Octatrack Midi CC pedal for Pickup Machine use

In the meantime I bought a soleman, it’s great, fires when pressing, not the release, is easy to program with the editor and could do muuuuuch more than I use, maybe goof for later.
Highly recommended, the source audio soleman

3 Likes

He Guys,
there is a little affordable Midi Board:
Meloaudio Midi Commander/Harley Benton MP100
I play Guitar and want to loop with the Octatrack, be able to select different tracks and to control some FX with an expression Pedal.
Seems to be the right Pedal.
Does someone have experience or knowledge if this would be the right pedal?
Greetings

Seems ok on paper. You need to be able to send notes for Pickup control, and Control Changes for the expression pedal.

I didn’t know the Mp100 was also the Midi Commander.

1 Like

A new interesting MIDI pedal got recently released. Seems more powerful than DMC stuff and also has the ability to convert expression pedal input into CC: https://www.morningstarfx.com/mc6-mkii

1 Like

In a quick glance in the PDF manual. I couldn’t see any options of sending #NN (note numbers). But it seems possible to use #CC (controller changes). OT is supposed to be able to convert #CC into #NN in regard to that many foot controllers doesn’t transmit #NN to begin with. So it might depend a bit your specific needs/requirements.

Source Audio Soleman controller has less switches but quite clever programming options.

Yes indeed. I though it was possible.

Yes. Using CC59, its values correspond to notes on. (CC60 is for notes off).
Btw, in MP100 mnual I saw sub parameters (values) possibilities, but it was not clear how to set them.

My experience so far with gear, whenever I’ve come across anything unclear in its manual. Is to expect worst case scenario. Sometimes I’ve even got the feeling that some bits in manuals are unclear on purpose to avoid potential customers steering towards other gear/brand. Same with published specifications. You read what you want to read in anything (unclear)…

Learned that the hard way…

I saw sub parameters (values) for presets, not for custom settings. So it may not be usable for OT.

Custom Settings :

KEY 2 MOD : PC#, CC#
PC: Program change MIDI commandCC: Control change MIDI command
KEY 2 CC# : 1…127
Command number of the control change MIDI command
KEY 2 Tog : OFF, ON
ON: The sub-parameters change between 0 and 64

The manual is very confusing… i think like @miketheman said, if something is unclear, expect worst case. It‘s my experience, too.
Well i think i might pull the trigger on the Behringer FCB.

Good luck. By default, you can send only 1 note and 2 CCs per preset. :grimacing:
Very limited.

You have to change the firmware with a new eprom, if you find one corresponding to your needs! Check Eureka Prom.

1 Like

I definitely don’t recommend the FCB, it is a nightmare to program in addition to having some strange limitations as @sezare56 mentioned. Even with a custom Eprom it is a compromise, not to mention it is huge.
I do highly recommend the Morningstar Mc6, works really well with OT and can be programmed with names for the functions, multiple functions per switch, etc.
I imagine the Soleman is a good bet as well, but can’t say enough positive about the Morningstar.

2 Likes

I have heard/read that too regarding FCB. It seems to get better/easier with custom eureka prom. IMHO that itself states the cons regarding FCB.

So only reason to go that combination would be if you get both REALLY cheap in buying them second hand or something.

Ok, thanks guys. Looks like, i have to spend 300 for a MIDI pedal… how does the Morningstar compare to Disaster Area DMC 8? Any experience?

I have a Yamaha MFC10 I highly recommend,
and a Roland FC200 you can find for cheap.
It can send notes, CCs, PCs, exp pedal, up to 4 additional switches.
Cheapest is DIY with Arduino!

1 Like

I’ve heard good things about the Nektar Pacer. Not specific to specific to the OT though. Worth looking into:

https://bit.ly/32ywUNv

1 Like

No Play / Stop?

Just digging through the features and it supports MCU protocol for sure which doesn’t help the OT. I’d have to dig further to see about proper transport controls. It has an Octatrack pickup machines profile built into it:

”Elektron Octatrack Pickup Machine: Navigate tracks and control Looper.“ - profile C5

That may be useful for this application. It seems like a fairly robust MIDI pedal solution for $310 CAD

1 Like

+1
Mc6 and never look back

1 Like

Hello Juan,
How did you program the mastermind lt for the pattern up/down function? I got it done but having problems accessing banks after H when octa’s midi out is connected to mastermind lt.
Thank you!:slight_smile:

I just gone the Mc8 and quickly found out that it doesn’t transmit Midi note values. I would love to know how did you configure yours with OT, what pages and snapshots you might have programmed? Do you think can i bypass OT’s native arranger with those 16 midi messages per click?