Moog Grandmother

The moog sounds better in that it’s more flexible. Sure the brute will work for grimy techno, but not much else. Where as if you want to make grimy techno with the moog you can just slap a tube screamer on it.

The brute is so much more than just a synth though. The ease of use and work flow might make up the lack of audio depth. The mod matrix is also a huge feature. The moog has a few patch points too, but not like the brute does.

1 Like

This does not really do anything for me as I have a Moog Sub 37. Now if someone donated a System 15 Moog to me that would be fun. I am actually more excited by this synth:

2 Likes

I just don’t agree with this. Of course it sounds better to you; I can understand that.

The G’Ma came out, and I actually considered getting it. But then I ordered a Malekko Manther on Monday, and Hypersynth Xenophone on Tuesday instead. All of a sudden I craved some gnarly analog monos in my life, and chose these two after deep consideration.

I’m playing with the Manther right now, and I’m quite pleased with my decision. I’ve already owned the Xenophone before, so I know exactly what to expect once that arrives.

I also have money set aside for one more mono, and I’m going to spend it on the Dreadbox Medusa instead of the G’Ma. Again, it’s all totally subjective, and I imagine these different synths contributing to a sound I’m trying to develop for myself right now.

I definitely think the G’Ma sounds good though. I could picture myself getting one someday.

All these synths you are buying Prints.
Just curious you sold them all for the Virus a few months ago, but buying more now? Have you still got the Virus and why need these ones now?

I returned the Virus. That was a hard one to return though. I just wanted to play with all these new synths too much.

The Digitone changed the way I did a lot of things, and I wanted really drastic analog contrasts. Then, I started wanting variations. And now here I am; I can’t take any classes this summer so I’ll have time to actually mess around more with music, and am just buying things I want.

I don’t know. It’s been over two decades of me playing with every piece of gear I’ve ever wanted to try. This is all normal to me.

Anyhow, the Manther is way up my alley right now. I’ll try to post a demo. It sounds really cool and evil. The Xenophone sounds evil as hell too. I’m really into synths that can sound evil lately.

Good to know, there’s a Medusa thread here

2 Likes

Yea would love a Dreadbox at some point but someone was telling me it sounds too much like a Moog.

When I fist saw the Moog Granny I thought it was either a piss take or one of those one off/quirky things that happen now and again. Never in a million years did I think this was going in to production!

I’ve now watched a few videos and got to say, if I was looking for a mono, this would be well up there on the list. Has a great, quirky sound - the spring reverb is lovely to my ears - and just seems, well, different. I like different!

Really enjoyed the video that showed the build process too.

2 Likes

Sold out at Guitar Center.

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Moogfest-Synth-Sale.gc?icid=411073

Just as well, as I was hooked on the idea of running guitar/violin through the filter; when really I should just get a filter pedal like the Chase Bliss Condor.

Here’s some demos I did for you guys:

11 Likes

FM stuff sounds cool.
Were you using the linear fm input?
What were you feeding into the input?
Does it have filter fm also? Sounds like some filter fm in there also?

1 Like

The LFO is pre-patched to the filter to let you do filter FM. It sounds really good.
That second demo you’re hearing both linear FM and filter FM. (both coming from the LFO actually)
From the LFO to the attenuator, from the attenuator to the linear FM.

The LFO goes nicely up into the audio range and can track 1v/Oct so you can use it as a 3rd oscillator.

These are the kinds of sounds I was really hoping this thing could do and it does them really well.

7 Likes

Awesome

1 Like

Thanks for putting this together, this is one of the better sounding monosynths I’ve heard in a while. Just classic. That FM is awesome. Now I’m curious how if it can do acid patches…

Bass stuff and FM sound really good

Yeah from what I’ve heard this is the best sounding mono released lately for sure

this synth sounds great. sure hope they have another batch avaiable by the end of the year.
personally, i hope they keep the color scheme as well.

Really enjoyed this… and that FM sounds marvelous.

hey, thanks for all your demos, i have i question if you can take a bit time to answer, what is the (significant) difference in cv ins and outs between granny and ms 20 ?

Is the case metal or plastic? Sorry if it’s been answered already. :slight_smile: