No MIDI output - ARRRRGGHHHHH

^ + 1!

2 Likes

I would love if the A4 gets midi out but I’m not holding my breath.

BUMP! Lets push this thread through the stratosphere!

WANT MIDI OUT! why have it in the MD and not on the new machines?.. or at least supply us with an alternative route. I’d even pay for a fuckin’ upgrade that gives me MIDI out!

I believe their alternative route will be called digitakt…

Haha :smiley: So be it! So you think with Digitakt I could run CV from AR to Digitakt and from there run Midi to the MD?

Digitakt will have a full MIDI sequencer. Digitakt pre-release discussion takes place here:

Quote from Elektron employee @Ess:

2 Likes

Ok! Good info! I am looking forward to the Digitakt. Thanks for the links! I guess for now I’ll see if my Oplab might do the trick…

2 Likes

tbqh… it looks a lot like the DT OS is another version of the Rytm/A4 OS, sans analog stuff. same user-facing features, and pretty sure they’re sharing a lot of the internal magic… Elektron devs have now built MIDI sequencing for this generation of OS. it should be kind of trivial to make it available in Rytm/A4. imo, this is 100% not a technical issue.

what might keep this from happening:

• A4/AR CPUs are maybe already super busy dealing with analog things
  • there’s no space: each pattern would need twice the number of tracks if each track should be able to do both synthesis and MIDI
  • marketing

the first two things seem kinda moot… could be possible to choose a MIDI machine instead of a synth, so you could have a few tracks only doing MIDI duty, no extra space needed, would swap analog control resources for MIDI things, and the UI for that would be super simple.

leaves only one reason.

3 Likes

Isn’t this easily solved with any CV controllable synth that outputs midi? Just link up a Minitaur or Slim Phatty or any number of other options to your CV outs (which is really advisable anyway) and your ‘problem’ is solved.

I don’t think you’ll get notes. Seem to recall info to that effect over on the Moog forum. Would love to be wrong.

Ah… you may be right. Never tried it myself but I kinda got over the no midi output thing before I bought my AK.

Why can’t you make the a4 send midi? I know a lot of people who would pay extra to make it Do so . Many thanks Rick

They need to sell Octatrack and Digitakt too.

True but why not have it as a upgrade?

I too would be very interested in this. I cannot get the Minitaur and A4 to communicate via CV properly so MIDI out would solve that instantly.
Paying attention to Elektron’s business style over the years clearly shows they don’t like one product to step an another’s “shoes.” I can respect that. However, I am quite disappointed in having a combined total of nearly $3000 invested in an AR and A4 but would still need to spend at least $650 more for basic MIDI sequencing. Every box they have made (except the SID??) has some form of external MIDI except the Analog series. I truly hope they see the need for this feature in the Analog series. As for the time being, I now have my sights set on the MPC Live as I can’t see myself investing in the fairly dated Octatrack or the quite limited Digitakt to round out my hardware only setup.

Hopefully, your selfie will be the argument we’ve all been missing to convince Elektron to add midi sequencing support :aw: :cb: :panda:

1 Like

Not sure how they could be convinced… they know everyone wants it but they refuse to dedicate resources to implement it.

why can’t my toaster make coffee

1 Like

If you have nothing to say, why even post?