Octatrack MK2 Overdriving balanced inputs

Sounds really really good like my old MPC-60 MK2 (from memory) when slightly overdriving the balanced inputs.
Incredible bass too —love this sampler–I think it will pump over a club sound system.
So far used a Vestax PCV255 mixer with bass and treble up (SL1200 MK5 and CDJ800 sources ) into OT inputs A/B and a Roland SE-02 direct into inputs C/D

I’m not sure what you exactly mean here, but i’d have thought the inputs will simply scale linearly until they clip very badly - there’s a thread looking at the MK1 inputs and it’s clear the red Leds are informative relative to a preferred(attenuated) input level and do not help wrt capturing inputs that get close to FS digital - monitoring the screen was the best level, but even when the inputs were near solid red (for the case presented) there was still a very neutral capture with a small amount of room to go hotter. Capturing hot may be better than gaining it up, but it’d still sound broadly the same (even if there may be potentially more noise in the latter). Don’t be put off by going into the red, I imagine it’s the same on the MK2 as Mk1. In other threads people were struggling to pick/agree-on the OT capture from the source in a blind test, the inputs are fairly transparent

2 Likes