New Roland AIRA/Boutique instruments 9.09

Absolute stone to the bone classic right there.

Brb, I’m off to Discogs to see if I can buy everything Zeke Manyika’s ever touched in his career.

4 Likes

So since EVERYONE has/ is getting some form of 303 now, does that spell the end of acid? The end, as in ‘obnoxiously omnipresent’? Every ruddy popsong will have an acidline in it…?

Not in the slightest, acid has been one of the few genres that has never really gone away since the 80’s, proper acid, done right is quite a timeless sound, you can go on youtube and listen to thousands of shit acid tracks and thousands of great acid tracks, same as any other genre, and perhaps uniquely to acid the more elements in a track the less potent it can be.

So flavour of the month johnny come lately superstar DJ putting an acid line in some inane club/dance/pop crossover track is just going to sound (to people who understand acid) like a faker, and will probably be forgotten as soon as the next one comes along.

To a lot of people good acid activates pleasure chemicals in the brain, those people will never tire of it, plenty of other people blatantly and simply do not get acid, that is fine too. Listening to good acid takes commitment from the listener at first, sure it is an aquired taste, which is probably why it has never gone mainstream, fantastic. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

That’d be me then, but if any of it sounds half as good as this count me in (i can listen to a typical 303 so long as the filter and/or res are checked back a bit :wink: )

1 Like

I cannot shake free of the acid.
In fact the draw towards it, for me, now,is greater than ever.

I sometimes wonder, as a 46 year old, how I will feel when I’m 60.

I hope its like Michael Caines Character in Children of Men - except under jollier circumstances.

2 Likes

You will be rockin it out in the aged care centre with your elektrons at hand, room next to me.

4 Likes

^ Heh, don’t fight it Duncan :slight_smile:

Scott - yeah Andreas stuff is brilliant, for downtempo acid I prefer his by far over even Hawtins Stuff, and there is a good point to be made here, 2 artists with lots of the same gear, yet totally different sounds.

Also I think when some people think of acid they think of just the overdriven faster “'avin it stuff” (which I personally do not care for, even though I was part of the early scene) when that is only a small subset of a much larger style, and so a lot of the less in your face stuff slips under their radar. For me the 303 sounds best with no overdrive or distortion, heavy on the hi passed/low cut reverb or delay and utilising the whole range of the controls, I particularly love the watery liquid resonance that it does so well, few other synths can touch it IMHO, the only filter I have ever used which can get near is in my Bugbrand system.

Another thing that I love about acid is the meditative hypnotic effect some of it has, mostly as a genre it is associated strictly with dancing but the other side is even more interesting to me as I get older, and less able to dance :smiley:

4 Likes

I’ve never been a huge fan of the squelchy devilfish sound.
But the 303, on the low side of cutoff and resonance, is a wonderful bass synthesizer. It’s wonderful with poly rhythms, and 3/4 too.

A couple of my favorite tracks that use the more subtle and nuanced power of the 303:

4 Likes

What did it for me a long time ago

Favourite Acid Trak of all time is this squidgy workout by Bam-Bam, the subtle manipulation of the 303 and the hypnosis of the sequence, understated 808 and paranoia inducing deep voice all punctuated with classic car engine and glass smashing samples…
Real Acid will never die and this is for the Jackers :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Acid was the first sound i’ve tried to reproduce when i started to make electronic music (at start it was several samples with different settings cutoff/res/acc/dec of a 303) for my tracker now i’m using a bassbot and a X0X. and the first track i heard was Tyree Cooper “Turn up the bass”

My acid podcast for Acid Paris
TR606_Analog_Rytm_eurorack_TT303

HK

1 Like

I’ll probably listen to this every day for the next couple of weeks or so.

RIP DJ Spank Spank. He’s the founding member of Phuture that did the 303 sound for this classic track.

4 Likes

Although not strictly acid, it has to be Hardfloor Mustard Cornflakes, just love hearing the rip in the TB sound in the chorus.

Every Hardfloor album/ep contains at least one classic!

Tr09 and Tb03 are out today in Seattle at Guitar Center, I’m gonna go check em out and maybe swoop. I’m a tad skeptical of the Tr09 because I have a TR8.

Curious

Pfff, i have to wait two more months to try them out (europe) but its not all acid what is made with the 303. I myself am no acid fan but I use the 303 often in my tracks… And my favorite 303 riff is no acid track either…

https://youtu.be/VlFjf1pWk2c

Ah man, the compressor is only for the bassdrum and snare drum, not the whole kit…similar to the TR-8

I’m headed to the house to compare the TR8 to the TR-09.

Oh and the knobs on the Tr-09 are super tiny.

Hmmm…

Great tune, big fan of hers! She does mid-song costume changes when playing live, it’s nuts. Not to mention awesome touring band.

I like the TR-09 more than the TR8. The 9 has more character and groove. Settings below are at 0 swing. Curious

Jamming on the TR-09 and the A4 (kind of all you need):

https://soundcloud.com/djadonis206/ninetyfour

3 Likes

Can those knobs be controlled CC?

Good question. There’s not a lot info out there on the ins and outs of the 9.

Is the difference in sound and groove really that big between TR-8 and TR-09?