Octatrack.. a few questions/issues

Hooking up my Octatrack mk2 to my A4mk2 and Rytm mk2 I have a few questions/issues I cannot resolve.

On all boxes I have created a blanc project.
my setup is like this:

Octatrack is the master

Analog4 main output to OT A/B input
Rytm main output to OT C/D input

Midi cable out from OT to in A4
Midi cable thru from A4 to in ARytm

On my Octatrack I have Track 1 as Thru machine from the A4
On my Octatrack I have Track 2 as Thru machine from the Rytm

No I have 2 question/issues:

1. The signal from the 2 tracks are not the same level on the OT as on their output.
    I have dialed up the track Level, source level and Amp level, but it is still at a lower level.
    When I pluin my headphone onto the A4 and Rytm, it is way louder.
    Why is that?

2. All 3 boxes I have setup a new project. The funny thing is when I slide the performance slider on the OT
    the Fine-Tune level on the Analog4 goes up… I cannot find out why this happens. Nothing have been setup to make a scene change.

A new thing; when I change the Track volume on the OT, the Osc1 Tuner on the A4 changes…

Menno

1. Thru tracks seem to drop the level quite a bit… More so than direct, pickup, or flex/buffer monitoring… I suggest leaving mixer gain alone but raise track level and crank amp vol to compensate.
    I wouldn’t necessarily expect the headphone levels to match though, there’s more that can affect that… (OT phone balance/level, each units headphone rated output level/impedance).

2. By default OT is sending midi from the controls and AR/A4 are set to receive it. Set audio cc out in OT midi/control menu to internal instead of int+ext…

4 Likes

Hi @Open_Mike :wink:
I’m just answering #2 : OT crossfader sends CC48 midi message, corresponding to A4 fine tune. Disable CC send in Ot or CC receive in A4, or change midi channels…

4 Likes

Thanks guys, I’m gonna try your suggestions

1 Like

For looping I need the same signal level coming out of the outputs as is coming in, unity gain.

For thru track I’ve found:
-Master volume: 19
-If using a master track: track level 127

-Thru: track level 127, amp vol +49

(Edit: I use main at 19 in order to be able to match volumes of different monitoring methods using their individual settings… Internal gain stage recommendations)

3 Likes

I thought levels should be something similar, but unplugging the headphone from the OT, plugging it into the Rytm, it is very loud

I’ll add OT headphones level is independant from master level, not with AR and A4.

2 Likes

Headphone outputs on devices all use an amplifier to power the small speakers in the headphones.

ok, but the sound from the Rytm in comparison from the A4 sould be similar. both coming into the OT

edit: both thru tracks have the source level and amp level set to +63

And the OT is infamous for a low isignal on the inputs. I just crank the gain until the led’s start to hit yellow, then bring it back a little.

the output dial on the A4 is at approximate 40% and on the Rytm 100% to get similar levels on the OT.

Most boxes have differing output levels. Maybe search “gain staging” in the OT part of this forum as well, for more info. Lots more info.

thanks, will do :wink:

And if you do live sound, gain staging is one of the most important things to know. If you learn it you will make your sound guy less stressed out.