Octatrack MKi vs MKii

There’s an update ? :loopy:
Soon ? :content:

2 Likes

I’m guessing (hoping) they put better converters in the iPad Pro. My experienced is based on a Mini 2.

indeed, thought didnt occur to me… entirely possible

yeh, saw it on GS once IIRC, just had to steal

I think they are rather good in the iPad Air as well.

When I was doing an album with a lot of OP-1 and using Patterning on iPad for the more intricate drum work (such a great drum app!) , I did some tests comparing the 1/8" iPad Air output into the 1/8" OP-1 input vs Patterning .wav renders [convert to .aif] and imports that never left the digital domain.
I couldn’t hear a difference on my Genelecs, so I started using the 1/8" cable, which also sped up the workflow, conveniently.

2 Likes

:white_check_mark: and so you should be, ref :3lektron: here

fear not :wink:

3 Likes

I sold my mki ot cause i found the input quality unacceptable. The new balanced inputs absolutely sold me on getting the new one alone. Plus on paper it shows a reduced noise floor as well.

1 Like

I totally like the new inputs and they were my only gripe with the mk I. No regrets.

2 Likes

Can you monitor on just the A input? I have a mono device I’d like to run through an OT

Thanks

A thru machine can be set to only input A, sure. If you are asking about the DIR monitoring as on the mixer page, sorry cannot remember if it works there too… But basically you can use the OT as a 4 mono input mixer if you use 4 thru machines.

1 Like

Thanks @tsutek

I was hoping for a mono DIR in so I didn’t have to give up a track with a THRU machine

2 Likes

I can check this later, sorry cannot rem atm

If anyone else has this info, please let us know?

If you think of Mixer mode, you can’t monitor a single mono input there like you do by Thru machine. However you can hear the sound on either left or right side depending on which connector you plugged the audio cable in :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Was it defective?

I think he’s referring to the ”tone suck” caused by running into the OT mk I under suboptimal gainstaging. This can happen quite easily with the mk I if you’re not aware of it. I only learned how to fix this issue (proper gainstaging) after I got rid of my mk I.

This problem is further amplified by the peculiar -12dB level change that is inherent in the OT sampling engine.

2 Likes

Has anyone experienced any sticky buttons I’ve read others complain about the Digitakt?

None at all on my first batch MKII

4 Likes

Awesome. I’m ordering one early December.

I have both a DT and OT mk2, with no issues. My friend has a DT with no issues. I think most of the issues are a little overblown, where it seems like there are more “bad” units than good. I’m pretty sure that in reality, it’s a fairly small percentage that are bad. But people with issues are much more likely to post than people who have no issues and are completely happy jamming away

Edit: to add, and maybe state the obvious, elektron offers a fantastic 3 year warranty, so of course they will make it right with their customers who have units with issues.

3 Likes

I always put it down to the fact that happy customers rarely post on a forum, but an unhappy one will.
Certainly not discouraging fair complaint as it helps everyone if things need to be fixed, but forum campaigns about a product being ‘crippled with bugs’ can tend to be a little over-egged compared to the reality the silent majority experience.

3 Likes