MPC Thread : MPC Live - MPC X - MPC One (Part 1)

So, I spent some minutes with Andy Mac here in Helsinki Synthetic, he showed me the MPC X and Live and I focused my questions on the MIDI sequencing capabilities, overall, you can basically do anything with it… I was pretty impressed by what it can do, he moves super fast through the screen menus, but I thought he had to click a lot to execute basic functions…
I was though unimpressed with something. As he was playing around 5 tracks of sequenced audio with automation, while he clicked to change menus, this little bar that moves around to show you the tempo on the top of the screen seemed to have some very noticeable LAG, the screen menu change got quite slow at times as well… I wonder if it can REALLY do all they say it can, hence he was not doing anything complex (like running VSTs, or all the audio tracks)…

I also had completely forgotten TORAIZ SP16 as mentioned here, it looks like Pioneer is putting some very nice Firmware updates, the most recent midi implementation, looks like it can do a lot of what an Octatrack can (on midi seqs)… and the device was done with Dave Smith, creator of the MPC form factor, and Pioneer products are top quality…

Well… at this moment I am leaning heavily towards Toraiz16…

Roger Linn was the creator of MPC Form factor :wink:

7 Likes

OH YEAH hahahaha :smile:

sure they’re basically the same person :slight_smile:

3 Likes

You can do that on all the mpcs. It is pretty much standard

1 Like

yes. delivery on 12th may <3

1 Like
2 Likes

I do not like these non-simultaneous product launches worldwide :angry:

3 Likes

i happen to live close to hollywood guitar center, they are usually one of the very first stores in the states to get new gear, for example i managed to get serial #7 moog mother 32 from them the day their shipment came in, when i went to pick it up the mpc live the other day they said they still had 3 left

between work and kids i have to fight for time to learn this thing, once i get a better handle i’ll try to do some videos, still need to link up external stuff into it, i’ve just been using it standalone…

apparently it can charge from usb too, it was silly of me to go out of my way finding the one ranger station in the angeles forest with an exposed power plug, i could have just charged it from a usb phone charger in the car

i had a little bit of time before work, just doing some kit setup before i go in
https://scontent.cdninstagram.com/t51.2885-15/e35/18251803_1907418599474663_4296435341591576576_n.jpg

9 Likes

From the picture it looks like you painted that bitch (sic) and are calling in a drone strike! :joy:

Sweet! How’s it feeling? How’s stuff like Timestrech algo? Pitch algo? Overall feeling like a unit/unique instrument vs squished daw/ipad + controller combo?

I just got mine in the mail now in Canada. Going to drive my modules with it right now and see if the Pro 2 can be used as a midi key for it.

Any questions, I will try and post as many videos to answer as I can.

7 Likes

Enjoy :slight_smile: Yeh please post vids of anything you think might be of interest :wink:

1 Like

Where did you order from in Canada? I didn’t think any Canadian retailers had any yet.

He ordered from us. Few posts up…

my main question is if:

1. it takes midi controllers, as it was stated in some videos
    and if the answer is yes, then:
  2. if there’s a way to control Q-links with it

also curious about lag in standalone when working with fx/many tracks/etc… and if the fx are any good :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

Hi Mr. Future!

I’d really appreciate it if you could see whether you can assign external midi controllers to control things like the cutoff of a pad… you know, CC15 controls cutoff of pad A3, stuff like that.

I know you’ll get bogged with these, no stress :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Not a problem. I’ll see if I can do that. I’m not efficiant in moving around Live just yet as its very different from my 2000XL. But I will do this. I’m going to create a youtube account now to upload the videos to so everyone can see.

6 Likes

Awesome, I’d really like to know this too.