Nord Pad for Nord Drum 2

I’m toying around with the notion of going in on either the Nord Drum 2 and Pad or the Nord Drum 3P(whichever is cheaper, really) though I can’t determine how advantageous the Nord Pad really is. Bass input is useful, but the notion of playing hihats worries me. No spot to actually plug in a hihat controller(also how would you differentiate between open and closed hats?).

I’m thinking it might be better to just get the Nd2 or 3 without pads and go third party for a drum controller? Thoughts?

I just bought a ND2 for $425 on Reverb.com …All I can say is I’m totally impressed! I initially wanted a Machinedrum but after getting the ND2 I’m so happy I went with it instead. I’m using it midi and also triggering it from my modular synth.My only complaint is that it doesn’t have a dedicated power button so you have to either connect it to a power strip or disconnect the unit. Very lame…other than that it sounds incredible.

I am thinking of a Alternate Mode jamKAT for the Analg Rytm. Maybe this is also interesting for the Nord Drum.

Oh man, tell me more. I’ve been thinking about just that setup this weekend, ND2 triggered by a Trigger Riot more specifically, or via the Machinedrum since I just discovered beautiful things using the trigger outs with an RM-50. ND2 still seems like the best value out there for sound and features.

I can’t say enough good stuff about the ND2. The synthesis capabilities are absolutely stellar! The pallet of sounds you can create is extremely vast. You can trigger from the modular and midi at the same time should you want to. It has completely fulfilled my needs for trigger drums from my eurorack setup as well as via my DAW. Like I mentioned the only short fall is the lack of a power button and to be honest I’m not sure why they left a power button off of the unit…definitely not a deal breaker though. If I had to rate the ND2 as a drum synth I’d give it a solid 9.5/10 :smiley:

This looks cool NoiseLab. I do plan on getting some type of pad trigger for the ND2 in the distant future, right now I’m only using it midi as well as with my modular synth. thanks for the link :smiley:

Do you find the output level to be a bit low? I have to keep my volume on max and also add additional gain from my mixer preamp.

That’s really my only complaint with it.

Ah. Well, I have it running to a little mixer before it hits my interface so I haven’t really noticed a problem with the volume. :smiley:

BTW, how are you dealing with the fact that there is no power button? Do you turn it on via a power strip?

I just unplug it from the back, otherwise just leave it on all the time…

1 Like

The pads are great. I just got one and the pads just transform this machine into an organic beauty you can interact with. Sure you can sequence it but playing it is why I got it with the pads.

I’m not sure how hi hats controller work, but one of the presets if you hit hard it’s closed, and less and less as you ease up on intensity. It’s pretty intuitive… feels natural and… awesome :smiley:

I’m really psyched about getting one foot controller to do more intricate rhythms . If only I could play drums… that said, this is the closest I’ve been able to express the rhythms in my brain. Never again using keyboard to sequence drums.

1 Like

Looks like it’s time for me to buy the pads :smiley:

1 Like

A post was merged into an existing topic: Nord Drum 2 - Hesitation