Octatrack MKi vs MKii

You (like me) spent an obscene amount of money on it, what do you expect. Let’s see how long it takes for the novelty to wear off.

1 Like

Just packed up my MK I, which will be posted shortly. Feels like betraying an old friend. :frowning:

3 Likes

Haha. I had very similar feeling when I ordered MKII. I just finally got faithful as I’ve already returned the MKII :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi there !
I watched Cuckoo comparison between OT and DT, and he said the DT was part of this new generation boxes with great effects, compared to the MK1 OT.
Did you guys notice a difference in effects quality (reverb delay etc) between OT MK1 and OT MK 2.
This is a pre buy question :slight_smile:
Many thanks

effects are the same on both OT models

3 Likes

OT MK 3 is much better. But it doesn’t exist yet. :slight_smile:

Yeah sorry about the typo, but the mk4will be worth the wait !!!

1 Like

I’m holding out for DPS-2!

1 Like

Yea, unfortunately. The reverbs are all shit. The other stuff is cool though. I really like the chorus especially. I got an Eventide Space to provide some proper reverb and then I use the other effects on the OT.

Same, my #1 complaint about the OT1 was the headroom on the inputs and the headroom has now doubled so it’s actually usable as a sampler now without the dynamics being crushed. Now I gotta relearn how to use this thing since I sold my last one about a year ago.

1 Like

I picked up the Space for the same reason :slight_smile: they sound great together.

The reverbs on OT can sound really great though they depend on the source material as well as proper settings more than a dedicated reverb effect device usually do.

After having a Space it’s hard to say great reverbs for Ot imho.
I prefer A4’s one, I’ll surely buy a Space again.

1 Like

Hi all !

I’m planning on adding an Elektron sampler to my setup (AR, A4, MD), the MPC Live is not for me.
I feel more attracted to the DT’s workflow and immediacy just by looking at videos, but the OT feels very powerful and flexible which might be better in the long run if it becomes the centerpiece of my setup. I also can get an OT mk1 for 750 euros, and the DT cannot be found under 500-550, not a huge difference as far as I’m concerned.

So, I’m almost set on an OT, but reading up on it, I found quite a few users who complain about the inputs. The ability to add OT’s effects to my “buses” sounds like a good idea, but if the power of my drum machines is lost to the OT’s inputs, it’s not worth it. For my setup (MD into AR into OT, making mainly techno), would that be an issue and if so, is it a show-stopper worth spending +/- 650 euros (OT mk1 is 750 second hand, mk2 is 1400) to fix ? The other differences (extra buttons, updated buttons and encoders, trig conditions, new screen) are not significant enough for me.

Thanks for your opinions !

The OT’s reverbs are functional (if you just need to prevent something from sounding too dry) and can sound decent enough but the Space is in a completely different league.

2 Likes

OT MkII inputs seems to be better than MKI, but I don’t know if DT inputs are so.

Much more recording possibilities with Octatrack, 8 recorders independant from tracks, rec trigs, overdub…no auto-normalize…

1 Like

@sezare56 @finalform Sure, I neither think that OT’s reverbs can easily be competitor of hardware reverbs (like Space or Strymon stuffs). I just wanted to strongly dispute the statement that OT’s reverbs “are all shit” :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I’ve always loved the dark reverb. Used to think the others where shit but accidentally applied one on a loop yesterday (think it was the spring) and it sounded awesome. Source sound and application of the reverbs clearly key!

1 Like

3 Likes

Can you elaborate on this ? Do you mean there’s some sort of limiter on the DT inputs and not the OT ?

I know that the OTMK2 inputs are better, I guess my question is more in the lines of “are the OTmk1 inputs usable or would it be justified to spend 650 on better inputs because it would change my life”. I got from @kwamensah 's comments that mk1 inputs are not good enough for him to be used in a real sampler because of lost dynamics, but I plan to mainly use this machine as a sample player, not a sample recorder, so what about using the OTmk1 as a mixer with effects, would I be missing out on something essential ?