OctaEdit - Octatrack Software Editor and Librarian [ OSX / Windows ]

Wow, impressive work again Rusty!

Speaking of add-ons,

I could not find a quick way to copy a group of selected patterns to another one between two banks in the manager module, and the manual does’nt say it neither, I can’t find this feature in the sequencer module either,

What I’d like to do is, with examples:

Copy bank01 patterns 9-16 (with associated parts) to bank02 (same set, but project could be the same or different) patterns 1-8 (parts pasted either on same numbers, or choosen ones)

Ability to choose the target patterns individually would also be more powerful, say I want to move the patterns inside a project or between projects (and thus, not copy-paste but cut-paste), i.e. patterns bank01 patterns09-12 to bank 02 patterns 1-4… or Bank01 patterns1+2 to bank 01 patterns5+6 to make some room in patterns 3+4 for further sequencing…

It could be done like in the samples manager, with source and target slots for patterns and parts, and an option to switch from copy/paste to cut/paste(move) for each operation or group of operations…

It would be really great to use it to batch-process copying/moving patterns and parts around, having only to “execute” the operation one time for all :smiley:

Just saying, ah ah, because you seem to get a bit bored and needing some coding work to do after all these videos, ah ah!

Do it or not, Octaedit is already DOPE for the Octatrafk <3

1 Like

Set the ‘Element’ as ‘Pattern’

Manager: Change Element to ‘Pattern’
Sequencer: Click the ‘Actions’ button, then change Element to ‘Pattern’

If by “group” you mean “Copy Patterns 01, 02, 03 and 04” to “13, 14, 15 and 16”; then no, I haven’t built it to work in that methodology (see below)

Options -> Manager -> ‘Show Confirmation prior to Execution’ : Turn this off. (This will remove the popup messages)

Go to the Manager module and:

Change Element to ‘Pattern and Part’
Turn ‘Auto Save Project’ off (so we don’t save to the Octatrack / disk every time, we just do it in memory)

• Source: Bank 01, Pattern 09
  • Target: Bank 02, Pattern 01.
    For Part you can use:
  • 01, 02, 03, 04 : Always write to Part nn
  • S (Source) : Use the Source Part number. Will be whatever is linked to the Source Pattern (i.e. Bank 01, Pattern 09)
  • T (Target) : Use the Target Part number. Will be whatever is linked to the Target
    Pattern (i.e. Bank 02, Pattern 01)

Hit Execute.

Source: Bank 01, Pattern 10 | Target: Bank 02, Pattern 02. Part ?? | Hit Execute.
Source: Bank 01, Pattern 11 | Target: Bank 02, Pattern 03. Part ?? | Hit Execute.

Source: Bank 01, Pattern 16 | Target: Bank 02, Pattern 08. Part ?? | Hit Execute.

Should take you less then a minute… don’t forget to save the Project when all done.

As above with the Manager module, or in the Sequencer module, use the Copy/Paste/Default menu options?

Click the ‘Actions’ button to show the ‘Sequencer Actions’ form.
Turn ‘Auto Close’ off (so we don’t close the form automatically after execution)
Change Element to ‘Pattern’

• Source: Bank 01, Pattern 09 | Target: Bank 02, Pattern 01 | Hit Execute.
  • Source: Bank 01, Pattern 10 | Target: Bank 02, Pattern 02 | Hit Execute.
  • Source: Bank 01, Pattern 11 | Target: Bank 02, Pattern 03 | Hit Execute.
  • Source: Bank 01, Pattern 12 | Target: Bank 02, Pattern 04 | Hit Execute.

Close the ‘Sequencer Actions’ form.

• Select Bank 01, Pattern 09. Menu -> Default
  • Select Bank 01, Pattern 10. Menu -> Default
  • Select Bank 01, Pattern 11. Menu -> Default
  • Select Bank 01, Pattern 12. Menu -> Default

Done.

[quote=“MonstreJumo, post:1018, topic:4742”]It could be done like in the samples manager, with source and target slots for patterns and parts, and an option to switch from copy/paste to cut/paste(move) for each operation or group of operations…

It would be really great to use it to batch-process copying/moving patterns and parts around, having only to “execute” the operation one time for all :smiley:[/quote]

Not going to happen like that :slight_smile:

The execution is extremely quick, like I said above, turn off confirmation and auto-save to improve speed, but don’t forget to save when all done.

If I built it like the Samples, except with options to Copy/Paste or Cut/Paste (Move) then you would have a scenario where it is just too clunky from a UI/UX point of view, and that would detract from the capabilities.

Say for example that you are wanting to that batch processing with Patterns? Thats 256 potential permutations. Ok, not too bad. It’s just like the samples…

Lets extend that to Tracks… you are now asking for mapping like Samples, except to handle 4,096 permutations… :open_mouth:

Trust me, people would complain about having to deal with that scenario, and on top of that, the first question that gets asked is I want to copy A to X, Y and Z… whoops, can’t do that, because painted myself in a corner with the mapping…

Trust me that there is a method to the madness @MonstreJumo… and all these things were considered.

What makes you think I’m not doing both? :loopy:

1 Like

Do you want a video or Skype for that @MonstreJumo ?

