Octatrack mk1 v mk2

By redlining the inputs

Another thing that helped me work the OT was the realization that the summing bus is not floating point, its fixed point. So be careful not to hit the summing bus too hard, it will clip easily.

3 Likes

Thank you.

1 Like

Is there an easy way to see if I hit the master too hard?

If you’re on mk II, assign the REC C leds to master. On the mk I, not exactly sure…

6 Likes

Yes ! When you can’t tell the difference between the colors of the wall and the ones on the top of the roof of this weird ambulance :smile_cat:

Recording Setup 1 > SRC3 = MAIN
Midi Button led blinks if there is audio.

1 Like

That’s funny, when I first got the MK1 it looked too small to me, hit the trig keys, “yep, just like they said, ‘clack-clack’…”
But the smaller size has advantage with single-handed multiple tweaks, which I appreciate.
I mean, there’s not much to it really, a metal box with input/out jacks, a screen, encoder and buttons. The magic is all in the motherboard.

Very cool tip. Did not know this was possible. Thanks a lot.

1 Like

For some strange reason the round trig buttons (1-16) always stressed me out on the mk1. I found that square buttons for sequencing l liked much more & the mk2 shortcuts help calm my brain knowing I don’t have to dive in to save/edit/grid/resample etc. Also the new oled screen reminds me that I’m not working on an Etch A Sketch.

2 Likes

You have square fingers ? :content:
Thanks to remind me to buy a Etch a Sketch for my son ! :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I wonder if using MKI and MKII is disturbing…:sketchy:

1 Like

It’s simple:

• complete scene randomizer by pressing shortcut.
  • Ability to save the current crossfader position in a separate scene.
    As for the power socket - it looks like this:

At first I wanted to replace the existing connector. But in the end I decided to leave it. In case of loss or damage to my PSU.
    So I just drilled a hole in the case and installed a new one power socket.
    In the first versions of OT the power connector was of terrible quality. All the time jumping out. Therefore, it was decided to install a serious connector, and not as a children’s toy type GAMEBOY.
    Well, as for the display - as soon as I identify with the most suitable model, I will replace it in my device and I can lay out the report with detailed instructions.
8 Likes

Oh man MK1 + MK2 would equal total meltdown for my OCD lol:smile:
I was a drummer for 30 years so I’m definitely a fan of round objects but strangely mk1 buttons drove me nuts.
TBH had a tough time learning mk1 so perhaps the round buttons served as a metaphor of the corners within the instrument I couldn’t comprehend if that makes any sense. I ended up selling the mk1.
Went to NAMM18 spent 10 minutes on the mk2 loved it & ordered it. It’s fantastic.

My fingers are half-round/half-square but I just deal with it :wink:

1 Like

Indeed. + and - doubled ?
I guess you modified the PSU ?

OT MK1 Love Thread

1 Like

Yes, + and - doubled to ensure perfect contact. Now in the connector two pins + and two pins -.
With this decision I have been working for more than five years. Very satisfied. PSU was left without mods. Just replaced connector.
And yes, I want to get the same result on the display, as in your picture. Just more black. Not as blue as there.

2 Likes

kudos for the binder connector. should be an industry standard for stage gear IMO.

3 Likes

That and panel-mounted controls.

2 Likes

Any more thoughts on this? Right now the price difference on the used market is £150-£200. I got on fine with the mk1 but the new buttons, screen and inputs are tempting.

How much better sounding are the MK2 inputs? Anyone done a shootout?

@SHS could you elaborate on the build quality issues of the MK2 Vs MK1? Reading that they used lower quality encoders on the new one is not very reassuring!

In my opinion it really doesnt matter which one you get. Sure there are differences, but no deal breakers. Buttons and screen change. I use a mk1 and am totally happy with it. 3 and a half years in, no issues at all.

It would be more correct to say not low-quality encoders, but encoders of lower quality than in the MK1 version.
In fact, I still did not get into the repair of the second generation octatracks. But anyway, I collect all the information about these devices by communicating with the owners on thematic forums (mainly the Russian-speaking segment of the Internet).
And this already (along with photos of the viscera :upside_down_face:) allows me to draw conclusions about the quality of the assembly and the components used.

2 Likes