Octatrack Abbreviation :elot:

The OctaTrack is colloquially known as O.T. around these parts, but the pedigree name is officially Oscar Tango Gothenburger :cheeky:

DId you know, I didn’t until recently when the slightly obvious was pointed out by a 'naut, that the :elot: graphic is composed from all three button types of the OctaTrack Mk1

11 Likes

Interesting, when I read OT I’m saying ‘octatrack’ in my head.

6 Likes

I often read OT it as “Off Topic”, and on other forums read it as “Octatrack”, leading to all kinds of momentary confusion and minor disappointments.

2 Likes

I think of it as Oh Tea :tea:

The OTmkII is “Oh Tea Mark 2” in my brain’s voice.

And now I know the icon/buttons story! That’s awesome, thanks @avantronica :smiley:

2 Likes

I think Oatie, like a crunchy biscuit

1 Like

The DN should be “Dawn”, as it is quite beautiful but a bit icy.

3 Likes

Haha, nice one!

The button shapes, I had seen that post and didn’t realize about the graphics until then either, I think we have the great wise @robotunes to thank for that… Love it…

Also Simon let this out recently, pretty fun Octa lore…

:smiley:

2 Likes

So far it seems I’m alone in calling it the “OT” and not the “O”“T”? :thinking:
I’m glad I brought this up, very important stuff here… :smile::rofl::wink:

1 Like

+1 for “O” “T”

1 Like

In french we usually don’t prononce the H so OT is like HOT !
I’m saying O.T.

I always mind say that as something similar to “monome”

To OPs point, only the MD/MDUW do I ever alternate it mentally to “Machinedrum” every other time I just think of the expression just as really cool initials(part of my concern with the announcement of the DigiTone :open_mouth: )

1 Like

I say OT as separate letters, since I come from the hiphop background of NY folk who rocked the MPC and SP1200 and we’d always call the MPC the MP for short and the SP. so It makes me think of that.

2 Likes

Out loud it’s “ok-tuh”, in text it’s “OT”. Sometimes I say “oak-tohh-treyk” and roll the R slightly in a faux Russian accent.

2 Likes

Alright, that’s it, I’m naming my Digitone “The Don”.

3 Likes

I think OT kind of looks like the abbreviation for overtime.

2 Likes

Yeah, you do have to put in overtime to learn the OT, but your compensated accordingly… :rofl:

1 Like

talking of letters … just realised that when naming a file using the Function key to access all the letters and symbols in the Octatrack naming screen, the upper and lower case version of each letter are vertically aligned.

the uppercase letters are each exactly two rows above the lower case letters.

thus, a quick double press of the up or down key will efficiently change the capitalisation or lack thereof for any letter of the alphabet.

2 Likes

Works in french too : O. T. initials sounds like “au thé”, meaning with tea. :content:

1 Like

I still call it OT, rhyming with hot or the beginning of otter…
Probably always will… :grin:

1 Like

i’s O. T. for me too…as in Octa Track :smiley_cat:

1 Like