Octatrack Drone from live input

Hey what’s up, finally just about getting to grips with my OT… not. haha.

Anyway, I was just wondering if anyone know of any cool tips and tricks to make drones / pads from a live input, in my case this would be a 303.

Also whilst we’re at it, if you have any nifty tips for making pads from samples anyway, why not post em up. Always nice to learn new ways to do things.

2 Likes

Pads / drones from any incoming sound ?
Several possibilities :

• Record and play small sound portions, looped, pitched differently on several tracks in order to make chords
  • Retrigs
  • Comb Filters
  • Short delays
  • Rate set to Timestretch let you slow down samples drastically
  • Dark Reverb with long time
  • many more…

With retrigs / delays you can chose a tempo corresponding to a note :
103.25 bpm corresponds to A 440hz if you retrig at 1/32 , or delay at 8, for example.

Example with Amen Break mangled by OT at 40".
https://soundcloud.com/user-475861059/gramen-amen-brea

14 Likes

There are lots of tips already on the forum:

https://www.elektronauts.com/search?context=topic&context_id=53887&q=Octatrack%20drone&skip_context=true

5 Likes

Fat :joy::rofl:

2 Likes

I forgot where it was but I just read someone who was sampling a drone, having it be pitch shifted on several flex tracks, and then re-sampling those tracks using cue as source to make drone/chord/pad… :slight_smile:
I’m pretty sure they were doing it in real time…

1 Like

nice, let me know if you find the link! sounds cool

I don’t think the post articulated it as much as I did up there, it was less descriptive, so… :thinking:
If part of that doesn’t make sense maybe find a thread pertaining to that step and If it doesn’t explain it shoot a question…

I think it was this, and I just extrapolated the above…

:smile:

Yeah you definitely over-interpreted what I said :smiley:
but actually, that’s totally doable. let’s say you set up 3 flex tracks and have each sample the same input and then loop the portion but pitch shifted to predefined intervals, turn the volume down to zero turn CUE up (CUE is set to studio mode) and use a THRU track (by physically patching the CUE out to the inputs) or use another flex track to rec/play with the recording source set to CUE. Add filtering/fx, add a neighbor track if you need more fx, then use another flex track to resample that and do further mangling. You can do a whole piece with just playing a not and hitting REC. Actually… I need to try that :slight_smile:

Ha, yeah I did run with it a bit more… :smile:

I’ve envisioned this one note song too! Never got around to anything like it yet, I totally would if I could stop time and not need to eat or sleep… :rofl:

Haha…

1 Like

Yeah all that sleeping and eating :smiley: but yeah same problem here, though in my case work is probably what I would get rid of before sleep and food! :smiley:
This said… now you really made me want to experiment more with that, thanks for that!

1 Like