Novation // Circuit

Did you enslave the Circuit to the RYTM ? I currently think about getting that little box, i dont have a VA synth currently, and with the sequencer its interesting to add it - the sounds i heared were very good.

I’m seriously gassing for a Circuit, but I wonder how the pads in note mode can work with the OT or A4.
I’d want to use the pads in scale mode to enter notes in the OT and A4 sequencer, is that easily doable?

I was thinking in one of these to match with the Analog Rytm, but the Program Change only change the scenes (not the patterns) which there are just 32. And for me is annoying that you have to clear the previous note in a step to place a new one. If there was a monophonic setting…

But when i change the scene, i can send Octatrack notes to it, and CC values for the performance knobs. It would make the internal sequencer a bit useless, and more setup would be involved.

It would also make the portability of the device useless - if i could not use the created sequences triggerd from OT. You would need to record the sequences into the Octatrack.

Ideally the Octatrack would get a midi import function.

Pllease tell me … HOW IS THE LEPLOOP ???

http://www.elektronauts.com/t/leploop-v2-help-please/9263

A couple tweeks to the midi settings on the OT and I was able to play the pads on the circuit and record them as sequences to the octatrack midi channels.
I set up 4 midi tracks on the OT as Ch10 and set the base note different for each of the 4 drum sounds.
I also set up 2 tracks each for ch1 and ch2, the synth parts.
Seemed to work good enough, I took the two boxes to a party the same day I figured out the above configuration and had no problem wrangling a couple hours worth of noise into the PA system.

edit:
A couple things I noticed. You can’t record more than one midi ch. at a time into the OT sequencer. It just records to whichever track is active (if the midi channels line up)
I noticed some weirdness with trying to play 16th notes on the drum pads of the circuit, like they were being quantized or choked out by the previous/next trigger. I also noticed this when synced to ableton live too.

2 Likes

Weird.
I don’t recall this, are you 100% positive on this point ?
It seemed to me I could record more than one MIDI channel, but I might be wrong, it’s been a long time since I tried this.

Weird.
I don’t recall this, are you 100% positive on this point ?
It seemed to me I could record more than one MIDI channel, but I might be wrong, it’s been a long time since I tried this.[/quote]

Page 112 of the manual confirms what musicmagus wrote.

A couple tweeks to the midi settings on the OT and I was able to play the pads on the circuit and record them as sequences to the octatrack midi channels.
I set up 4 midi tracks on the OT as Ch10 and set the base note different for each of the 4 drum sounds.
I also set up 2 tracks each for ch1 and ch2, the synth parts.
Seemed to work good enough, I took the two boxes to a party the same day I figured out the above configuration and had no problem wrangling a couple hours worth of noise into the PA system.

edit:
A couple things I noticed. You can’t record more than one midi ch. at a time into the OT sequencer. It just records to whichever track is active (if the midi channels line up)
I noticed some weirdness with trying to play 16th notes on the drum pads of the circuit, like they were being quantized or choked out by the previous/next trigger. I also noticed this when synced to ableton live too.
[/quote]
Well, I guess I can set the auto channels on my OT and A4 to 1 and 2 respectively and bam make the relevant track active and play it. I’m not fussed by being able to record one midi channel at a time, so no problem there but thank for the info.
Last question: On the Circuit can I switch midi out on/off quite easily?
Thanks for the help (including the guys that chipped in below)

Here is what I read :
[ul]
[li]If several MIDI tracks have been assigned the same MIDI channel, only the active track will record notes or CC data. [/li]
[/ul]

It doesn’t mean you can’t record simultaneously on two different tracks assigned to different MIDI channels.
But I may have overlooked something.

p.111 also states
[ul]
[li]If an audio track and a MIDI track share the same MIDI channel, the MIDI track will block the audio track from sending out data while the audio track will block the MIDI track from[/li]
[/ul]

So maybe there is something to investigate on this side.

Here is what I read :
[ul]
[li]If several MIDI tracks have been assigned the same MIDI channel, only the active track will record notes or CC data. [/li]
[/ul]

It doesn’t mean you can’t record simultaneously on two different tracks assigned to different MIDI channels.
But I may have overlooked something.

p.111 also states
[ul]
[li]If an audio track and a MIDI track share the same MIDI channel, the MIDI track will block the audio track from sending out data while the audio track will block the MIDI track from[/li]
[/ul]

So maybe there is something to investigate on this side.[/quote]

Please go ahead and investigate, and report back here with your findings.

I think i will get one tomorrow, i will update you here aswell.

So you will put the circuit into OT in, and let the circuit recieve clock via OT midi through or OT out ?

Does OT midi through send programm changes ? Or is this only on OT out ? That would make more sense for me at least.
I think at a certain point a central midi clock is needed- what is the limit from your expierience?

When you recorded the sequences into OT, you would delete the internal pattern, and then playback from OT ?

I got one now, and i think I will just clock slave it, and do live pattern switching on the device. I will run it into the A4, and then setup a macro for the input track, and then add in the sequenced loops.

The sound of the little machine, is really pleasant, and the work flow is very intuitive and fast. If the drum samples now could be exchanged everything would be perfect. I think its a very cool groovebox.

i hooked up a controller that tweaks the main noisy parameters and it helps too

parameters like
waveform 1 & 2
drive
filter type & drive on each synth

i used my machinewerk controller which can only do cc’s , but it works pretty well.

some buttons toggle reverb/delay and distortion on / off

unfortunately it seems to keep the cc values on the session without saving it, so i need to dig in a little to do things differently.
and i dont think it records the controller twiddling , only the built in knobs… again i need to check.

oevrall it helps get a wider range of noises without firing up the pc/editor.

Cool idea, i did my first jam with everything together now. Run the Circuit in the A4 for line in, and it just works perfectly.

I.e. it did recieve start stop without further doing anything.
The sessions are a bit interesting to setup, as you need to cater for FX tails - but its doable, i think its best to set the session to a very dry state, and to open up everything when needed.

I maped a macro on the A4 to blend in the levels of the external input, and i can now belend it in as needed. Also the drums were usable in combination with the RYTM. (Did not use the kick, but the percussions.)
I will try it again with routing it to a A4 track to use the filter
and modulations, that will be crazy.

I am really happy with the circuit.

man the 1.2 update just made this thing a lot more interesting… tbh it wasnt even on my radar until now - but since you can load your own samples, makes a fairly cheap, quick drum machine + 2 part VA

apparently it has full on P-Locking now?

Step Edit
[ul]
[li]Even easier step-by-step automation: have a different pitch on your drums for each hit. Add FX to one note in a sequence. With the potential for a different sound on every step for every track…[/li]

[/ul]

Picked one up yesterday.

Sounds great and very, very intuitive. Import of samples is great and 60 seconds of time is fantastic.

Just need to work out how best to get it working with my A4.

Any suggestions :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

connect them with midi cable - A4 will output midi clock + transport, right? the circuit should be able to sync to it - ive heard somewhere it accepts transport control, so it should start and stop at the same time

i dont think you can change patterns remotely tho - you have to do it from Circuit machine

Here’s a techno/house/electro drum sampleset I made for Circuit. 808/909/Drumatix/Miami/Rytm/A4/Tempest/Vermona/Tanzbar/CR68/Modular

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ua0fmcfuf0ypbsy/Adams-sampleset.syx.zip?dl=0

2 Likes