you are having mechanical issues on a new device.

1 Like

Yes, I would think opening the faceplate might affect your warranty? I’d contact elektron first!

I finally sent the OT MKII back to the store. I tried another MKII in a local store and the crossfader was more stable on that. My device was from Juno’s recent discount batch (Octatrack MK2 at super low price).

I don’t regret it. The MKII gave me a lot of headache in the first two weeks or so and after 1.30B it still has its own specific issues. In addition to this although I more or less got to used to MKII’s new design I still prefer the MKI :slight_smile: So I just returned to my “good old” MKI. The stress has gone just relax and music making :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Any chance you could elaborate on this old post? I was thinking I’d like to get the same thing going but am new to scratching as well.

The right topic :

A very interesting @tsutek trick

1 Like

Legend! Thank you :pray: