Need help setup Elektron A4 with No Coast over CV

Eurorack is more simple than Elektron workflow. You have VCA, VCO, VCF, LFO. Really cannot get more basic than that in terms of what subtractive synthesis is about :slight_smile:

Hmm maybe I need to dumb things down a bit and go with a Roland SH-01A? No confusing gadgets just a few knobs and switches. No menu diving.

IT WORKED! Many thanks @Unifono

I did have to use separate patch cables from the 0-coast to the A4 though. Here is what I did:

I then made a cool fun jam session with the A4 and 0-coast. Quite amazing how well these two guys play together. Heck add some kick and snare and have full set.

Ok so now my next challenge is how to best configure the Elektron Analog 4 and 0-coast with the Korg Volca Beats into the Elektron Octatrack MKII?

Ideally have these as slaves to the OT as the central master controller/sampler/sequencer but ability to make adjustments on each synthesizer. How would you best go about this task? I don’t have a mixer but can get one if that would make things easier in the future as I plan to add a small Eurorack or FM/Digital synthesizer and drum machine to the kit at one day.

1 Like

Hi all,

Something I noticed today while messing about with my 0-coast and Analog 4 MK2. It works fine and I can hear sound on the CV and FX tracks. BUT when I press the pause key on the A4, the 0-coast keeps playing and does not stop playing!

Is there a way to fix this?

Well to start with are you running through a track or direct?

I have it connected to my A4 directly to EXT input and set on CV to TRK per the below screen shots

I have the A4 connected to my OT. Playback from A4 tracks works fine and can be paused from the OT no problem at all. BUT from the A4 or the OT, I cannot do this with the 0-coast.

So the sequence of the CV track keeps playing while the rest of the tracks on the A4 stop?

yes

And you’re not playing your ocoast thru a track, you have the direct in turned up? You sure you aren’t triggering your o coast by itself in your patching?

yes I do it is weird issue

as far as triggering the o-coast via patching I turned off the arpegiattor via the PGM A and B buttons. Hmm looks like a support call to Make Noise perhaps and Elektron support? No biggie as I can turn volume down on the 0-coast or A4 but would be nice to automate things better.

Been focused today on learning to use video editing software as I need to up my game on my videos so they do not suck anymore.

If your 0-coast patch is constant—ie. you’re using the Slope section on cycle mode to affect the Dynamics section, or if you’re using the default drone—then it won’t matter if the A4 is playing or not because the 0-coast will be essentially playing itself. You need to patch it in such a way that the gate output from the A4 affects the Dynamics. This isn’t something you should place a support call for. They’re not there to teach you the basics of synthesis.

1 Like

so is what you are saying that the 0-coast has a mind of its own? I am new to modular type stuff.

When you plug headphones directly into the O-Coast are you hearing sound? Do you have the slope looping (light active above slope circuit), or something plugged into the dynamics?

1 Like

Do you still have your “drone patch” that you used to patch in all your first videos?
The sum into the dynamics?

Here is how I have my A4mk2 set up with the 0-Coast and works a treat. Before doing this perhaps unplug everything from the 0 Coast apart from line out.

CVA
TYPW: Trig (the output goes to ‘gate’ on the 0 Coast)
Length 32
Polariy: V-Trig
Level: 5.0 v

CVB
TYPE: Pitch V/Oct (the output goes to 1v/Oct on the 0 Coast)
Noe 1: C3
Volt 1: 0.402v
Note 2: C5
Volt 2: 2.392v

The tuning here might vary from machine to machine or between mk1s and mk2s, I made a note of the settings for mine so I didn’t have to do it all over again every time I changed a project. I’d suggest doing the same when you get it right.

CVC and CVD you can set to ‘value’ and have them modulate any parameters you want on the 0-Coast.

If you’re saying that you’ve programmed a cv melody from the A4 and that melody continues to play on the 0-Coast only when you’ve stopped the A4 then that is very strange, it doubt it would be an issue with the 0-Coast though.

3 Likes

Thanks I will spend some more time with it and see if that helps.

ok fixed issue and found out the drone patch on the 0-coast over rides the elektron! Probably a good question to run by Make Noise if they know why this is case

I had to do two things

1. Set MIDI on Octatrack to send/receive from the A4 for some reason a new project automatically resets these values and have to go back into MIDI menus and check them to have send/receive boxes checked off.

2. Check settings for CV A and CV B on Analog 4

Now it is working. The one issue I have to fix is a lot of background noise clicking coming from the Analog 4. Any idea to fix that would be helpful.

It’s not an issue. It’s how it’s supposed to work. If you’ve set it up so it plays constantly there’s no other way to stop or start it than patching a CV/gate to do so.

3 Likes

Ok so the drone patch on the 0-coast is supposed to over ride everything from the Elektron? Interesting!

Now to figure out why I am getting excessive background clicking from the Analog 4 tracks that is annoying as heck.

Yes. You’re basically getting it to generate its own control signal so don’t even need to have CV/gate plugged in from the A4.

2 Likes

Cool many thanks great thing to keep in mind with this device. Glad I got it sorted and playing nice with my A4 and OT they go well together. I am working on a few sample packs for some shows in the future.