New Aphex Video + Collapse EP

I dig it, but to be honest it’s a bit same-y to me. Yeah, it’s impeccable - I’m not arguing that. Few can touch it. But I feel like he’s gotta have a ton of stuff that shows off different sides of his personality. I’d really dig hearing more stuff like that Imperial Ring track from his Soundcloud dump. Maybe he needs to work up another moniker to release it under (this is all very on-brand for Aphex Twin though), but that’s the stuff that would loosen my poop.

edit: super weird, but the original link I posted linked to a different track. I have no clue how that would have changed.

I think this is some really neat stuff.

… along with other nice gear like the ARP2500

(screenshot from the video)

5 Likes

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/aphex-twin-on-new-syro-lp-im-feeling-really-horny-about-it-and-very-smug-49382/ [03.09.2014] -->
Do you have instruments with you at the hotel right now?
Yeah, I’ve got this brand spanking new Swedish digital-analog hybrid drum machine-sampler-synthesizer. It’s fucking good. Pretty much everything I do has to be somehow related to making music – when I came up to London to do press, I thought, “Oh, I can go on the train and make some music on the way up.” But then on the train, I didn’t have any power sockets to plug anything into, so that didn’t work out so good. I’m going to make sure that they have sockets in the one on the way back.”

2 Likes

I thought I heard him using FM synthesis on that track and lo and behold I see TX81Z on your screenshot.

On my second listening through of the EP- it’s the best of his new stuff.

3 Likes

Ran through it twice in the car, liked it. Put it on a decent set of headphones when I got home, loved it.
Really nice programming, especially liked the little footwork section on track 4.

1 Like

I love it!!

2 Likes

one of the tracks has 2xR8’s in the name…
i wonder if the prices will go up.
it’s basically a drum machine that can play at different pitches , which can be heard in the track.
i hope people dont rush out and buy them , it takes work / commitment / programming to get a good track out of any gear. i had one many years ago , pads were horrible . it has 'humanisation to it , which i think was basically micro timing … can be achieved in a few different ways.

i wonder if people thought he was using a zx81 to make his videos that theyd suddenly sell bucket loads.

the main thing that stands out to me is how he doesnt use the same old idea throughout an entire track for 6 minutes , , they can change quite drastically from beginning to end … with a few elements that continue throughout but new melodies may come in , get used briefly and then vanish …
lots of fm too.

2 Likes

It’s good. Sounds great and incredible drum programming. Heard some Jlin influence in there.

Tbh though I don’t ever need to hear a 303 again, I don’t care who’s programing it. Don’t at me. :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

ooh, just bought the tape/download over at bleep track 4 abundance10edit is my favorite… really solid EP over all I think. The last track gets really insane but supplies some relief just when you think you can stand the chaos any longer.

1 Like

This ep is ace.
The section of abundance from ~2:45 is :raised_hands:

1 Like

You are right. I gave it 10 more spins and my review reads as follows

4 Likes

Watching an old Aphex interview by john peel, in RDJs home town…at an old amphitheater…inspiration for the new ep art?

5 Likes

Cool Interview
https://crackmagazine.net/article/long-reads/aphex-twins-mask-collapses/

4 Likes

Just read that. Thanks for sharing it!

1 Like

Holy cow, he accidentally spoke to somebody, that hasn’t happened in a while. (I don’t blame him, it has to be a bit of a drag to do interviews about your art)

2 Likes

he also gave an interview for the german musikexpress recently

9 posts were split to a new topic: Aphex Twin recommendations

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: Aphex Twin recommendations?