1 Like

Thanks Rusty, I dont need any video for these operations, as I think I perfectly understood how OE works for these tasks.

I had already managed to do all the operations I needed, one after the other as you described it, and it works like a charm. I just thought that source/target dual window with slots like the sample manager would be interesting but yeah, maybe cumbersome or too complex…

No problem here Rusty, I’m fine with it for now :slight_smile:

3 Likes

OctaEdit : Sequencer Step Actions

Sequencer Step Actions allow the ability to affect any Element of any Step.

Elements are Trigs, Swing, Slide, Sample Locks, Parameter Locks etc.

Actions available are Randomise, Default and Clone from Source.

1 Like

As is I’m afraid. Only OctaEdit/Computer or the Octatrack can access the CF card at any point in time.

1 Like

Thanks.

Question regarding OctaEdit.

Can you run it with octatrack playing music simultaneously . ie Have Octaedit opened and able to edit sounds, sequences fx etc all whilst jamming with audio coming out the octatrack. Or is this program just for (pre)editing projects which you then transfer into octatrack for playback.

As per post above yours @s3kn0tr0n1c

1 Like

Thanks…

As an owner of an OT I am very interested in this software, although I can’t quite get my head around how this could be useful without realtime feedback of the audio?
As I gather you are not able to hear every tweak you make from the OT as you are tweaking in the editor?
Not bagging the software at all, I am still genuinely interested in purchasing it but without allowing a personal demo on the operation of the editor I am not convinced it is very practical for me in its use. I can’t for example understand how you could program the sequencer module without realtime audio feedback from the unit?
Anyway as mentioned I was about to purchase the software till I read about this limitation and am now quite confused as to its practical usage?
I would love to hear from any users in how useful octaedit is to workflow as I also have the AK and AR using overbridge which I find an amazing improvement to workflow for myself, and was excited by octaedit thinking it could ‘bridge’ the gap for the OT also. Still need some more online demos of octaedit I guess before I make up my mind.

OctaEdit : Project

1 Like

Samples: Bulk Edit Samples

The Bulk Edit Samples function in the Samples module allows the ability to modify multiple settings for multiple Samples at once.

Each setting can be enabled / disabled by toggling the Red Cross / Green Tick.

1 Like

OctaEdit is not a software version of the OT nor is it a homebrew Overbridge. If that’s what you need, then you are right - OctaEdit is likely not for you.

What OE excels at is allowing you to be messy when using the OT. You can throw samples in, create projects and sets, save off lots of parts and patterns while focusing on creating music and then later, go back and clean it all up.

Other folks find value in being able to sit back with a better screen/UI and arrange their tracks/patterns/banks and set up songs using the Arranger.

If the OT is connected to your computer, only 1 device is allowed to touch the CF card - either the OT or the OE software, not both. That’s a hard limitation that can’t be programmed around, so it limits what the software can do without throwing a full version of the OT (or at least the playback engine of it) into the code.

I suggest watching all the tutorial videos and see if they fill some needs you have with regards to how you use the OT.

2 Likes

@psyclone001 : Pretty much what @oldgearguy said. Thanks @oldgearguy :heart:

[quote=“psyclone001, post:1027, topic:4742”]
I am still genuinely interested in purchasing it but without allowing a personal demo on the operation of the editor[/quote]

Apart from the videos, we can catch up for a personal demo via Skype / Twitch if you so wish.

Any last minute feature requests, bug reports, complaints, stuff or things?

For the record: @guga made me do it. :smiley_cat:

:scream::grin:

OctaEdit : Sequencer Recorders

The Sequencer module provides access to all 8 Recorders in each Part.

Each Recorder can be Copied, Pasted, Saved to the Library, Loaded from the Library and reset to its Default Settings.

Additionally, Recorders (i.e. all 8 Recorders combined) can be Copied, Pasted, Saved to the Library, Loaded from the Library and reset to its Default Settings.

1 Like

Version: OctaEdit v0.9.970
Release Date: 2016 10 10

Whats new?

OctaEdit

• General optimisation and bug fixes throughout OctaEdit.

Videos

Known Bugs / Status

• A couple of minor bugs / feature issues kicking around, which may end up getting pushed post v1… as these are (afaik) the only outstanding issues; are diminishing returns, and holding back v1 release…
2 Likes

i remember you mentioning being able to import midi files (.mid) into octaedit. is this something we might see in a future release? would be immensely helpful. ive collected a ton of midi files and occasionally i like to see how they sound in the sequencer with my gear.

[quote=“drowned, post:1036, topic:4742, full:true”]
i remember you mentioning being able to import midi files (.mid) into octaedit. is this something we might see in a future release? would be immensely helpful. ive collected a ton of midi files and occasionally i like to see how they sound in the sequencer with my gear.[/quote]

Midi Import/Export is something that you “might” see in a future release.

However, at present, the offical answer is “No”. It’s not in there, and I am not promising that I will add that functionality at a later date.

It definitely won’t be in there before v1. And the realistic, pragmatic answer as to whether it will ever be in there is “depends on sales”; bottom line, I’ve got mouths to feed and bills to pay, so we will see what the future holds. :slight_smile:

2 Likes