New project, new alias

Starting a new alias for work in the space somewhere near the intersection of electro, techno, and industrial…

Here’s something from that intersection:

Drums are a Rytm loop heavily processed with AD Grind + some backing FX w/ AD Replicant 2.
Bass lead is Monark, which was sequenced by Monologue, with live parameter tweaks from Monologue.
Backing arp synth phrase is Waldorf Largo, also sequenced originally by Monologue.
Melodic lead is AD Phopshor 2, an additive VST synth that I just adore, played live on Monologue’s keys (if you can’t tell, I REALLY like Monologue as a VST controller. One of the main reasons I want an OT MK2 is to use it in the same manner.)
Lots of Kush Omega N and 458A saturation VSTs sprinkled about for heaviness.

(edit, 15 months later…)
I’ll also post the additional tracks to this playlist in the title post.

25 Likes

Here’s another:

9 Likes

I like the idea of a new alias/project, for a fresh start. It’s somehow freeing, despite it being the same artist producing the sounds!

Anyway, it’s clear that you work hard on your sounds and that’s such an important part of keeping the listener engaged.
Well done.

7 Likes

Only tune I have finished this year… ugh. New job is very demanding, not as much time for finishing tracks.

OT MKII sequencing 606 drum samples. All synths and bass are taken from a single but lengthy Korg Monologue phrase (internal sequencer) which was sampled / layered / arranged.

11 Likes

Now I want to start a new project too! :frowning:

Seriously, amazing work there! I thought I had a clear idea of where “fragmented simulation” was gonna go, and was pleasantly surprised :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks!

Monologue is good at surprises. I never have any expectations with it and it always goes somewhere fun. No steering wheel, all accelerator! :slight_smile:

Really good and inspiring stuff!

a few things are in the works…

The Drumatix/Monologue/DN/OT setup is proving fruitful. Will have time to complete these tracks in a couple weeks.

4 Likes

I used the same strategy for my Synthwave music, I used and alias so I didn’t mix it with the Surf Rock/Instrumental from my personal SoundCloud account.

Digitone blends so well with those metallic hats from the Drumatix. Sounding great.

1 Like

Scored an old Boss DR-110 with DIN SYNC mod on eBay. A bit of a nostalgia buy , as the DR-110 was the 2nd drum machine I ever owned.
However, only bottom (accent) row of dots on the screen would display. This defect was advertised.
I talked the guy down $70 due to the display issue. It arrived yesterday. So I borrowed a screw from the int/ext sync button to tighten the display (a couple threads were unpopulated), and viola! Display works great now.

As such, another work in progress was born out of testing it. DR-110 + Digitone:

and an OT WIP as well. All will be completed soon.

6 Likes

Is there anything sweetening that DR-110? Sounds great.

some independent L/R EQ to move the hats to one side and snare to the other.
a bit of plate reverb above 1khz, and some compression.

1 Like

Thanks, I think Instagram converts videos to mono (or they did when I was using it) but it’s still coming across really well.

1 Like

Thanks. The DR-110 is no slouch. Just needs a little eq/dynamics and sync mod love.
Hat behavior (when partially closed and/or reaction to accent) is very similar to TR-606. And it takes AA’s instead of C’s! :slight_smile:

Some day I’ll buy another stock unit and go all out on the Alien Devices Mods + MIDI retrofit.

3 Likes

Just to confirm, that’s the DR-110 kick and not the Digitone doing that? I really don’t remember it sounding like that. :ooh:

Correct DR-110 kick., only sound coming from Digitone is that arp’d FM bass line thing.

2 Likes

Drumatix + Digitone + Monologue

6 Likes

the second half of this track is banging hard

1 Like

A favorite technique of mine, lately, has been to layer the same CH/OH/Accent pattern programmed on both the Drumatix and DR-110, then hard pan them opposite, then start fussing with accent levels and rearrange the pattern as the track builds.

Just in love with this sound at the moment.

7 Likes