New AR user

This weekend …AR time!

As adviced by you guys, update first.
C6 installing on my Windows PC, USB to AR, OS 1.30 file, right?

Since this a laptop without MIDI software this will work?

Since this a laptop without MIDI software this will work?

Midi is transfered over USB, and C6 is bidirectional software.
So yes and OS 1.30D don’t forget to speak on OS with the letter as this is the letter everybody follow as up-to-date or not

Thank you William, clear.

No AR user after all…

After reading too many negative topics I don’t think me and AR become friends.

This unit will return to the shop

Negative topics on what ? on your thread bassmaster ? it’s just AR is not a sampler after all Octatrack is a sampler so it’s dealing with sample better. you have a card player on it so transferring is drag and drop. and fast depend of your card specifications. AR is not a sampler. it’s a drum machine with sample layering capabilities. That’s really not the same !!! it can be a groovebox beast ! but if you intend to fill it with let’s say 2 gig of loops that’s not going to work unless you be patient for the time to upload… or you are in a selective way of sample before to send to the AR.

That’s all.

You should not considered AR like a NI Maschine kind of Hardware. Sample is transferred by MIDI it’s not slow but it’s not fast as a hard drive. you know that when you buy it.

Hello William,

All your comments about sampler, slow etc is not the case for me.
I know what this AR is about, I bought this for the analog sounds.
The sampleplayer is just an extra.
For that I have an MPC.
The AR isn’t finished some way.
The LCD did it finally but main complain is the trial and error software.

Before you return it, I advise to spend time with the unit alone, get some beat and just turn the knobs while Live recording.
Mess with the retrigs, the conditional trigs.

I can’t believe one can master this unit in a week time.

what is that, just curious, out of interest, because I honestly cannot even guess what you mean ?

1 Like

This is true.
I really regret to send it back but there are (again) too many things about this product which FOR ME aren’t right.

To each their own I guess, one of my producer buds hates the UI of Elektron machines but always loves hearing what I do with them. Hope you find something that gels nice!

If you’re prepared to shell out that kind of money, but don’t like the AR, you should look in an entirely different direction. Go for the Tempest. With the latest updates, it’s just become a bleedin’ awesome piece of gear. And it was pretty good to begin with.

As told Give the machine some time it’s a awesome thing I’m using mine only for a month and half and it needs some study and goodwill but it’s a powerful little mtherfcker. Invest the time in it and it will reward you.

1 Like

can you elaborate on the “trial and error software”?

As for the AR not being finished, aside from a minor bug or two, can’t think of much to be added tbh. Nothing showstopping anyway.

1 Like

Which is true for all instruments with depth. Might be good for the OP to consider if it’s putting in the time that’s the issue, since it’s hard to say you’re swinging either way with the AR until you’ve spent some time with it.

When reading the topics concerning the AR I see that there are struggles after updating, calibration ends in error, missing sequences/sounds, etc.
People report problems with PSU, fading and burned LCD.

Ofcourse there is a 3 year warranty but even within that period of free repairs what will happen next? The AR is probably out of production (how long is it on the market…2014?) by then.
Small company so I don’t think the spare parts are piled up, not to think about the costs or worse no LCDs at all.

Don’t get me wrong, I think the AR has a lot of balls soundwise but it isn’t finished yet.
Hopefully they will learn and build an improved product in the near future, less faults and more userfriendly.

…coming from the 80s and 90s with all hardware and a Atari ST…

Did you ever get to update to 1.30?

I got my unit almost by the same time you did, and I can only say good things about it.

One thing you have to remember is that the Internet is biased to show only what has gone wrong - many will never search forums to say that everything works as expected.

I had a bad experience with a Moog Sub Phatty. The overall email support was excellent and I had to manually calibrate it myself (open the unit and adjust a few trims). If you search MoogMusic’s forums, you’ll find basically topics about problems. They are not about the majority of instruments, but only a small fraction of them. And believe me, even with a few minor things, they’re very reliable.

I hope you were sure about your experience and returning your AR. To me, there’s nothing even comparable.

Cheers

1 Like

Are you sure for the Tempest as far as I remember the last update is OS 1.4 from 2015 January the 2th
I heard that a user petition : https://www.change.org/p/dave-smith-help-make-the-tempest-a-priority-for-dave-smith-instruments

With a list of User request and new Bug introduce by version 1.04
So from what I heard the Tempest is a very nice machine but at DaveSmith it’s not a wonderful world too :stuck_out_tongue:

So… I guess people who want a perfect machine with no bug at all probably need to stick to the computer (ITB only) BUT what I’ve learned with computer, machine, electronic in general STABLE not existed that’s why Backup is the only thing who could save some disagreement… When it Crashed you have your Backup and then you need to re-done from Backup step to the Crash step … that’s LIFE
(Probably… no offense in anyway… just a thought I have)

Thanks for your kind reply.
In fact you are right about the internet and forum things. However…

The AR problems, how small they might be for some, is something I have problems with.
“LCD story” is not just a single AR out of ten thousands.

Last friday I received my AR, went home and at the Elektron website I found the C6, OS1.30 and the latest pdf manual which I received as a nice book today by mail.
Ready I was.

But now the AR box lies before me unopened.
When I open it , there’s no refund when I sent it in.

The petition worked. The Tempest has received regular updates since. Latest one (albeit small) was yesterday.