No sample playback; other samples play fine on same machine

Hi guys, I’m having a bit of an issue with my OT.

So, I recently dumped a bunch of new samples in. I pick one I want to use in my new set. It’s about 46 secs long. I make a static machine, throw down a trig, and hit play. The sample doesn’t play, though everything else on the other tracks does. I open up the waveform editor and the waveform is in there with the scrubber scrolling along as usual. Just as an experiment, I put a different sample in that slot (similar length). It played fine, so I know it’s not a silly muting/xvol scenes problem.

Things I’ve tried:

• Disabling scenes
  • Previewing the sample (doesn’t play in preview either)
  • Powering on and off
  • Loading the sample into a different track on a new static machine
  • Loading the sample into a new flex machine
  • Double-checking sample compatibility (it’s a stereo 16-bit wav file with a 44,100 sample rate; OT is set to 16 bits)

I feel like I’m going crazy! :slight_smile: The sample is a spoken-word sample that I really need to open an upcoming set with, so it’s important to me that I fix it. The only thing notable about the sample is that I used one of those sketchy YouTube-to-Mp3 converter sites to grab it from a YouTube video and then converted it to wav in Audacity. Idk if maybe there’s some leftover encoding that could mess with playback? (This is not my area of expertise.) Thanks in advance for any help.

Do the sample have the little smiley happy before file spec in the sample manager ?

Yep, they do. Another discovery I just made is that another wav that came from a YouTube rip also won’t play. No idea what that means…

I’d try with a new project, with Flex, no other settings. If it doesn’t work, convert / export in a different way or with other tools…

When the cursor is moved over a sample, the smiley symbol at the bottom of the screen will show a happy face if the sample is ready to be loaded without any problems. If the file is too big to be loaded, or if the file is incompatible with the Octatrack audio engine, the smiley will look sad. Samples with an unsupported sample rate, like 48 kHz, will make the smiley look indifferent, indicating the sample will be played back albeit at the wrong speed. To the right of the smiley the sample rate, bit depth and number of channels of the selected sample is shown

2 Likes