Octa as an instrument

Haha, it sounds like they were takin from me or something, it’s not that bad, story goes like this…
I had to leave my awesome cabin in the woods because it was no longer available. Somehow my life got split in three, I couldn’t find a spot for my studio and three cats, the studio went to storage, the cats went to a friends, and I went to a temp spot. I had no idea it would last this long I thought I’d be set up again in January. After a few weeks I freaked out and grabbed at least the OT, Rytm, and computer. Unfortunately I have a skin condition that comes and goes on my hands, it’s been bad lately so I haven’t grabbed my guitar, and part of me sort of didn’t mind because I need to practice much more with the machines to get them up to the level of how I play instruments… Now it’s months later and I’m asking myself why my guitar and keyboard and stuff is still in storage. I think it was worth it though because I have learned a bunch more stuff with the machines…
Here’s my cozy loft jam space I had, Looking forward to the next incarnation, wherever that might be… :thinking:

4 Likes

Whehe. Funny. But I sure hope dude’s stuff didn’t got stolen or something else terrible…

1 Like

Ah, wow. Glad it didn’t got stolen or something, because yeah, I feared something like that for a minute.
Still hope you’ll find your place to settle soon.
Then again: “every disadvantage has it’s advantages” as you got into the machines more :smiley:

Cool bunch of noisemakers, btw… Always wanted a theremin…

1 Like

Always appreciate new IPad backgrounds from @sezare56! :monkey_face:

2 Likes

If you can make sound with it, then it’s an instrument.
The fact you need to capture/dump sound into it first means it’s a serious instrument.

1 Like

This is bloody hilarious. Sitting on the couch with my girl laughing in tears. Tod can you hear me?..Tod…

2 Likes

F#ck it. I bought one. And read Merlin’s guide and skimmed the manual already. Hyped.

8 Likes

I wouldn’t say it doesn’t provide enough exactly. Just that it can do so, so much but you’re only able to focus on one or two things it does at a time from the front panel UI. Not that the UI Isn’t great, just that it (necessarily) is designed mostly for dipping in and out of modes that each give you a lot of control over a particular aspect of it.

The right controller, to me, does two things. First, it does some of the same things the front panel does but in a way that doesn’t require button combos or switching in and out of modes on the OT front panel, so you can stay in the flow - think of a second monitor on a desktop computer. Second, it takes advantage of the MIDI spec to do things that the OT is perfectly capable of, but are difficult or impossible from the front panel. I haven’t used the RuinWesen MiniCommand but I think that’s the sort of thing I have in mind, plus more physical controls.

2 Likes

Thanks.

Yeah, get it. Planning on setting up my Midi Fighter Twister and and an extensive Ableton rack for it. Envision it a bit the same as with my A4 (or all Elektron boxes, for that matter. Don’t use OB anyways). Let’s see how that turns out.
Should receive my OT today. Can’t wait.

3 Likes

Fire up the OT, crack the manual and start at page 1. Go step by step through the manual, perform the various steps and look through the miscellaneous config options until you get to chapter 13. Let us know if you have any questions. Oh, and have a great time!

3 Likes

It really depends what do you mean by an instrument. It is clearly not a traditional sampler and to me it does not make much sense to use it without its sequencer.

There is a list of limitations when using the OT as a ‘traditional’ sampler :

• there is no polyphonic track
  • audio track are only playable over two octaves (you can extend it downward with the rate parameter but is a workaround)
  • there is no support for multisample
  • you cannot assign the velocity/pb/aftertouch/modwheel to make a sound more expressive.
  • there is no sound pool like on the A4 : ie you cannot save your sound outside a project
  • the quality of the FX are debatable, it suits some people but not everybody …

That said the OT is outstanding when not using it as a traditional sampler, but as a live sampler, to make drone, as drum machine. In that case it has no equivalent !

1 Like

Thanks!
I already took the plunge, it’s arriving today :smiley:
Thing was: I was definitely not doubting it’s capabilities and are aware of the “shortcomings”. Just wondering it was feasible buying one, not using it as the mother brain of my setup.
And you guys convinced me. Thanks for that, also on behalf of my girlfriend and my bankaccount :wink:

1 Like

We got em Boys and Girls…
On to the next… :joy:
#Octacult

3 Likes

Welcome to the cult, for hazing over the next two weeks you will endure various levels of frustrating silence and weird noises. Prepare for assimilation

3 Likes

Now we get to see if he passes the initiation… And makes it through the rites of passage ceremony with the flex overlords… :monkey::sparkles: Hopefully he makes it through that Part, without causing a Scene…

3 Likes

@bark You have to Take ayahuasca and stay Static for 3 weeks…

4 Likes

Hey @Open_Mike, I’m right here :wink: In full confidence I’ll pass.
And thanks @jb, Without being cocky, I don’t believe it’s as difficult as some people claim, but deep it is. Looking forward to the next days/weeks…

1 Like

Damn… Funny OT-word-jokes… I’m not embedded enough to think of one :expressionless:

1 Like

And in one year you’ll begin to feel confortable in Octatrack’s parameters jungle…

6 Likes