Octatrack DJ

Thanks for the suggestions but I love these dedicated new music friends. I’ve been playing with iPad stuff for a while and for reasons stated above, it’s just not working out for me as well as the elektron stuff : )

lol very cool

yes the Rytm would be easier than the Machinedrum in some ways, simpler and more focused … and the Octatrack is very much seeming to provide what you are looking for, so the motivation is there …

keen to hear your initial mixes

Aha thank you! I have them hooked up to each other so that the rytm can sample into the octatrack. I’m still filling the octatrack with samples so I won’t have anything to show on that for a bit. But this weekend is perfect because it’s extremely humid and rainy, so I’m staying in and getting familiar with my two new friends : ) I was going to post a picture my roommate took of me using it but I didn’t want you guys to think I was being sexual or slutty because I’m in my swim suit on my tummy playing around but it’s just humid! lol But here’s one I took of the set up on my bed currently with my kitty jumping into the picture for some attention : )

3 Likes

I’ve been reading this ! and watching lots of youtube videos : )

The kitty is pretty damn cute.

1 Like

Believe it or not we have a whole thread full of furry feline Elektron users… :grinning:

2 Likes

Too funny! lol

1 Like

Just one thing that irks me - The rytm is on the wrong side! The rytm looks much better as the left side unit IMO :nyan:

2 Likes

But if you’re lefty?You need that fader at your left…

2 Likes

Aha the wrong side? that’s funny lols The rytm’s blinking lights on my left side were bugging me for some reason, and I liked having the octatracks big screen to my left instead to look at my recordings. But I might change it up, don’t want to offend anyone : ) lols

No go right ahead. I wouldn’t think that at all :bikini: :aw: :sunglasses: :ecstatic:

1 Like

There’s only one name for that cat
Octapussy :smile_cat:

2 Likes

I hate my cat around my gear. My nemisis

2 Likes

That’s actually the funniest name ever lol !!!

1 Like

OT can be tricky if you plan to DJ with it. It’s not designed for this task, it’s however great performance sampler :+1:

fair enough then. I was drunk anyway so there’s that :hamburger:

1 Like

nah u use your nose or your bum to rock th fadr

2 Likes

I use my ot as a dj device, works great. Needs a lot of preparations n, and bringing in new tracks is a chore, but the ways of manipulating stuff is just out there…
As gor the positions of the devices, that is the way i hold them, feels more natural for the crossfader to be next to the pads, as those are the things that see the most action, YMMV…

4 Likes

And for sound, I still haven’t heard anything hardware or software that’s quite as musical as an old Roland VP9000. They’re about 20 years old but they are still impressive, especially at the prices I see them go for sometimes.

If you want to really get in deep with time stretch and pitch shifting and don’t mind adjusting your workflow to accommodate the VPS9000’s sampling workflow (everything you sample has to be preprocessed before you can stretch or pitch shift it in real time) it’s worth having a look at them. If you happen to have an old MPC2000 with the factory multicard reader, you can swap that in for the ZIP drive (there’s no other known card reader that will work), but any $20 of-the-shelf card reader in the MPC, and have a pretty unbeatable time and pitch manipulation box for not that much money. Maxing out the RAM to 128mb costs about $20, too.

Sorry for the derail, I just wanted to give this thing a shout out because it’s really underappreciated today.

3 Likes

Looks interesting : ) But I luv my two new friends, so I think I’m set on them now tbh. I’ve been having a lot of fun this weekend, I don’t even care it’s rainy and humid! As long as the power stays on aha

1 Like