Octatrack MII dawless sample loading - ways you do this?

their will be no tech like apps/software avail or involved in my studio. I’ll stick to a simple pre amp as I’m not looking for super sharp recording the dirt and crackles are fine by me 0)

1 Like

Why not fill card with tons of samples elesewhere from a pc?

Then in studio you can be totally ITB

Also record from places like, phone, dj mixer/vinyl, mp3 players, other synths/boxes etc…Anything with an audio out.

I think it’s been mentioned a bunch of times that it’s really not advisable to move the CF card from the slot, since it tends to break easily.

3 Likes

Oh - thank you, mate! I was not aware of this!

This is news to me. Any news about whether or not this is fixed in the mk II?

It’s still a CF card so probably not…

yeah, but I mean, I’ve never had such problems with any of my CF card instruments (OT mk I, OT mk II, MPC 2500 & MPC1000). Are you rough with handling or am I just lucky

1 Like

I have a pedal from the brand JOYO, there’s a fender amp emulation called American Sound… I bought it for crazy cheap and sounds great. Probably less options than a sansamp but for a fraction of the cost.
There’s some demos on YouTube, that’s how I knew of its existence

By sampling I mean recording audio into the OT’s inputs, I thought that’s what we were talking about… :thinking:
Sampling=creating a sample by recording…

I’m very gentle with all of my instruments… Doesn’t mean everyone is though… and also doesn’t mean others don’t have bad luck with things like this!

In my over 3 years of reading the forum I don’t think I’ve read a personal account of someone damaging their cf slot… It just seems to be perpetuated by really old cases…

Be careful with it sure, but I think it’s like a scary campfire story… :smile:

4 Likes

I read someone having that problem recently in the french Audiofanzine forum. I would be totally pissed of with that. User error !

I just nabbed a 64gb CFC for my mk2…my weekend will be filled with field recording and sampling from movies from my ps4 with amazon prime! I have a VERY nice daw/Mac setup, but I really want the OTmk2 to be the hub of my audio production. My style is ‘abstract’. Anyone have tips on OT multitracking, other than my search results?
I think I might enjoy a boss RC505 as a cool front in for input C/D on my OT.
Any cool tips/tricks/schemes?
Very exciting!!!

Btw: this is my FOURTH Octatrack…I ‘just now’ GET IT, so I bought another one FOR GOOD!!! Lol

Thanks
Btw: screw overbridge…

Fourth ! But how much do you know it ?

In OT You can record long files (8m30 max in 16 bits) and assign them to Static.
Yesterday I recorded a track with QREC on Pattern Length, with a 1024 step pattern length.
That makes 64 bars. Add a 64 slices grid. That way you can choose easily between bars.

I had an RC505 and have a RC202. No workflow yet, but it worked / works well slaved.
Still hesitating to take my RC505 back. Freedom for VERY long length recording. Up to 3 hours recordings !
It doesn’t have a great audio quality, not a drama for me as I should mangle it in OT.

1 Like

I feel like I ‘know’ the OT, just wanted extra tricks/schemes. It really is an awesome machine. Imagine the NEXT OT…?! I hope there’s ZERO computer integration, except for file transfer! Lol
Long live OT!
Rock on…back to sampling…oh wait, haven’t eaten in 20 hours…:wink:

1 Like

Yeah, the 505 audio quality (and the plasticky build quality) is wonky, but my stuff is generally noisy/ambient…glad I use LIBERAL amounts of Analog Heat! :slight_smile:

1 Like

@Open_Mike: here you go …

… there is even a nice close-up picture of the damaged pin(s).

But, yeah, I’ve been using CF cards now for over a decade with cameras and had never an issue. Just don’t use any force when inserting them …

3 Likes

@bxentric

Was thinking in the same direction for the OT setup so decided on this ‘cabin in the woods’ setup, As I like to call it:

Tascam 4 track for sampling (tape and preamps for instruments and mics) can print to tape and resample, mangle and resample on OT

interested in a looper too but might not need it when my OT looping chops are getting better, maybe add foot control to OT… practice will tell.

I love that description ‘cabin in the woods’ I might change mine to ‘pod in the city’ though as that’s what I’m lucky to create in. I recorded an album last year then sold all my equipment to build up what I learnt from that and what sounds I have grown to like. The first step in this new adventure is The Machinedrum UW+ MKII and a Korg prologue, so my next phase in sounds is underlaying those two with field recordings thus my interest in the octatrack which could also I hope sequence the prologue and machinedrum thus becoming my central piece when sound designing. I’m just looking into what desktop monosynth migh best suit me. The outcome of this new output will be material for Home techno listeners