Multiple devices with multiple instances of overbridge

Hi all,

Have just purchased the A4 and AR. They should be with me on Monday. I just wanted to pre empty my setup and see if I need to buy more cabling if overbridge isn’t going to be enough to capture all the channels.

My question is, with overbridge and using the overhub can I have two separate instances of overbridge (one for AR and one for A4) and have them both using multiple channels then running audio out of my UA twin?

Essentially I’d like to be able to record all the individual tracks from both boxes into individual tracks in my DAW (live 9)

Otherwise should I run the AR with overbridge using its 8 channels and then the A4 with stereo 1/4" outs into my UA twin with my minilogue routing through the AR.

The setup in the end is going to be the AR and A4 with my minilogue and live 9 playing live through my UA twin thunderbolt.

Many thanks :pray:

You need to clarify if you’ve bought new (likely a pair of Mk2 machines) or Mk1

With Mk1 you can run two machines together, but you can’t have all available i/o channels per instance (whether running one or both devices)

With Mk2 there is no OB yet released

1 Like

Yes its possible, the only limiting factor is your USB-bandwith whisch can be monitored in OB control panel. You will only need USB-cables, nothing else.

1 Like

thanks for the reply mate.

They are mki machines. I have the latest MacBook Pro which uses USB-C and an overhub.

How would I route the AR, A4 and minilogue to get the best working setup, also if I incorporate an apc40 mkii to control live and record on the fly extras and loops from a mic as well as mpk mini for omnisphere.

Also what is the possibility of just using two TRS to Dual 1/4" TS cables into my UA twin and then running the minilogue through the AR or A4 and recording individual tracks the old fashioned way?

After reading about all the issues with overbridge it seems like a more logical and simpler way to do things.

I also see that I can’t record FX on channels with OB. Is that correct?

A4 OB allows that config of i/o - for AR the inputs only appear at the mains (compressed if you like, but dry unlike A4) along with everything else playing on AR though - so it may make more sense to record Korg in other ways

There are as many experiences as there are ways to connect, in theory it should work simply (my experience on older macs with third party USB hub), in practice it seems to be different for some

The demands on your USB bus from OB isn’t significant, so in principle you should be okay running a pair of Elektrons and a handful of controllers etc (power requirements dependent of course if your hub is unpowered)

There are gremlins with the OB UI for me on my system, so I don’t have much recent working experience to share

Best ask after you try and keep it simple to begin with, one OB device, then build from there … there’ll be discussions on the modern Mac hardware/software in other threads

It’s arguably worth waiting for the as yet unannounced release date OB2 and for now just focus on learning the devices

2 Likes

Correct. Since the effects are master effects, there are no FX audible on the single channels via OB.

@tnussb Is this true for the AR and A4?

So essentially for me to be able to utilize the effects I should just run both of them to my soundcard via their individual stereo outs and use overbridge for automation and then just record them seperately the old hook way if I want to process individual instruments in my DAW?

Both use a single digital send FX block, so all individual outs are dry (this applies to all current OB devices btw)

1 Like

@avantronica would you then auggest me having the A4 route into the AR then into my UA twin. Then I can just mute tracks to record if I want to process them seperately?

… if you want to pass through AR compressor

AR inputs are ready for a hot signal which you may not get from a given A4 track

A4 inputs have gain, not in the AR

If capturing something was worthwhile, I’d unplug and capture direct, best find what works for you when you try things out, not too many options

either way, it’s always an option to use OB1 and solo tracks so they get the wet send returned at the mains and do this for other tracks/devices

1 Like

Not sure if it was mentioned yet, but you could use OB with one machine and the individual jack outs with the other. That way you’d be able to capture everything easily.
Ooor: you go OB for both and use two computers :wink: (I’ve seriously considered that before).