Octatrack MK2 problems (particularly the screen)

I wonder if ti is a same screen used in DT ? Peolpe with DT have the same issues, but Elektron is calling that normal ( so they say, i do not have issue with my A4 MK1 screen )

it is possible that these things are related. Has there been any consensus with the DT on this? As in, some units are affected more than others?

Furthermore, any chance that this might be 50Hz/60Hz related electricity phenomenon?

well I it looks like consensus is that this is “normal”, and that tells me it is frequent enough.

So that there are two or more nauts living in the same contry and one has probs and the other one doesn’t? Okay then. That rules out any electricity format changes and suggest that it indeed is some sort of a QC issue.

Saying its “normal” sounds quite strange tbh… I thought usually this sort of batch inconsistencies are a sign of not strict enough variance toleration? At least with Chinese factories this is something I’ve read about…

1 Like

The problem is not all OLED screens are the same. The general consumer see the word OLED and automatically expects the level of quality attributed to cell phone screens. But screens differ, pixel density, resolution, etc are all varying factors.
I’ve seen this type of ghosting/dimming in all sorts of screens due to Improper contrasting. But that couldn’t be tested as elektron machines don’t really let you adjust screen contrast

No Issues on my Digitakt Screen, no Ghosting, lighting is very even too. Fith picture from the OP looks faulty to me! These Lines are weird - nothing like this on my Digitakt, like i said!

Also i had no Sticky Button issues … seems i had quite some luck with my unit in terms of production quality.

2 Likes

Why is they say ghosting is normal, and than others have really normal screens (like no ghosting)? Is ghosting to be expected ? But no ghosting is better than ghosting. Like more normal ? :thinking:

2 Likes

I paid 1450 euros. I thought the unit had problems. I posted here and got responses. I am not trying to find fault with the Octatrack. I am trying to find out if what I thought to be a problem is indeed a problem or just how the unit is built. I think I should have the right to “scrutinize” and I don’t do that out of nothing. So this being out of the way, I can continue:

When I heard back from Elektron, I was relieved and decided not to return the unit immediately. But then, after reading some of the posts here and seeing how inconsistent the experience with screen quality is, I am unsure about keeping the unit, especially with this very important fact in mind: Elektron reissued the Octatrack with one aim only: better hardware and better user interface (more buttons). The screen is a part of that. If the screen used is low-quality OLED and makes these ghostlines and coloration differences, then this tells me that the hardware was not entirely improved. I have no experience with the older model. Sure, the buttons, crossfader may have been improved. But, despite not having a deep idea of how screen technology has improved over the years, I am almost sure that an OLED screen should not behave like that.

So, dear Elektron team, can you please answer this question: Did you use an inferior OLED screen on the Octatracks? What you define as “normal” does not look normal to me. Sure, it may not be a malfunction but it may simply be a design fault or a bad choice of components.

And to those who say: if your unit works fine, don’t try to find faults. This must be the most ridiculous statement I have ever heard in my life. We are talking about a 1450€ device that is built with the sole claim of having better hardware than the original. A screen that displays weird lines when a pop-up window comes up is not better hardware, I think. Still, I’d like to hear what Elektron has to say about this. So far, their explanation was relieving on the surface, but was problematic at second thought.

10 Likes

First of all my response was not directed to you, I replied to another comment in the thread. No need to attack.
I was not replying to you because someone from elektron already replied to you and told you your screen is normal. But it seems that your are not taking that as a proper response to your problem.

Hi Simon,

After spending the day outside away from this issue and then reading other people’s post in the thread, I have come to believe that Elektron’s explanation that a screen displaying weird lines is “normal” is not satisfactory, especially for a device that is designed and marketed as an improvement on the hardware side over the older model. And now I know the Digitakt has the same problem. So please give us a better explanation that “it’s normal”. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

See my latest post to Simon. A unit that claims to have better hardware cannot claim that a screen that displays random lines (also on the Digitakt) cannot just say it’s normal. They could only say this if all other OLED screens on Earth had the same behavior. Do they?

1 Like

No because as I posted earlier if you bothered to read was that OLED screens vary in quality. Sure not all device have these that of ghosting etc but many do. To say the new screen is not an improvement over the old is wrong.
Also i believe I mentioned, maybe it’s a contrast issue because ive see this behavior on screens where the contrast ratio was funky and the contrast is not set properly. That is something that should be easily fixable in a firmware update if it is the problem.
Just because my opinion does not match yours does not mean I’m coming at you in anyway. It’s just a different opinion.

:alien:

I will simply wait for a better explanation from Elektron. Contrast was the first thing that came to my mind this morning and I did look for a contrast setting in the global menu, but it doesn’t exist.

Your statement “OLED screens vary in quality” kind of proves my fears: Elektron may have cut down on costs by using inferior OLED screens. The use of an OLED screen is certainly an improvement over the older screen, but an OLED screen with inferior quality (or simply a problem in OT’s operating system with the contrast) is not an improvement. Sure, it may not hinder the operation of the unit. But it makes me question the quality of manufacturing and parts.

CAn you please open a pop-up window on this screen? Any one will do. And then see if you see weird lines on the selected track indicator on the side (the one with the white background).

Elektrons opinion of ‘normal’ doesn’t seem to be ‘normal’ to the consumer.
Elektron should have sourced better screens. Simple as that.
Cost cutting can bite you in the butt sometimes

5 Likes

It could still be a screen contrast issue, which can be remedied by firmware updates, I think. But yes, I find their one-word “normal” explanation also a bit customer-unfriendly. What worries me more is the differing experiences people have been reporting on the Digitakt, which has a similar screen.

Let’s wait and see what Elektron says beyond the “it’s normal” explanation.

If it bothers you then return it. There will be no firmware fix for a bad screen.
I agree that in this price range the build quality should meet certain standards.

I have waited for years to own an Octatrack and prefer to wait for a more detailed response from Elektron than just saying “it’s normal”. My initial fear was to have landed on a faulty unit. This is not the case. Now I am simply trying to determine two things:

• if this screen issue is common to all OT MK2 owners
  • if this issue is a contrast issue or a hardware issue (lower quality component). If it’s a contrast issue, it can be fixed by firmware.

I’d like to believe that Elektron, makers of such amazing gear, would not use a lower quality component in a unit they market as having superior hardware to the predecessor.