Nord Drum 2 - Hesitation

Bro I had to wait 6 months to find a studio 440 in good condition and 6 months to find a rodeo restyler. Be patient. There are only less than 700 studio 440s ever made

1 Like

Thanks for the tip. Unfortunately I’m out of cash, xmas and all… But good to know that they’re still around.

I’m not aware of any kind of “trigger mixer” in modular. Not sure how that would even work with any kind of accuracy for an application like this. You can often use a mixer for CV signals, but the point of that is to mix together CV to create a more complex signal. The problem I would see with trying to mix 6 triggers down to 1 is that you’d have no control over triggering individual parts…think of it like Omni mode in midi, receiving all notes from all inputs.

1 Like

for reasons I can’t explain this morning, I assumed that the triggers would not be CV but “the normal kind”. and even then, not sure where i was going with that. i guess i’m stuck in sad midi town while everyone else is in modular future town. thanks for helping clear the fog out of my skull. I read on muff wiggler that the ND handles CV just fine.

2 Likes

There was supposed to be a nord drum 3 not 3p…

Some comparison here:

3 Likes

I can attest to the fact that ND1/2 respond magnificently to CV, the smallest shifts in voltage translate into great expressive velocity hits.
I wouldn’t look at the 3P, the synthesis has been dumbed down so much I’m astounded. Reverb shmeverb

Someone over in the Nord forum claims they called Nord who confirmed there will be no ND3…

If that is true then it’s as I expected, shame though as for all it’s shortcomings I know I would have bought one since it’s different!
Can’t get enough NORD DRUM!

Finally ordered a nord drum 2 and nord pad from reverb.com Can’t wait to use it. Can’t wait to trigger the MDUW / YOCTO808/ and Abbey Road drums with it too. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Chess Move!

2 Likes

Yeah it’s great to be able to record the midi out of the ND2, be fun playing a Nord Modular drum kit for sure let alone some Doc Brown nuttiness.
Is it me or are Nord the canine’s testicles?

1 Like

Sequential Studio 440 was one of the best sounding samplers I ever owned. Made everything sound phat and juicy, gorgeous filters.

Bought mine from Mike Dred - The Kosmik Kommando (really lovely guy) in the 90’s, for a few hundred £.

Here’s an image of it in his studio (complete with missing pad cover): https://f4.bcbits.com/img/a4033874460_2.jpg

Doesn’t surprise me to learn so few were made. It was about £3k when released in the 80’s.

I often thought of the Octratrack as a modern equivalent of the Studio 440.

3 Likes

A digital OR module functions as a trigger mixer.

2 Likes

Question for Nord Pad users…do you use your desk or a separate stand for it?

I’ve used it on a cushion, on a desk with the foam from the box underneath, on a bed, knees, and blu-tacked to my NL4’s blank panel (kb). No problems playing with sticks, pencils and hands on any of these surfaces…
I don’t have room for a stand but would be great with the brain attached too…

Oh yeah nice trick is to attach the bracket to the ND2/1 for desktop use, it angles it just right for twisting it up!

4 Likes

I’ve used it a bit to trigger rytm drums but can’t modulate very well based on velocity to make it super enjoyable. On the other hand, triggering the internal sounds is always super expressive.

2 Likes

I use the Roland PDS-10 stand that’s recommended in the manual, plus the Pearl AX-25L. Coincidentally I already owned both for another purpose, but it’s a solid gig worthy setup.

2 Likes

Wow the nord pad 2 plus nord pad combo is great. It not only plays the nord instruments well but also kontakt drums, ableton drum racks, and battery 4. I’m gonna get the stand today.

4 Likes

Is anyone using ND2 with Octatrack in single Chanel mode? I’m planning to buy ND2 but have most of midi channels already occupied by other stuff.

What are the downsides / issues / workarounds etc.
Thanks!

1 Like

Each sound will respond to a different note on the same midi channel so layering on a single track would be limited to 4 notes. Not so much of a problem.
Biggest thing you will miss is playing each ND channel chromatically, although you could just sample anything so… another angle.

The ND2 is perfect with/for the OT.

Put it this way, no matter what you have, or how you use it, if you get the chance to buy an ND2 then you should!

3 Likes