Octatrack Delay on Master does nothing for external inputs

Totally confused by this one. I’ve placed delay on my master track and it does not effect the incoming sound of my AR and A4. If I put any other effect in that slot it works just fine but no matter what parameter I tweak, nothing is happening.
Is this a bug or am I missing something fundamental about the delay?

Any sounds loaded into the Octatrack behave normally though. Very strange.
Cheers

1 Like

only works if input comes thru a thru machine i think.

No that’s not the case. It does work on the master as it used to work fine. Strangely enough, it just started working after 15 minutes of scratching my head.
Not sure what I did other than start and stop the sequencer a few times.
I’m going to submit a ticket to be on the safe side.

And now it stopped working again. All I did was increase the volume of the DIR inputs in the Mixer page. Definitely seems like a bug now

Okay, last post. I think I’ve narrowed it down. If I place a trig on any of the other audio tracks (1-7) and start the sequencer, the delay will start working. If I remove the trig and stop the sequencer, the delay stops working. Apparently the internal tracks have to trigger the delay…? I hope this is a bug and not a feature as I often have parts of a song or even whole songs where it’s just AR and A4 and OT is acting as Mixer/Effects unit only.

Did you use different Parts / Banks ?

or maybe you can just hold a track button + PLAY rather than actually running the seq?

2 Likes

Just tested, with a new project, you don’t need any trig, Master track delay works with DIR inputs.

But if you change parts, new fx settings need a trig to be effective. I thought it was per track only, but new Master fx settings can be activated with a trig on another track.

4 Likes

those damn part changes
Good work @sezare56 !

2 Likes

This is new for me, because usually trigs for part changes are needed on the same track.
With Master track, it can be effective with a trig on a different track ! :sketchy:

I made a test with a Thru machine, it needed a trig on the same track only for effective changes (or Track + Play :wink:).

3 Likes

I’ll test this later today. Thanks for checking it out.

Hmm, new project loaded. Set up dir inputs and still the same issue. Everything else including reverbs work as expected but delay still doesn’t do anything until I trigger an audio track on the OT.
Hopefully Elektron Support can sort me out.

Not part changes ? You only set these parameters :
New project, DIR, T8 > master, T8 Delay Send / Feedback ?

Yes that’s correct.
I then swapped the delay for dark reverb to verify the pathway was correct and it worked.
Next I put the Delay back in, set a trig on track 1 and blamo, delay.
Very strange.

1 Like

Just got this reply:

Elektron Support
June 12, 2018 01:48:57 PM
Hi, I tried this and got the same result, it seems like all the other effects work fine without anything being trigged in the sequencer. This is most likely a bug and I’ll report it to our developers. As a workaround you can trig the master track using the sample trigs (step 9 - 16 in the sequencer, number 16 corresponding to T8). This way you don’t need to have the sequencer running. Best regards,

3 Likes

good catch

also Track + Play is a quick way to make a machine start without engaging transport (never tried for a master, but sounds like it should work if the suggested method does)

1 Like

1.30C ? I have 1.30B, with this behavior only with part changes.

I’m also on 1.30B

There must be something wrong then. I have a MKI and ypu have MKII IIRC but behaviour should be the same. :thinking:
I can check your project if you want…(PM)