NDLR - A Multi-Part Polyphonic Arpeggiator by Steven Barile

I never thought I would post in this section on new gear, but I also thought I would never support a music device project on Kickstarter … well, today I did. I just liked the idea and the two guys. Enjoying the Squarp Pyramid for a few weeks, this would fit nicely between the sequencer and the synth:

http://kck.st/2xMNk5F

I had to watch the video twice to figure out what this thing is about and how it fits into a setup :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Looks good for $199.

I backed up this one

They are very close to their goal. I hope they make it:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/thendlr/the-ndlr-a-multi-part-polyphonic-arpeggiator

I hope as well and they added some nice features in the meantime.

funded

I was just talking with someone last week about making more or less this same thing in Axoloti, great to see someone is already doing it right. Not quite what I personally need (it seems more focused on playing without a keyboard than on arpeggiating and transposing input from external sources in real time, which is what I really need right now) but still very cool.

Do you think it would make any sense to get one of these to drive an A4 alone? The A4’s limitation to four voices makes me think it really wouldn’t do it justice – in that the NDLR seems to be all about playing a drone, bass voice, lead/arpeggio and chords simultaneously.

Not sure whether “The A4’s limitation to four voices” is really a limitation. That is four monophonic synths in one box, so no problem with the A4 and the NDLR. I am not yet sure how I an going to use it. I just liked the idea of generating notes automatically (instead of planning this in the DAW first, as I would do). I just ordered an Electro Harmonix RTG Random Tone Generator with a similar idea in mind - feeding those random tones into the Eventide H9 algorithms to get some sound bed that evolves and changes all the time and on top of which I can play other stuff. The NDLR will generate obviously be more ordered pattern :slight_smile:

Thinking about it, with regard to chords, you are right. That would fit better to a combination of synths, one of which is polyphonic, for the pads and chords. Do you manage to contain yourself to only one synth? I have yet to figure out what to do with it but it is not that expensive, which is why I am confident to have some fun with it and not regret it. I also have the impression the device is well build, the screen thought through. I hope they take on feedback from people, or that their processor will be strong enough to add more things in future. There are already good suggestions coming in on their side. I am wondering how happy Kordbot owners are with their box. Not the same but also a way to generate chords more easily.

1 Like

Thanks for your thoughts.

Yeah, this is it exactly – it seems to be built around the music theory of chords. If you’re taking up three of the A4’s voices with the simplest of chords then you’re only left with a single remaining voice :frowning: … not using the NDLR to it’s full capability. Although I see you can limit the note count to one for the drone/pad.

Agreed, I can see how the NDLR would be best suited to being hooked up with several synths with a least one being polyphonic? Unfortunately, my budget has only stretched to a single synth thus far (the A4, I don’t count the 303) and that’s unlikely to change any time soon :smile:

Some thinking to do…

Pattern Editor
Rhythm Editor
Motif Window

This seems to be coming together very well - shipping in July is the current estimate!

Looking forward to taking delivery

2 Likes

This morning, I received a message that checked my delivery informations.
I think that NDLR is on the way of my homstud.

:):yum:

2 Likes

Me too. Getting excited!!!

excellent - looking forward to getting mine, looks like a fab hands-on creativity tool.
my old dusty synths are going to welcome a rejuvenating midi in plug from the NDLR

2 Likes

I think this is a bit unecessary if I have a digitone right, the digitones arpeggiator seems to allow quite an extensive editing, what are your thoughts on it? very nice to see the blofeld handling that demo…

The NDLR is fully p-lockable not the digitone :wink:

1 Like

No one needs this - it is for fun. As the name suggests, it is about noodling, having fun with your synths. While one can plan your midi notes in a DAW and programme everything in your Elektron sequencer, I like the spirit of this machine, expressed by the makers in their videos. I purchased a random tone generator from ElectroHarmonix and fed it into my Eventide H9 and had plenty of fun with the things that came out. I see this in a similar way - I might plug it into the Blofeld or Virus and see what comes out. It may well be that having everything in that one box, one can concentrate more on some aspects of music making that the sequencer programming would not support so well. We shall see and hear!

4 Likes

I see the appeal, it surely does look fun, make sure to share your jams when you get yours, I am curious to see what the creative people in this forum can make with it :slight_smile:

I think this sequencer will perfectly play my synths.
I’m a sequencer addict. I think that they are, with synthesis, the core of electronic music. The cool game is to combine differents sequencer abilities to obtain fun results. I practice a kind of modular way of sequencing.
I’m really exited by NDLR’s instrument behaviour, improvise more than programming. Had the same feeling with Futureretro Zillion, but sold it cause not enough plasticity, a bit too limited by closed algorytm.

1 Like