New product from Arturia? [DrumBrute]

I tend to think compromised outputstage to be noisy, prone to distortions (especially in the high frequencies) and clipping big/fast transients. Power supplies and amplifiers in circuits need special care to avoid these pitfalls, and that usually means more expensive builds (unless geniuses are involved).

However, sometimes this can also sound pleasing to the ear, it all depends on context.

In any case, I’m eager to test this new brute out!

1 Like

The microbrute has a nice clean output why wouldn’t the brumbrute?

1 Like

Honestly I think Arturia has a great advantage over other synth manufacturers. Arturia can afford a slimmer profit margin because of the profits made from their soft synth line. This company is providing great products at reasonable prices. I see that as a winning formula. Just look at the success of their brute series! It’s crazy success for a company who just entered the analog synth world.

It’s just reasonable speculation for sure but you can’t deny that profit from a super successful softsynth is insane.

I paid about 750 euro for a user named SubStyler to build it. I had to buy the power supply separate. The Nava still has bugs. It’s so not too many builders want to sell a buggy product. Once the bugs with the Nava are ironed out I will get one too

No hiss or noise? Not bad then

Yeah I’m just bystander but I can’t help but notice the success Arturia has had with their latest hardware offerings (beatsteps and brutes). Granted they flopped with the origin and maybe the spark but they recovered beautifully going analog. I just feel that because they started from the software side they had an advantage of financial backing and a market that welcomed them with open arms.

2 Likes

I still use the spark CDM to this day. I like sampling the analog and physical modeled drums on it

1 Like

Because the microbrute has only one vca, as opposed to having 17?

They also produce in massive quantities using low-cost components, I think the profit margins on their hardware are probably pretty good.

1 Like

…and this is what it’s all about👍

I just don’t think they would release a product that is flawed like that. (Noisy outputs) Why risk their reputation? I’m just going off what I’ve seen from the other Brutes and they are decent quality products. The goal should be to release the best possible product at the best possible price and crush the competition. Right?!

Of course that is their goal. Just speculating here. And I do hope you are right on this one.

1 Like

I picked up the brute last week. Kind of an impulse buy but so far the function to feature aspect is really nice. Every thing is very logical and laid out nicely. They definitely cherry picked some ideas from a handful of products over the last few years (hints of the volcas, tempest, and rytm). The polyrhythm function is dead simple(i.e. pattern length by individual track) and the little performance touches like the step/repeat touch pad are very nice. Lack of automation isn’t a big deal for me as this thing clicks a ton of boxes in terms of workflow and integration. So far no clock issues. I’ wouldn’t consider myself a drum machine snob by any means but I’m enjoying the tonal variety as well. On a side tangent, I think elektron’s marketing is working because I’ve just been craving distortion for the last handful of months. Right after the drum brute purchase I thought, “I could use an analog heat or drive.” I ended up buying a used pigtronix disnortion(pretty killer) on craigslist for cheap and it will quell my overdrive lust for hopefully some time. I’ll probably start a seperate thread on the disnortion as it is a pretty capable/varied effect in it’s own right.

2 Likes

Had a play with one of these last week. Dead easy to use, sounds decent, and that random feature is surpringly useful. Overall not a bad techno machine for a nice price. If I was in the market for a drum machine it’d be up there on my list.

I make a test with brute and for me is pppfff…the sound is not what i was waiting,is a little metalic,cheap,maybe thats the reason that the price drop…forsure is not tanzbar or vermona.
And forsure if you run the signal throu compressor or something with good converters the sound it will change,
But as a original pure brute the sound is not good for me.

I picked up a Drumbrute this week and I am in drum machine love… its super fun, has loads of interesting features, sounds great in the mix and really suits what I am doing musically. Very happy purchase.

The performance features are just super and sequencer is brilliant for the price…

Regarding sound, initially I wasn’t so impressed with the hats and felt the open and closed were too similar to each other but in the mix they actually sit really well and their distinct character makes the sound quite different to other hats so that’s a nice surprise. The metallic quality helps them cut through the mix and stand out which is nice. TBH it makes my TR8 seem like a toy…

2 posts were split to a new topic: Arturia DrumBrute Impact

Not to steer this off topic, but had a really bad experience with the original Drumbrute that I have to share. My studio partner went through three Drumbrutes in less than a year. Each time, one or more of the voices crapped out within ~3 months of purchase. Arturia was completely unresponsive to inquiries. Caveat emptor.

1 Like

ProAudioStar has brand new Drumbrute CREATION LTDs for $250.
http://www.proaudiostar.com/arturia-drumbrute-creation-limited-edition-drum-machine.html

1 Like