NAMM 2018 - News, Announcements hopes and rumours

Was reminded of it in the feed I get from Encyclotronic. I agree few, if any Elektronauts members will want it, but I will probably point my guitar and fiddle playing colleagues towards it. With the audio file player, built-in mixer w/ 3 audio inputs, reverb, and stereo widener; and even a basic recorder, it’s a nice little tool for our not so electronically inclined muso friends - for songwriting, practice, and even busking or playing small-venue solo gigs.

1 Like

Hey Guv – Perhaps in a category relative to the Korg KR-55 Pro and also shown at NAMM – The Casio CTX series. (It hasn’t been mentioned here earlier.) I tried to keep my tongue in cheek with the KR-55 (and the Keytar too), but the Casio does appeal to me in a very non-Elektronaut’s reader way.

For the CTX700:

• Portable, with batteries – and with decent built-in speakers.
  • Good though traditional sounding synth, Casio AiX sound engine – that’s cool.
  • 61 Keys – with aftertouch? not sure.
  • All those voices and patterns, for playing with accompaniment. (Cheese to most reading here.)
  • And the CTX700 is only $175 !!! There are higher end models too.

Somehow i don’t think this is the Moog collaboration you mentioned earlier is it GovernorSilver? But Casio, and their new product manager is really serious about getting into the synth business – in ways that may someday appeal to people around here at Elektronauts. (This according to the yap on Sonic Talk 522.)

1 Like

I really wish for something like that, but wasn’t the digitakt presented as a drum machine rather than a sampler?

I agree, this is unlikely to be the product my buds were excitedly texting me about - but not posting at all on the Keyboard magazine forum, where we all met and started hanging out.

My aunt might dig the CTX. She’s using a Yamaha that’s kind of along those lines, as the choir director/accompanist of her church choir. She mastered the arranger-type functions of the Yamaha - all those auto-accompaniment functions - in just about no time.

Casio made some smart hires of late - poaching Rich F.(the guy in the video) from Korg, and Mike Martin from Yamaha.

This is great because kids in schools will finally get keyboards that actually sound good.

1 Like

Yeah Nick Batt mentioned Rich and Mike.

t – The CTX700 is at the sort of price that i could buy a few and give them away to kids who’d be interested in learning to play too. Plus they’re FUN to play. (I mean for kids – not adults like me :rofl:)

They did- but it’s more a mini sampler.

Or perhaps they’ll release a 4 track stereo sampler next?

or the DigiMixx next? The Mini FX processor(and sampler)? Thus resolving my conflicted desire for an OT

Plug-in Software Interface improvements announced at NAMM

Two announcements that should improve the interworking of Plug-ins and DAWs. It’s a little hard to know in detail what effects these will have, but it looks promisingg and it will be interesting to see how this develops.

First Celemony announced ARA-2 (Audio Random Access) an improvement to their ARA interface specification.

The other is from Native Instruments, and unlike the ARA-2 standard which sounds like it is made for any developer, the NI NKS (Native Kontrol Standard ) is intended for interfacing effects with NI Komplete Kontrol keyboards, Maschine, and the Komplete Kontrol software.
https://www.native-instruments.com/forum/threads/native-instruments-announce-nks-effects-waves-sugar-bytes-softtube.324589/

This thing is cool; I’ve always wanted one, but didn’t like how there was no wet/dry control. I prefer how the black one looks; it’d look nice next to the Digitone I think.

Did anyone pickup on this Midi controller?