Nord Drum 2 + OT vs. Rytm

Am I incorrect in thinking I can use 6(?) midi tracks on the OT to sequence ND2 maybe having the audio going back into one audio track of the OT and still have 6+1 (master) tracks left to work with on the OT?[/quote]
You’ve got it right and actually, I was mistaken by thinking you would lose some of your other tracks but I forgot the midi sequencer is separate from the internal sequencer.

Even still, the Rytm sound is a thing to behold!

1 Like

Good, I was worried :slight_smile:
So sound wise, anyone tried both?
Versatility is important to me since I like all kind of music.
I would love to own ND2, Rytm and MD Baddcr, but space is a big issue. There is also the financial aspect of it all.

I suppose the fact that you can put samples on Rytm is a big thing in regards to versatility though theoretically I could to that on the OT with similar success? yes?

You’re looking at a pretty hefty price difference there man. Try to frame this in terms of workflow:

ND2 is just a drum module, so your OT will still be the brain of your setup. You gain 6 tracks of nice VA drums.

RYTM is a full blown drum machine, with its own seq, tracks, plocks, kits, projects, etc. It will offer more flexibility in your sound but also possibly distract you when it comes to music making due to complexity.

I’d only consider the RYTM if you already know your OT very well and are convinced that such a ‘big’ machine will be easily integrated into your setup, mind and fingers.

2 Likes

+1 on the sound…

the deep effortless bass… the filters, distortion, etc…

use the fx lfo on the distortion amount or symmetry… add some modulated filter with resonance to a sample based melody and there just isn’t a digital synth out there that can match that analog grunt and grunge.

I find the single lfo per track with only 1 destination frustrating (makes me use performance mode more)… but the sound!!

Pair it with an Octatrack and you have an additional 24 LFOs. :wink:

Am I incorrect in thinking I can use 6(?) midi tracks on the OT to sequence ND2 maybe having the audio going back into one audio track of the OT and still have 6+1 (master) tracks left to work with on the OT?[/quote]
As AdamJay says, you’re exactly right - but the other thing to remember is that the OT’s MIDI sequencer is 4 note polyphonic. So while you can absolutely use a sequencer track on the OT for each voice on the ND2, you could also squeeze triggering of all six voices into just two OT MIDI tracks if you wanted.

If you want the luxury of muting each ND2 voice individually, then use six MIDI tracks - if you want to control other MIDI devices, then with a little forward planning regarding which ND2 voices can be muted at the same time, you can use less.

I generally use four OT MIDI tracks for controlling the ND2, and then run the audio from the ND2 into the OT ins and route them to a thru machine AND a neighbor machine, giving me four separate (p-lockable!!!) effects on the incoming audio. The opportunities for manic tweakery are fucking mind bending. :joy:

1 Like

As AdamJay says, you’re exactly right - but the other thing to remember is that the OT’s MIDI sequencer is 4 note polyphonic. So while you can absolutely use a sequencer track on the OT for each voice on the ND2, you could also squeeze triggering of all six voices into just two OT MIDI tracks if you wanted.

If you want the luxury of muting each ND2 voice individually, then use six MIDI tracks - if you want to control other MIDI devices, then with a little forward planning regarding which ND2 voices can be muted at the same time, you can use less.

I generally use four OT MIDI tracks for controlling the ND2, and then run the audio from the ND2 into the OT ins and route them to a thru machine AND a neighbor machine, giving me four separate (p-lockable!!!) effects on the incoming audio. The opportunities for manic tweakery are fucking mind bending. :joy: [/quote]
That’s great! Is it a lot of tinkering with the polyphony when doing that? But for now, 6 tracks for ND2 and 1 for BS2 will suffice :slight_smile:
More effects! I like it :slight_smile: Neighbour machines is one of those machines i haven’t touched yet. It sounds like I should open up the manual again.

hmm, there is one know (correction, knob) on the ND2 right?
so press a button -> turn, button -> turn.
Can i map all those different ones to the ctrl pages on the OT? And then p-lock? that would be neat :smiley:
Speaking of the ctrl pages, I still wish I would be able to map these to the crossfader :frowning: As I understand it’s not possible for… safety reasons? Too many midi messages being sent to fast, something like that? But at least give me one or two per midi track =)

