NAMM 2018 - News, Announcements hopes and rumours

I forgot where it is, Adam Jay knows.
Somebody made a good guess, name and all.

Oh! There were bird whisperings! Cenk was throwing around the :elmm: symbol at the beginning of the Elektron at NAMM thread

1 Like

After a few YouTube videos of this thing in action, I’ll agree your original metaphor nailed it, pretty much bang on.

1 Like

It MIGHT get better- but they really should have held off promoting this thing until there was something special about it.

I just feel bad for the people that wil buy this for 500 to save money on getting an OP-1 and then end up selling it for $150 so they can save up for a Timbre Wolf

2 Likes

It’s Elektron’s version of TE’s pre-NAMM marketing for the new POs.

Both are relatively tighter than Behringer though - that “leak” of theirs about “insanely fat music creation” devices - oh man, so sloppy…

Roland still owns the title of worst pre-release marketing campaigns ever - the infamous yearly countdown. Word must have gotten back to them how many peeps were laughing at them. No wonder they don’t do it anymore. Behringer was just being inept, while Roland was quite deliberate.

2 Likes

You didn’t have to prove anything to me, but hey congrats to Daniel

NAMM highlights for me were ZOIA and the PO 33. I did not see either coming and both look/sound pretty amazing!

I just think it’s fascinating, and a little amusing.

It was entertaining to me as well. Somebody celebrated this past weekend over making the right call re: Digitone but I don’t think it was Daniel.

1 Like

From January: :thinking:

1 Like

As far as favorite NAMM 2018 products, I like the QuBit Nebulae Mk. II and Strymon Magneto.

This might be the year I finally get into Eurocrack, depending on whether I decide to play live with my Folktek Mescaline.

My prediction for Superbooth’18…Elektron will Show a Digidrum. :wink:
Microtonic-esque in the Digitakt form wo sampling.

For sure. I’d prefer them to add drum synthesis to the DT but I don’t think it’s going to happen.

Until they do, PO32 and Microtonic. I just got one a couple of days ago, and I’m blown away by Microtonic. The most amazing drum synth I’ve ever used. The online algorithm he has created to generate evolving drum patches is mind blowing. So excited by this combo and can’t wait to add a PO33 (and maybe the PO35). Amazing stuff to feed the DT and small enough to carry around anywhere (perfect travel gear).

Check out this guy’s videos for an example:

2 Likes

Based on that demo, it does normal or crazy with nothing in between?

What is between normal and crazy, lol? Sorta normal and not-quite crazy? I think it’s limited only by your imagination, programming ability, and skills.

I agree, usually rhythm has some kind of starting point to deviate from, which makes it interesting. to my ears, that demo was someone just hitting buttons. by contrast, the baseck video made the device sound really good. id like to get a couple of these PO doo hickeys.

1 Like

If you are on a computer with flash, check out this site:

The creator of Microtonic has made and algorithm that spawns drum sounds and patterns. People vote on them and those feedback to the algorithm and are compiled into best of lists. These kits and patterns can be immediately copied into Microtonic and in turn added to the PO32. See if you like the sounds. Also, once in Microtonic you can manually tweak all of the kits and patterns to your liking before sending over to the PO.

4 Likes

That application is so brilliant to me

1 Like