MUTE STEP possible?

The problem of these solution is that if the desired step has any p-lock it won’t be completly invisible, it will affect to the sound.

Make it a one shot trig and disarm?

Yes but the op wants a silence step anyway, so does it matter? P lock won’t matter if no sample being triggered, ok they will still function and carry from previous steps but if it’s muted by volume or the ghost it just won’t trigger that step

Maybe I am seeing this different than you

Perhaps OP can explain what he is trying to achieve so the answer is better suited

I thought he meant deactivating a trig, not muting the track.

I guess, it’s about changing the pattern … :wink:

I do this with other hardware sequencers too. Just put a trig on every of the 16 positions and performing muting/unmuting of trigs to gain different rhythmic and melodic patterns.

Theoretically you can achieve this with silent samples, but I would not do this during a live performance. Too complicated. To push down a button is the most easy way to do it.

The silent step may affect a prior triggered step, choking its tail, or transforming it in any way.

That’s why you should use disarmed one shots. They do nothing but retain all plocks.

1 Like

Another solution would be turning the trig into a trigless lock via TRIG + NO. Can be toggled back with + YES. Doesn’t silence the machine, but deactivates the note.

1 Like

Yes but any plocks will still take effect.

Well, I don’t know what would happen, I only can tell you because I’m reading the manual while my new OT arrives.

:joy: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: arrrggggh, do I feel experiments coming on hahaaa.

Looks like the op is on a different time zone to the rest of us, maybe he will look tonight and tell us

Well I just set a long 64 step sample pad on step 1, then p-locked volume muted steps every few steps to create stuttered silence, you just have to remember to re activate the volume with another p-lock immediately afterwards and it keeps playing the remainder of the sample as though nothing changed. P-locks still work on the muted steps also.

Right.

I really like the one-shot disarm way. I use a lot of one-shots for variability so I’d have to work per-trig, but that’s ok. Great tip.

As a curve ball - the midi arp has step disabling, so if used for loopback triggering can be toggled on/off non-destructively per step. And any automation would sit on a separate track. Kinda useful, but not necessarily what OP is after.

How do I do this one shit disarm?

Cheers

Edit: press trig and no? It’s no different from function and trig and using a trigless trig though is it?

Ok maybe I was thinking different again, one shit disarm is just for a sample playing once then just has to be re activated by hitting enter/yes if you want it to re trigger again.

It’s been too long since I took the OT out of the box but IIRC:

Func + regular Trig changes it into a one shot. Pressing No while in Grid Rec mode disarms the one shots on that track. Pressing the one shot once arms them (or maybe just the one you press, because as you said Yes arms all the one shots on the track if you’re in Grid Rec), and pressing an armed one shot changes it into a regular Trig.

Trig + No I think changes the Trig into a trigless Trig and trigless Trig + No changes it into a trigless Lock.

The difference in this case between a trigless Trig and a one shot Trig is that the trigless Trig will execute the plocks and trigger envelopes while not replaying the sample from the start position, whereas a disarmed one shot does not do anything.

Some of this may be wrong, like I said it’s been a while.

1 Like

And coralhex, likewise a nice tip about the arp, I never thought of that since I have MIDI out reserved for other things. Too bad if you have transposition values on the arp, they are not recalled after cycling a step on/off.

J.m
How do I do this one shit disarm?

Not sure. Sounds like some next level Seagal.
Finally letting go of that frown.

JSZ
And coralhex, likewise a nice tip about the arp, I never thought of that since I have MIDI out reserved for other things. Too bad if you have transposition values on the arp, they are not recalled after cycling a step on/off.

Boo! How irritating. Good memory there. Since they are settings rather than trigs, however, they respond to part reload. But man, with only 16 steps, midi hijacking etc, this stuff is already far from optimal.

Correct about the trigs and locks. Should perhaps be mentioned that you can also add trigless trigs with Function + TRIG, both in grid and live record (great for chromatic) mode.

THANKS EVERYBODY,

the closest useful solution was to press TRIG+NO to “mute”
and then TRIG to “unmute”

that helped me achieve my goal enough.

thank you !

jma

3 Likes

Hey - jumping on this a little late, just wondering if theres any way to add a one-shot trig mute to a step you’ve already input a trig on, so when you arm the one-shot trigs, the previously played step in the pattern isn’t trigged?

I take it its probably not, but thought it worth an ask. Would be great for further variation to singular patterns!

Since a one shot is a trig that only plays if it’s armed, there can’t be a one-shot mute, because if it’s a regular trig that plays every time it’s already not a one-shot, and turning it into one would do the opposite of what your after…
Its an OT so there might be some kind of workaround.
I think you’ll have better luck when the conditional trig update comes.
You could use the fill condition to play the one shots and the not fill condition to mute the other trigs, fill can last as long as page button is pressed or can be latched. There’s probably other useful options with conditions as well…

2 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: OT TRig Conditions (TRC) thread