Octatrack MK2 problems (particularly the screen)

On the DT I had 3 trigs that got stuck. Its a recurring problem a few of us had. You would press down and it would take a second or two to reset it’s self. Seemed as though it wasn’t properly seated. We’re only talking millimetres but boy was it enough to piss me right off! Meant you could rapidly trigger a sample physically.

The trig buttons seemed without problems but I haven’t really used the unit, so my experience is limited to pressing all the buttons a few times.

Aren’t the buttons regular “clicky” computer keyboard buttons with custom caps? Could it be that the caps for those “sticky” keys just need to be pressed down properly?

Could we please discuss the issues I mentioned in my initial post? :slight_smile: my issues are uneven button illumination, varying brightness of screen lines and pop up windows creating unevenness, and some encoders feeling different than others. For a unit whose main strength is better hardware, these see like important issues to me.

2 Likes

What more do you want to discuss? Just send it back if you’re not happy with it!

In this thread @Ess says that ghosting is normal with the new oled screen on the digitakt. Maybe it’s the same on the octatrack mk2

I think you should contact elektron about this and see what they have to say about it? This is not an official support forum after all…

I can inspect my unit later this evening to see if I have similar issues but do not recall anything terribly out of the ordinary on a casual first use yesterday…

1 Like

The screen is normal; it exhibits this kind of ghosting with large areas of lit pixels.
The button cap laser engraving looks normal as well, and encoder feel can vary before they are broken in a bit, but should operate as expected. This does not look like a defective unit.

7 Likes

Hey this was not a criticism. Sorry if it sounded like that. I just want to focus on these issues I have at the moment. I am a bit nervous/disappointed after waiting for so long. I am now discussing this with Elektron and will report back.

1 Like

I’d make some music on it in the meantime.

1 Like

Thank you Simon. I was talking to Cenk in the meanwhile. He has also said the same things. Perhaps you should issue a statement about these imperfections to avoid future customer satisfaction issues.

I will not return the unit. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I for one am happy to be informed about possible hardware quality. My analog four MK1 feels like hi q machine, MK2 should feel even better according to what we hear from Elektron.

If i decide to go for A4 MK2, i would like that to be a fact.

9 Likes

+1 :wink:

Yes, but does it sample???

2 Likes

Same here. Grateful to those who post about their issues. These units are not cheap. At such a price there is an expectation of high build quality. Got to say I’m surprised at those weird Digitakt button threads. My first Rytm had the infamous screen burn issue. So then again, maybe I shouldn’t be surprised. It’s not a good feeling and doesn’t inspire warm fuzzy feelings. Problems should be pointed out and Elektron should redouble efforts at Quality Control and parts sourcing before their rep slides. I would hope anyone wanting Elektron to remain a viable company would agree.

6 Likes

I have the AR and AK MKII pre-ordered and paid for. I am concerned.

It is a bit misleading because you do not see any apparent “ghosting” on their marketing pictures on the main site. You are paying a premium for a product you would expect to get what is exactly as advertised.

Can you imagine if your brand new OLED phones had this issue? The screen is the main point of feedback to the user on these machines, I would expect a higher standard of quality.

4 Likes

What was the issue again? At the octa now, not seeing much to complain about… Can you tell me exactly what to look for?

heres a video of my units’ screen

What was the other thing to check besides the screen?

i would not consider elektron to be premium level machines, more like mid to high level. A premium device holds a much higher price point. And that is a very important factor to consider, price point. elektron is still a boutique style company (only a handful of synths, independent, no giant company backing them). this ultimately effects parts that can be used, production runs, development. why? money of course. for instance the OLED screens elektron is using for the mkii machines and the digi are not the same type of screen one would find in says a samsung phone, which are super high quality screens, because likely the cost of a super high quality screen would significantly raise the price of the boxes. no one would have been happy paying a couple hundred dollars extra for a screen upgrade to a phone quality oled.

im finding with the current run of products people are being really nitpicky, almost searching for flaws and drawbacks. when i first get a new machine the first thing i do is noodle not use a fine tooth comb to see if i can find flaws in it.

2 cent/rant for the day

10 Likes

But in all fairness, the new look and feel of the new controls and displays seems to be a big selling point with the mk II marketing. Just look at how many bullet points with the mk II’s marketing text point to them. They are listed as major features. Therefore I find it quite understandable to scrutinize them.

But can someone please let me know what to look for? I want to understand… AFAIK my unit looks fine?

1 Like

Is that screen flicker just on the video?