MPC Thread : MPC Live - MPC X - MPC One (Part 1)

They’ve said in about 10 of the video presentations you can use USB midi controllers :wink:

2 Likes

USB Rode NT should be cool too :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

It’s amazing how easy it is for enthusiasm to be cooled. iLok isn’t great and the vibe from other forums is that 2.0 isn’t the killer upgrade folks had hoped for.

I’ve recently rediscovered Maschine and had a Jam arrive yesterday. Great fun and the browser is superb - something the MPC software apparently blows at. I’m still waiting on some serious user videos and from what I gather these will be readily available - no Elektron shortages for example - so not rushing this one.

Every day I think something different - sometimes I’m all for an OT/A4 combo, then I’m on to DT, then back to Live. Never ending haha!

3 Likes

very cool.

as regards iLok, as i would personally use Live only in hardware mode, and the iLok is only for software mode usage, that makes no difference to me.

personally my 5-year-plan gear acquisition syndrome shopping list currently includes a Digitakt, a Deepmind 6, and the Akai mpc Live.

I rediscovered my Maschine MK2 and I’m loving it. At a time I had a pre-order for the MPC Live, then I realised that most of the time I would make music at my desk, with the laptop nearby anyway so I’d rather stick to something I know and I know it works well…
I’d love to try Maschine Jam to see how it integrates with MK2.

fun fact:
besides unboxing videos, not one useful clip uploaded to youtube…
what happened after unboxing?
end of enthusiasm and euphoria?

2 Likes

All I can think of is that those who received it were somehow “special users” who have been asked to not post anything about the mpc in action…

which would lead to nonsense as everyone else is frustrated.
it’s like waving a sausage before a dog…
I do not care at all, I am happy with my OT since 1,5 years and I gueess this will last a while :slight_smile:

A discussion on facebook group :

Is it true warp/time stretch doesnt work other than in audio tracks and clip launching in standalone? Akai have repeatedly said it will warp any sample in any mode. Its a dealbreaker in regards of real time timestretch that it works in drum mode!

It also works in drum and key group mode.
But not from the hardware…

Select all Pads (I do this in program edit mode from the touch) and press the warp button in the 2.0 desktop software.Sometimes you have to enter the original bpm of the samples or slices.
Could be a problem for live users in standalone mode.
Didn’t find a way to do this from the hardware.
Also 16 levels is timestretched…

Ok, it doesnt work in standalone mode then as you have to connect to a computer and do it with the mouse in the computer screen? Seriously, fuck Akai for selling the product with fals information!

I know its a bummer!
Let akai know over here: https://c.getsatisfaction.com/akai_professional/topics/mpc-2-0-beta-software-user-discussion

Anyway i don’t think i will use warp/time stretch on drum program and keygroup program… as it’s main purpose is for one shot :joy: people are strange to put loops in this two kind of programs…

Wtf? Lame if you need to set timestrech up on computer. But I’m sure there were videos where Andy Mac turned it on/off from the hardware in standalone? Maybe it was just cleverly made to look that way? Looked legit tho…

Edit - there was that Q+A vid series by that guy from Akai forum. Andy sat down and turned on timestrech then played a sample chromatically in 16 levels mode or whatever its called. At least that’s how I remember it? I’m confused…

1 Like

i will not be too exigent on that one… unlimited (memory) programs polyphonically played and 8 slots for long textures. that’s all i need. :stuck_out_tongue:

Edit : @Callofthevoid probably user issues as they have already problem to find manual in the software, printing and put more effort in studying the gear… hey you know as usually lazy people :wink: but no doubt they will be things inside on how it works we didn’t like it also too …

1 Like

Yeh I’m sure I ticked off this kind of stuff from demo vids but be good to get some clarification on workflow once reviews/vids show up (from people who’ve read the manual :wink:

1 Like

I had a Mk1 and dug it out a few weeks back. I was in one of my ruts and thought I’d go back to where I was when I got back into music after like a 10 year gap. Instant fun and while it was just jamming around with nothing saved I really had a blast. Got a Jam at a good price and it integrates amazingly well. Great look and feel to it.

Stay clear of NI’s community forum though - loads of whinging about the lack of progress in Maschine’s development. I largely work in midi anyway so most of the complaints don’t really impact me in the slightest but it’s one hell of a buzzkill!

1 Like

Reading the comments you linked to it sounds like the standalone timestrech mode might have issues. Apparently users are finding the ‘pro’ timestrech fine but issues when using the basic timestrech mode, which I’m guessing is the one you’re limited to when running standalone…

huh okay :slight_smile: i do not read the comments on the link just the on facebook

Yeh, was just saying that the Facebook comments seemed vague/poss user error. But it sounds like there’s a different, genuine issue from what people are saying on the page you linked to :frowning:

1 Like

in the meantime that’s the purpose of Beta… to fix things and make better for the Release candidate

2 Likes

Yeh, hopefully they’ll iron it all out. Just I always had a ‘too good to be true’ feeling about the Live. Be a shame if they’ve underpowered/overstretched it and are subsequently forced to use weak timestrech algos/fx etc just to hit the price point and offer so many tracks/voice count/fx instances etc… £800 seems like a bargain… But I’d have happily paid a little more for a little less if it means the difference between ‘wow’ and ‘meh’ with the aspects that actually colour the sounds (fx/timestrech/pitch etc)…

Like you say tho, hopefully these are just beta issues and things can be done to polish it up, hardware spec permitting… Or maybe it’ll be kind of shitty sounding but in a cool way. Lots of ‘maybes’ atm!

2 Likes

It is amazing I agree. If getting hold of a dongle, plugging it in and registering it is a deal breaker I can imagine they never really wanted this thing in the first place… same goes for any software that requires a dongle really…
As for 2.0… it’s bound to have bugs and be unfinished, it’s beta… and tbh the tethering to a computer was surely the least impressive selling point here… so yeah, maybe these folkes where jus not as sold on it as they thought they where initially. There’s always going to be something tho… like with any new gear.

I’m pretty sure all these things will work out over the coming weeks… hopefully not years tho : )