Check Guga’s Morph4 if you cannot live without a MIDI crossfader :wink:
I think that having 2 separate crossfaders for audio and MIDI is a good thing, after all :slight_smile:

Check Guga’s Morph4 if you cannot live without a MIDI crossfader :wink:
I think that having 2 separate crossfaders for audio and MIDI is a good thing, after all :)[/quote]
Its not the cross fader per se, although it fits the purpose well, its more like changing parameters on multiple gear with one control would be nice :slight_smile:

1 Like

hmm, there is one know on the ND2 right?
so press a button -> turn, button -> turn.
Can i map all those different ones to the ctrl pages on the OT? And then p-lock? that would be neat :smiley: [/quote]
Yeah! It’s magical!!! The stuff of gods and legend!

Speaking of the ctrl pages, I still wish I would be able to map these to the crossfader :frowning: As I understand it’s not possible for… safety reasons? Too many midi messages being sent to fast, something like that? But at least give me one or two per midi track =)

Whatever the reason, not currently possible![/quote]
my mind said “knob” my body said “know”.

That’s pretty awesome! and then you could layer the drums with samples of the OT… hmmm. and use the effects and stuff of the OT? Too bad those effects would affect the whole of ND2, unless you sample to audio file first of course.
Wallet is starting to open, but I will try to wait for OB :slight_smile:

Now that used Rytm seem to get cheaper, I’m thinking about this comparison. I own the ND2 + OT.
Advantage of the Rytm would be the self contained box, the analog sound engines + samples, the fx… Since I still arrange tracks mainly in Ableton Overbridge with individual outs would also be really handy.

My question: Beside the obvious, great analog engine, how is the Rytm at glitchy, noisy, fm (machinedrum type) stuff compared to the ND. I know there were lots of machines added in an update. Of course you could use samples, but is the rytm very capable of this stuff? (the ND2 really is)…

Rocking my ND2 with the Digitakt and it’s amazing for creating sounds that I can’t get out of the Rytm’s synth engines (strange digi drums and more acoustic percussion). The Rytm is a complete work horse though and has more raw power in its sound. Both very different to my ears but complimet each other really well.

1 Like

Not much to add here; i’ve had both for years and still love them. Made tracks on them individually and in combination.
They do have a different sound, the rytm has more limited synthesis options, but is warmer and punchier overall. I still think the rytm kickdrums are unsurpassed by any other drum machine/synth. (Ok, an 808 clone or a machinedrum can keep up with it in their own ways)
The nd2 has a crispness to its transients that really contrasts well with the more rounded sound of the rytm, especially once you crank the compressor on the rytm.
As to glitch and fm, both can do it very well and go totally insane, the rytm’s advantage here is the immediacy of the internal sequencer and the grittiness possible due to its analog components, but the nd2 sounds more ‘crystalline’, less prone to becoming muddy when layered, with a pleasant kind of cold precision, to my ears.
For glitchy synth lines on the rytm, try opening the decay on rimshot or cowbell machines and then go wild with tuning and other parameters.

1 Like

Thanks for your comment. That’s my impression as well (though I never heard the Rytm in real live).
The immediacy of the internal sequencer is an important argument. While OT is magic at midi sequencing, even more since the trig conditions, you still have to set the midi tracks and the midi CCs up.
Another thing that let me think about the rytm is that you can record the individual tracks via OB.
And what I don’t like about the ND2 is that you only can change kits but not individual sounds.

I really love the sound of the Nord, and OT+ND is a powerful combo, but the rytm looks more practical with a more immediate workflow to me.

Can the rytm (with the most recent updates) also sequence the nord drum now?

only midi notes

1 Like

well as long as it sends midi notes and velocity, then you could sequence it i suppose, right? you don’t need anyhing else?

That would be enough to use the basic functionality of ND2 happily (similar to using its Global MIDI channel).
You would miss out on the ability to send CCs and change the sound of each drum, as can be done with the individual channels.

“All sequencer tracks on the Analog Rytm MKII can also be set to send sequencer data
through the MIDI OUT or USB ports to control external, MIDI equipped, gear. Each track
sends note on/off and velocity data over MIDI. For more information, please see “11.7.1 TRIGS
SETUP MENU” on page 43.”

2 Likes

Great to know
If I want to go crazy with CC and program changes then I also have an octatrack :wink:

1 Like