Octatrack and Roland JDXI - HELP

Anyone been using these two together? Im trying to select a patch number higher than 127 using the octatrack, I thought the logical way would be to select bank number 2 then try a program number and see if that selected a higher number patch on the JDXI but it just goes to a blank screen and i have to manually select the patch again on the synth.
Anyone figured this out???

Can’t help I’m afraid, but just posted a kind of similar post. Using a Roland JV1010, and having trouble setting the Bank number… Weirdly, if i turn Bank & Prog off on the OT, the JV1010 keeps resetting to an arbitrary patch every time the pattern is played. Very annoying… Good luck

Check this thread for more information:

MIDI BANK CHANGE

Ah, seems this is a well known problem with the octatrack :frowning:
I haven’t had the need to change banks before because my other synth is the Bass Station 2 which only has 1 bank.
I’ll have to try getting my head round this MSB/LSB business.

Thanks for the response, think ill email roland for some more info on how the JDXI receives bank changes, I will post any info on here for any future users of this little synth, I’m sure there will be a few because it makes for a great little set up.

By the way I am very impressed with the sound of the jdxi, it’s definitely a keeper. The Analogue part is quite basic but it sounds great and the drum samples sound as punchy as the TR8 :slight_smile:

Ok so I’ve found the chart I need on the roland website, can someone explain in laymans terms how I can select banks using the octatrack.
I want to select user bank E01.
Any help would be greatly appreciated, just a little step by step method to get this set up then I’m sorted

Thanks in advance :slight_smile:

Hmmm… that list looks a bit odd:

Take a look here (link below), you´ll find LSB (32) for bank control (0) in that chart.
http://www.midi.org/techspecs/midimessages.php#3

Given your picture, it is confusing because I can´t figure out if the MSB and LSB are the actual values or the controllers to use to transmit the values (which in turn will select the presets).

Banks size in the bank/number column seems to be half of the normal MIDI range (0-127), that is up to 64 for each letter (A, B and so on).
But AFAIK you don´t transmit PC# with MSB and/or LSB, so that column I´m guessing is just reflecting what preset on your synth that will be selected but nothing more than that. Which in a way seems logical in relation to the bank/number column: lower half of MIDI range (0-64) = bank A. Upper half of MIDI range (65-128) = bank B.

That leaves us with MSB and LSB columns, which doesn´t reveal much.
If LSB are the controller numbers (CC#64, CC#65, CC#0 and CC#1) and that the value from these numbers selects the preset. I don´t see the purpose of MSB. If MSB is the controller number (CC#85) and its value range are reflected in the LSB column, I don´t see the logic in using those value numbers in that order to select banks in that ascending order (A to H).

If MSB and LSB are not the controller numbers but the actual values to be sent, I don´t see how you would access any of the presets A01 to H64 using them (that is if bank control are to be used with the controller numbers they normally are associated with: CC#0 (hex: 0) and/or CC#32 (hex: 20) as seen in the chart in abovementioned link.

I think you´ll have to go trial and error in a methodical way…

Looks like other Roland gear is using Controller 0 & 32 for MSB & LSB as per the standard MIDI implementation. Specific values are then sent to select specific banks. For example, [cc#0 (MSB) = 88] + [cc#32 (LSB) = 064] will load preset drumkits on the FA workstation.

So going by that:

Send a value of 85 to CC#0 (MSB).

Send a value of either 64, 65, 0 or 1 depending on required bank to CC#32 (LSB)

1 Like

Thanks for your help fellas, looks like I’m going to have to give myself a crash course in understanding Midi because all of that was going right over my head.
I’ll get some learning done!

Thanks again

I think I’ve actually got somewhere with this, thanks for all this info guys. I’m in the same boat as Deaf Eric, having a Roland JV1010, little MIDI knowledge, and a chart which looks like this:

Bank Select | Program No | Group Patch No.
MSB | LSB | |
——————+—————+————————————+
80 | 0 | 0 - 127 | User 1 - 128
81 | 0 | 0 - 127 | PR-A 1 - 128
81 | 1 | 0 - 127 | PR-B 1 - 128
81 | 2 | 0 - 127 | PR-C 1 - 128
81 | 3 | 0 - 127 | GM 1 - 128
81 | 4 | 0 - 127 | PR-E 1 - 128
84 | 0 | 0 - 127 | XP-A (Session) 1 - 128
84 | 1 | 0 - 126 | XP-A 129 - 255
84 | 2 | 0 - 127 | XP-B 1 - 128
84 | 3 | 0 - 127 | XP-B 129 - 256

For Deaf Eric and anyone else struggling with this, here’s how I’ve got it working:

Ignore the Bank Select parameter on the OT, and use CC numbers. As Rex_mundii explained, send MSB values to CC#0, and LSB to CC#32. So in my case, to access bank ‘PR-C’, I send a value of 81 to CC#0 and a value of 2 to CC#32.

I’ve tested this by running multiple patterns and switching banks between patterns, and changing the bank settings on the JV1010 itself, to double check it’s receiving the switching message properly.

It was being temperamental at first, but if I put a trig on each note, sending the LSB number (value to CC#32) it seems to be OK.

I’ve tested this by chaining patterns together, and seems to be working so far. After rebooting the unit, it can seem to take a few rounds to sort itself out i.e. with the patterns chained and looping round, the first couple of times it pays the wrong patches, but then sorts itself out.

This seems to be stable(ish) and working :slight_smile:
Hopefully this will help someone!

1 Like

:+1:

Well done everyone!

Good to see you got it working :slight_smile:

Cheers Guys, loads of help! So glad for this forum!!!

1 Like

This subject has caused much brain ache , am I right in deducing that once the cc1 and cc2 are set to cc1=0 and CC2 =32 (these being the MSB and LSB) that then I send the values to jdxi in this case cc1=085 and cc2=064(A) as per jdxi midi implementation chart. then the program number will select the correct patch number (remembering that program number on OT is -1 as it starts at zero) BUT you cannot set a trig to a program number as OT does not allow.

I gave up to be honest lol

It does definitely works but you need the A4 I think to be able to change patches on trigs.and reading their midi chart is a little confusing regards to lsb. Here is a short instruction, try it it does work, if you have OT you can only set globally but that does mean that you can at least tell it what patch to go to when you start the project.

JDXI
Set CC1 control number to 0 = MSB
Set CC2 control number to 32 = LSB
Set CC1 Value to 85
Set CC2 value to value in chart corresponding to lsb for the bank number 064=A-B, 065=C-D, 00=E-F, 01=G-H
Then send the program number:
001 to 064 = A or C patches
065 to 128 = B or D patches… and so on

1 Like

if you set the CC control numbers and are unsure of how the patch numbers work just turn the program change value and watch the jdxi follow suit, just ensure the jdxi is on the same OT midi channel in project settings.

1 Like

i am going to video this shortly and will post.

here is the video hope it helps, ive posted it on the media board as well.